Diamond Pro

baby huey

Verified Member
I disagree about the red label vs. the blue label tables. I have two red label Diamonds in my room and I prefer them over the blue label.The reason being the blue label rolls too much and just plays too long. Obviously that's me owning red label tables but I blame Diamond for changing the equipment so drastically. Why would you sell thousands of tables then suddenly change the rubber and pitch (angle) of the cut? For those old timers, remember how consistent the Gold Crowns played from room to room back in the sixties and seventies. That's because Brunswick didn't fool around with the table once it found what worked. You can actually go back to the Anniversary and Centennial that morphed into the Gold Crown. Diamond needs to keep its product consistent to maintain the tables play from room to room.

treeMan

Verified Member
I disagree about the red label vs. the blue label tables. I have two red label Diamonds in my room and I prefer them over the blue label.The reason being the blue label rolls too much and just plays too long. Obviously that's me owning red label tables but I blame Diamond for changing the equipment so drastically. Why would you sell thousands of tables then suddenly change the rubber and pitch (angle) of the cut? For those old timers, remember how consistent the Gold Crowns played from room to room back in the sixties and seventies. That's because Brunswick didn't fool around with the table once it found what worked. You can actually go back to the Anniversary and Centennial that morphed into the Gold Crown. Diamond needs to keep its product consistent to maintain the tables play from room to room.

I have to agree with Jerry. I've only played on two Diamond tables here in the San Francisco bay area (at the Broken Rack in Emeryville). Based on the comments here I am certain they were red labels. They completely fit the description - bank extremely short, and the rails seem to inject juice into the ball (obviously it's impossible for the ball to come off the rail faster than it went in, but is feels like that because the rails absorb much less cueball speed).

I came up on Gold Crowns and needless to say the Diamonds gave me fits, the ratio of bed speed to rail speed was so different that I lost all speed control :(.

However, just like anything else, it's an adjustment. Once I got used to the table, which didn't take too long, I begin to like it for two reasons:

- Faster is better. You can do more on a faster table where the rails don't suck the life out of the cue ball, imo.
- I could pinch (shorten) and make some banks with an easy stroke that would never go on a GC. Again, more possibilities.

Anyway that's my fraction of a cent. I wish there were more diamonds around here and that I could try playing on a Blue Label.

I'm still happier on a well setup GC, but the red Diamond does offer more possibilities that a player can take advantage of if he/she adjusts properly.

tree

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I too played on Gold Crowns in the beginning and really preferred them over the diamonds but in time learned to really like the play and feel of the diamonds.

This may be a silly reason but the raised part over each pocket on the GC annoy me now if I go play on one since playing on the diamonds since they have a more flat surface to place your bridge hand ;)

youngstown

Verified Member
There's nothing wrong with Diamond evolving their tables!

The only consistent criticism I've heard and agree with was that the red labels banked short. Fixed. Done. Now it's hard to find anything wrong with the Blue labels, right? It's just too bad that most of the pool halls that have 30k in red labels or Professionals will not get new equipment for a long time, so we'll still have to live with it.

PS - The Black label must be from the dark side of the moon. ??

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
My sense is that Diamond brought out the Blue Label rails to accommodate people whining about the rails banking short in comparison to GCs. I think Diamond has created the best of both worlds.

IMO the modern Diamond is a superior table. The rail surfaces are more comfortable, and the pocket shelves are deeper, making it slightly more challenging to pocket balls.

I too grew up on GCs (and others). But with the new Blue Label Diamonds, I'd never go back.;)

~Doc

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
In my neck of the woods, GC's are the rule. Very few diamonds around and those that are here aren't set up well. Bogies has one diamond red label Pro-Am that is done well. I believe it has had the blue label rail conversion kit installed because I played it for a month prior to the derby and noticed little difference between it and the derby tables except that they had new cloth.

Although I much prefer the diamond now, I have to go back to the GC's because the people I play here don't like to play on the diamond. I wish we had more. I like the way they bank much better than the GC's