for tyler

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
heres your question i couldnt quote it

How much natural ability do you have to possess to be a top one pocket player. This is such an interesting game, it isn't like 9 ball, or is it? I guess my question is, can you overcome, to a large extent, a relative lack of talent with sheer great shot selection and mental discipline. And if so, to what extent

buy this dvd
http://www.1vshop.com/Accu-Stats/st...AME="San+Jose+Dick"+McMorran+vs.+Cliff+Joyner

its dick past his prime vs cliff joyner
there is /was no lack of talent on dicks part in his prime
but having just watched it again he missed many shots the top level players would make

BUT he realized this and passed up some shots to play

so it was his great shot selection and discipline is what got him the win

dick if you read this post
im curious if you would give us at least a half serious commentary of how you thought you were playing and how you decided on a strategy to win and any other comments you wish to offer

i wanted to post a what would you do here selection
but there were no surprises except when dick passed on a shot some straight shooters would have taken except he decided to play a great safety

Last edited:

tylerdurden

Verified Member

How much natural ability do you have to possess to be a top one pocket player. This is such an interesting game, it isn't like 9 ball, or is it? I guess my question is, can you overcome, to a large extent, a relative lack of talent with sheer great shot selection and mental discipline. And if so, to what extent

buy this dvd
http://www.1vshop.com/Accu-Stats/st...AME="San+Jose+Dick"+McMorran+vs.+Cliff+Joyner

but having just watched it again he missed many shots the top level players would make

BUT he realized this and passed up some shots to plat great safeties
and mixed up the moving and shooting enough to WIN

im curious if you would give us at least a half serious commentary of how you thought you were playing and how you decided on a strategy to win and any other comments you wish to offer

but there were no surprises except when dick passed on a shot some straight shooters would have taken except he decided to play a great safety

I have that DVD, a reason why I am a secret (shot) admirer of Dick's.

There have been threads from that match in the distant past. There was a ob 2 rail out of cliff's end rail side then cb into the stack shot that just absolutely mesmorized me when I saw it -- i still don't quite "see" that shot as well as i'd like. It is all here, in the annals of onepocket.org somewhere :)

In my estimation, dick was playing about D+ player speed offensively that day (kidding by the way:)) But, so true. That is a great match to partly answer my questions -- as we all know, that question could never be fully answered :)

Very important note in that match is the hill hill game. I have read artie mention stuff like this as well...... notice Dick gave cliff a shot from the end rail (perhaps doing this knowing he was somewhat frustrated was even stronger on his part)... shoot it (maybe a 40% make??), you may get a few, miss it and it is over. I mean who do you gotta like there? Efren would have made it though, but dick would not have put efren there -- this is why i love that match, and why i love one pocket too i guess.

Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
The basic tenant of one pocket is to get 8 balls in your pocket.

You can't do this by moving the balls around. You have to shoot them in you pocket.

It's good to play smart and move well but in the end you have to shoot well to win.

Bill S.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

buy this dvd

BUT he realized this and passed up some shots to play

Larry,

Did you notice the part where it says it hasn't been converted to DVD yet? I guess everybody except AccuStats has that match on DVD already.

Dennis

Accu-Stats - Windows Internet Explorer_2011-12-16_10-46-13.jpg

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I'll tell you guy's, I was less than thrilled with my draw. Cliff was definately one of the pre-tournament favorites in 1998. I new I was scheduled to play him, but I did not know it was going to be on the TV table, until they called me to the table...That was my first match ever on TV, and I was very nervous and felt very "doggy" (and underdressed, Cliff wore a suit, I think HE knew.:cool:)

It was also the first match I played, on the first day I got there, and the first time I had ever played on a Diamond table. Despite the lights, the table was pretty damp, and the balls were very clammy and very prone to skidding and grabbing...The atrium, at the Belle of Baton Rouge, was very close to playing outdoors.

Enough excuses...I managed to scratch out a narrow win, while playing several balls under the way I played on any Gold Crown, in Arizona... I think game 5 was my best game..We had a real end game battle in that one, and I've always considered myself very competetive with anyone at that part of the game.

Cliff had the break in game 7 (race to 4) and I managed to get out of it somewhat, but I left him a long shot, from further off the rail than I meant to, but it was pretty risky...anyway, he missed it about a foot, knocked all the balls over towards my hole, and I managed to stumble 8 and out...I think my high run up to that point, was about 2..:rolleyes:

I have watched that match several times over the years, and I still can't believe I won it..I wish I could say I had some grand plan, but all I remember is, I was in lock down defense mode, and scared to shoot anything but a hangar..That was not my normal MO..but at 64, thats all I had going for me..:frus

Thanks for asking Larry and Tyler...By the way, I think Diamond is the best table out there now...But, I STILL can't play on 'em..:eek:

HalfDuck

SJDinPHX

Suspended
The basic tenant of one pocket is to get 8 balls in your pocket.

You can't do this by moving the balls around. You have to shoot them in you pocket.

It's good to play smart and move well but in the end you have to shoot well to win.

Bill S.

Thats true Bill, but its hard to shoot good, if you don't get a shot... (and you are being moved into a coma)..;) :cool: :p

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I'll tell you guy's, I was less than thrilled with my draw. Cliff was definately one of the pre-tournament favorites in 1998. I new I was scheduled to play him, but I did not know it was going to be on the TV table, until they called me to the table...That was my first match ever on TV, and I was very nervous and felt very "doggy" (and underdressed, Cliff wore a suit, I think HE knew.:cool:)

It was also the first match I played, on the first day I got there, and the first time I had ever played on a Diamond table. Despite the lights, the table was pretty damp, and the balls were very clammy and very prone to skidding and grabbing...The atrium, at the Belle of Baton Rouge, was very close to playing outdoors.

Enough excuses...I managed to scratch out a narrow win, while playing several balls under the way I played on any Gold Crown, in Arizona... I think game 5 was my best game..We had a real end game battle in that one, and I've always considered myself very competetive with anyone at that part of the game.

Cliff had the break in game 7 (race to 4) and I managed to get out of it somewhat, but I left him a long shot, from further off the rail than I meant to, but it was pretty risky...anyway, he missed it about a foot, knocked all the balls over towards my hole, and I managed to stumble 8 and out...I think my high run up to that point, was about 2..:rolleyes:

I have watched that match several times over the years, and I still can't believe I won it..I wish I could say I had some grand plan, but all I remember is, I was in lock down defense mode, and scared to shoot anything but a hangar..That was not my normal MO..but at 64, thats all I had going for me..:frus

Thanks for asking Larry and Tyler...By the way, I think Diamond is the best table out there now...But, I STILL can't play on 'em..:eek:

HalfDuck

Oh please. Dont be too modest. It doesn't suit you :) I'm gonna find that 2 railer (ob) and into stack with cb shot you did one of these days. That is one if you know you will get some serious extra dough in your pocket overt the years. Best.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I'll tell you guy's, I was less than thrilled with my draw. Cliff was definately one of the pre-tournament favorites in 1998. I new I was scheduled to play him, but I did not know it was going to be on the TV table, until they called me to the table...That was my first match ever on TV, and I was very nervous and felt very "doggy" (and underdressed, Cliff wore a suit, I think HE knew

Cliff had the break in game 7 (race to 4) and I managed to get out of it somewhat, but I left him a long shot, from further off the rail than I meant to, but it was pretty risky...anyway, he missed it about a foot, knocked all the balls over towards my hole, and I managed to stumble 8 and out...I think my high run up to that point, was about 2..

HalfDuck

thanks for the reply dick:)
another champion quality i noticed during the match was even when a shot
...ahem didnt go as planned:rolleyes:
your demeanor through out was very matter of fact and even keeled
you didnt get mad at yourself
also when cliff got several good rolls you just accepted the position he left you
you just matter of factly kept plugging along
until victory
for mr. strouds sake you did make some beautiful shots and had an 8 and out:)
not too shabby