compton /appleton #1

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Well if thats what happened after, that was executed perfectly.

But now I see, Chip skimming off the 8 and putting the cueball back in the same position with the 8 ball better in play.

I had to go back to this post so I could get a point across to those that really don't understand what "the grind" is all about. In this situation there is really only a few good options, and neither of the options figures to disentangle you from the trap you're confronted with, but they will force your opponent to perform. That's what is considered "the grind" Forcing your opponent to perform, in spite of the figured return option you may leave for him as a return shot. Some players/people look too much into this type of a situation and and see that there are possible decent return options that may become available after their option is executed, and then treat it as a deterrent and look elsewhere, when there really isn't "elsewhere" available. Lets use a tennis match as a comparison.:D When returning a good serve you're figured to be forced to hit back a shot that leaves a decent return shot for your opponent, however, you really don't have much choice, so you do what you can do and hope that your opponent doesn't perform.;) I said in an earlier post that, nothing beats a failure but a try If you're confronted with a similar situation don't allow your understanding of a "forced option" being a deterrent, instead look at it as the correct shot that forces your opponent to perform. That's what a "grind" is all about.:D

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I had to go back to this post so I could get a point across to those that really don't understand what "the grind" is all about. In this situation there is really only a few good options, and neither of the options figures to disentangle you from the trap you're confronted with, but they will force your opponent to perform. That's what is considered "the grind" Forcing your opponent to perform, in spite of the figured return option you may leave for him as a return shot. Some players/people look too much into this type of a situation and and see that there are possible decent return options that may become available after their option is executed, and then treat it as a deterrent and look elsewhere, when there really isn't "elsewhere" available. Lets use a tennis match as a comparison.:D When returning a good serve you're figured to be forced to hit back a shot that leaves a decent return shot for your opponent, however, you really don't have much choice, so you do what you can do and hope that your opponent doesn't perform.;) I said in an earlier post that, nothing beats a failure but a try If you're confronted with a similar situation don't allow your understanding of a "forced option" being a deterrent, instead look at it as the correct shot that forces your opponent to perform. That's what a "grind" is all about.:D

Dr. Bill

" nothing beats a failure but a try".. and " you can't see the forest through the trees".. What the hell are you going Phil Jackson on us you ZEN MASTER? Oh by the way on your last walk through the forest when you were taking a piss behind one of those trees... check your shoes you might have stepped in some raccoon shit:eek::D

unoperro

Verified Member

Dr. Bill

Good advice there. Thanks for the analogy.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

Dr. Bill

Thanks, Bill.

That is very good and helpful.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
" nothing beats a failure but a try".. and " you can't see the forest through the trees".. What the hell are you going Phil Jackson on us you ZEN MASTER? Oh by the way on your last walk through the forest when you were taking a piss behind one of those trees... check your shoes you might have stepped in some raccoon shit:eek::D

I always liked that saying="Don't shit where you eat". But, I mean, if you have to be told that, then I don't know if I can help ya much.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I'm going to see my optometrist this week to get fitted for glasses (pool shooting glasses) where the prescription is higher on the lens, then i'm going to have a qualified maker of billiard eyeglasses make me a pair of glasses. Hopefully that will help me pocket those shots that i've been missing all too regularly.:eek: If not then i'm just going to have to make better games.:D

Bill, in your case, if I were you I would put my glasses on to view the monitor, surely you can see that the 5ball is covered and not an option.:sorry But if it wasn't, your shot would be the best option.

Dr. Bill

I assumed one could see enough of the five :sorry, but another perspective, thin cut the 15 ball into the two balls on the foot rail and kick the five towards your hole, a RA shot, and the fifteen might go off the double carom. The forward movement of the cue ball could be increased due to the stun hit off the five. :D

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I assumed one could see enough of the five :sorry, but another perspective, thin cut the 15 ball into the two balls on the foot rail and kick the five towards your hole, a RA shot, and the fifteen might go off the double carom. The forward movement of the cue ball could be increased due to the stun hit off the five. :D

There have been many times when you have come up with the best shots using your advanced imagination. Yes I say advanced because you often think "outside the box" which to me is very informative and interesting, and quite often you uncover options that are disguised as "out of bounds" when actually they turn out to be viable options.:heh:D However, with that being said, I believe that this opotion falls under the "out of bounds" category.:sorry:)

Please continue, love your input.:D:D

Dr. Bill

New 2 You Qs

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Well this is the perfect time to play the reverse three cushion around the table shot that we practice but very seldom use in a game. As you can clearly see the left side of the cue ball is open for the left spin that is required for this shot to be executed. I would shoot this shot with the speed to go around the table and end up near the side rail 2-1/2 diamonds up from my opponents pocket.

Just something to think about the next time it shows.:D

Dr. Bill

I used to practice that shot a lot when I was playing more 1P than banks. I just tried it on my table with the layout shown, and it is amazing how easy that is to execute. Thanks for reminding me of that shot.

Jamie <---- getting the 1P bug again