Ball on break

Eengat

Verified Member
How is a ball on the break made in onepocket? Saw some footage of Joyner vs Frost where i think both were trying to make it...superthin on first ball?

AndyB

i use high, inside english and try to think about cutting the headball into the side pocket while making as much contact with the second ball as possible. That's my line of thinking anyway, whether that's really what is happening I don't know.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
How is a ball on the break made in onepocket? Saw some footage of Joyner vs Frost where i think both were trying to make it...superthin on first ball?

Superthin is a popular theory. It's about the table, some hit between the 2nd and 3rd ball on certain tables and make one once in a while.
I really have no idea, I try not to make one, but it happens once in a while.
Rod.

TomRoden

Verified Member
aim for the diamond

aim for the diamond

While learning the break try to aim the front ball to the middle diamond on your side. Use top inside. If you use more side than top you stand a good chance of scratching. Don't blow the game on the break.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
My observation, from watching lots of match videos, is that making a ball on the break is the result of certain tables, from a certain side, and under certain moisture conditions. I watched Pagulayan make three out of four, and almost make the other one, against Jose Parica. It was definitely the deciding factor in a close match, as he went eight and out once or twice. They seem to come in bunches. It's there, or it's not, and often from only one side. The rack can be part of the answer. Check it well.

I have seen Corey Deuel wait until the balls are racked, and then inspect the rack, before deciding where to break from. Does he see something? Who knows?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
My observation, from watching lots of match videos, is that making a ball on the break is the result of certain tables, from a certain side, and under certain moisture conditions. I watched Pagulayan make three out of four, and almost make the other one, against Jose Parica. It was definitely the deciding factor in a close match, as he went eight and out once or twice. They seem to come in bunches. It's there, or it's not, and often from only one side. The rack can be part of the answer. Check it well.

I have seen Corey Deuel wait until the balls are racked, and then inspect the rack, before deciding where to break from. Does he see something? Who knows?

I agree Bill, It could be either the table, or the rack (wet, dry, etc)...I have always focused on putting the cue ball in the ideal spot (side rail, diamond below side)..I've seen many long sessions, where NO ONE made a ball on the break..Hard to believe its actually 'playable', if the balls are racked correctly ! :cool:

I also use straight side English, 3 or 9:00...Much easier to control your speed, than putting multiple spin on the cue ball. (easier to demonstrate, than to explain)

Last edited:

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
i got beat by shane little at dcc last winter 3-0 :frus

anyway, there was a ball made on the break all three games. i think it had to be relegated to the condition of the equipment at that particular finite time.

DWS has an uncanny ability to pocket a ball on the break.

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
...like everyone here has said....table conditions are very relevant to making a ball on the break.....the "roll"...of the table will be seen either with pregame warm up or as the match progresses.....but, I believe a starting point is where You break the rack......I actually make a ball on the break quite often...and I start by positioning the white ball...as close to the line as possible....and just far enough from the rail to make the bridge comfortable....then I aim for the second ball....right through the head ball (as if it weren't there at all)....with top inside English...and pocket speed (just enough to make the corner ball into the pocket)....every onepocket player will develop an aiming point as their experience grows.....

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I've always thought it was driven by a gap in the back row of balls between the corner ball and the adjacent ball. I mean the corner ball that's on the side where the breaker's pocket is; if there's a gap on the other side, then the opponent's corner ball is liable to pop out unfavorably.

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
From
Middle Tennessee
Try breaking with only using the first 3 balls (triangle). Make sure the balls are tight. Put the cue ball near the head string, close to the rail. Hit the head ball thin and after several tries you will understand how to make the end ball.

Then when breaking with a full rack make sure the balls on the side you are breaking to are tight.