Playing The Score

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i did not want to ask this in the crazy little shots thread so here goes . if you need 10 and he needs 5 the spot could be 10-7 or 10-5 /6 for example. my question the bigger the spread in how many balls final score to win should imply the difference in skill ie the person getting 10-7 is a better player than the one getting 10-5. the lesser player is less of a threat so even with you needing 10 and he needing five would you be more conservative with the lesser player figuring you'll get your chance to come back rather than take a lower percentage shot and give him an opportunity? against the better player it will be more difficult to come back from such a deficit so you play more aggressive. is this a good approach to the situation?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
giving up weight

giving up weight

lll said:
i did not want to ask this in the crazy little shots thread so here goes . if you need 10 and he needs 5 the spot could be 10-7 or 10-5 /6 for example. my question the bigger the spread in how many balls final score to win should imply the difference in skill ie the person getting 10-7 is a better player than the one getting 10-5. the lesser player is less of a threat so even with you needing 10 and he needing five would you be more conservative with the lesser player figuring you'll get your chance to come back rather than take a lower percentage shot and give him an opportunity? against the better player it will be more difficult to come back from such a deficit so you play more aggressive. is this a good approach to the situation?

You better get more agressive when they need 1 or 2 balls, other than that you need to play safe, but not move the balls up table until you have a lead. Wait for the guy going to 5 to scratch. This is only my feeble opinion, but the way I try to play.
PS; sometimes you have no choice but to move the balls uptable.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
androd said:
You better get more agressive when they need 1 or 2 balls, other than that you need to play safe, but not move the balls up table until you have a lead. Wait for the guy going to 5 to scratch. This is only my feeble opinion, but the way I try to play.
DONT TAKE A CHANCE UNLESS YOU HAVE TO. OR YOU HAVE A GOOD SHOT TO RUN OUT. WAITE TELL YOU GET A FREE SHOT OR A SHOT YOU CANT MISS. IF YOU ARE SPOTTING SOME ONE 10 TO 5 ITS BECAUSE YOU SHOOT BETTER AND MOVE BETTER. SO waite for a good shot. Some players cant waite the shoot at everything. Shannon is won of those players. BUt its ok if you make the shot. Its your choice.

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
Artie Bodendorfer said:
DONT TAKE A CHANCE UNLESS YOU HAVE TO. OR YOU HAVE A GOOD SHOT TO RUN OUT. WAITE TELL YOU GET A FREE SHOT OR A SHOT YOU CANT MISS. IF YOU ARE SPOTTING SOME ONE 10 TO 5 ITS BECAUSE YOU SHOOT BETTER AND MOVE BETTER. SO waite for a good shot. Some players cant waite the shoot at everything. Shannon is won of those players. BUt its ok if you make the shot. Its your choice.
I think when you have the lead and there's more pressure on your opponent, you should keep that pressure on your opponent. Why try a foolish shot that will allow your opponent a chance to win? Don't snatch defeat out of the hands of victory. As Artie says "play mistake free."

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Giving 10-5 or the like

Giving 10-5 or the like

androd said:
An often overlooked point, and not a feeble opinion. But I suspect that you knew that. The longer the game goes on against a weaker player, the more he will foul. So the less weight you are giving up in the long run. Extend the game rather than take an unnecessary chance.