One Pocket and getting older

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I don't mean to be sounding morose, but I was home all day today and was thinking about Jimmy Fusco, Leil Gay, etc. and also I re-read some old pm's that I have kept from my old pal Freddy The Beard...

Although us One Pocket diehards are much luckier than guys whose passion is/was basketball, baseball, etc and can't play their sport anymore..it can still be tough to stay healthy enough when getting up there in age, to keep playing One Pocket at a fairly high level. I know all of the guys on here in their 60's-80's know what I'm talking about.

I joke around all the time about being the poor old blind Ghost - but the truth is, I'm really only half-joking...I've had medical issues of different kinds for the last few years, (which I take about 6 medications a day for) and it seems like a new one is always popping up. My latest is rotator cuff problems/pain in both shoulders/upper arms, which I'm going to the orthopedic doctor on Wed. for further testing - I was supposed to play a One Pocket match-up today and had to cancel because the pain in my left shoulder and upper arm stopped me from even being able to raise my left arm up to waist level. And also, unfortunately, it was health reasons that stopped me from going down to the 1st onepocket.org members tournament.

Besides me, I know Dr. Bill's back is giving him problems again, and Texas Jeff has health concerns these days...I'm really hoping that they're both gonna be feeling good enough to make it to our June tournament.

I'm glad that our oldest guys like Rod, vapros/Bill, etc. are still doing well enough to keep on playing regularly - I hope I can keep on keeping on like they have into their 80's.

Wishing everybody on here the best of health, Ghost

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
anyone can go at anytime so enjoy every minute.

but those that go early most of the time its related to bad habits. like jimmy insisting on having a smoking pool room. and people that patronize those places.

and of course bad eating habits.

it is easy to justify or argue about how aunt tilly made to a 100 and lived poorly. but that is the exception. not many pool players live much past the average lifespan for someone who has reached adult, so that tells it all.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I think if someone was to perform a study of at what age pool players peaked in their personal playing careers, and the curves of improvement up to then, and the declining curve, they would see a marked difference between disciplines of pool.

1. The "shooter's games" of 9-ball and 10-ball would have to show the youngest peaks -- maybe 30-35 or so.
  2. 8-ball probably goes longer --I'm guessing 40-45
  3. And I would put Straight Pool there somewhere
  4. Bank Pool maybe a little older -- say 45-50
  5. One Pocket & 3 Cushion maybe about there or even a little older

But first the eyes go around your 40's, then your steadiness starts to go, and your stamina. And the actual ailments and physical problems increasingly start to crop up.

It isn't easy getting old!! But I do sincerely believe One Pocket makes it easier lol. At least we can move and compete to a degree with the accumulated knowledge of father time on our side -- even if that doesn't weigh in quite as much as execution ability.

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
Well said Ghostie!

Well said Ghostie!

We got a feller here in Memphis fighting for hi life from a motorcycle accident last week. I had two older guys from the poolroom died a week apart recently. Hope your Dr can get those problems ironed out soon!
PS On a much better subject Cards Cubs is just a week away!~T

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
I know being 74 years old, my biggest problem is if standing for too long my leg starts having a burning pain due to I guess old age has a pinched nerve someplace. Not going to go under the knife to try to fix it, way too old for that now.---Smitty

GoldCrown

Verified Member
I just turned 70 and lost 3 things. First was my memory... I just forgot the next 2

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
ghost sorry to hear of your latest ailment (actually sorry to hear of all your health issues)
i have had rotator cuff issues myself in my right shoulder
so i can feel your pain
hopefully the non invasive approach (meds/therapy/rest ) will work and surgery wont be necessary

chicagomike

Verified Member
Sorry to hear that Ghost...I look forward to our battles hope they continue for years to come. I'm no doctor, but I had a similar pain for months where it was difficult to put my left arm in my coat sleeve. Believe it or not I'm convinced that a daily dose of apple cider vinegar mixed with water along with small arm movement exercises brought me back to 95% recovery.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I think if someone was to perform a study of at what age pool players peaked in their personal playing careers, and the curves of improvement up to then, and the declining curve, they would see a marked difference between disciplines of pool.

1. The "shooter's games" of 9-ball and 10-ball would have to show the youngest peaks -- maybe 30-35 or so.
  2. 8-ball probably goes longer --I'm guessing 40-45
  3. And I would put Straight Pool there somewhere
  4. Bank Pool maybe a little older -- say 45-50
  5. One Pocket & 3 Cushion maybe about there or even a little older

But first the eyes go around your 40's, then your steadiness starts to go, and your stamina. And the actual ailments and physical problems increasingly start to crop up.

It isn't easy getting old!! But I do sincerely believe One Pocket makes it easier lol. At least we can move and compete to a degree with the accumulated knowledge of father time on our side -- even if that doesn't weigh in quite as much as execution ability.

Strangest thing...yesterday when I was playing a session for some reason my eyes would not focus. Everything was blurry. The light shining down, hitting the wood rails and creating a glare that was super bright almost blinding. I had Lasik surgery 8 years or so ago and still one of the best decisions I made. However now that it is wearing off (or almost wore off) I wonder if yesterday was my retina detaching even more, who the heck knows but it sucked! About half way through it got better and I could see again but for the first half I really thought someone slipped me a mickey!

Plus being mid 40's I cant read anything close now so I got my first pair of readers...getting old sucks! :)

I can only hope I am able to still play and be competitive as I get up there in my 50's, 60's and 70's!

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Sorry to hear that Ghost.

I am lucky at 77 to play 2/3 fairly long sessions a week, but I do pay a price. The mornings I know I am going to play, I pop a couple Aleve's. That seems to keep the arthritis in check most of the time. I have stronger Rx stuff but I don't like to take it. I will get muscle cramps sometimes after an extra long session.

I have trigger finger in my right hand and my thumb locks up on my palm. We have legal medical marijuana in CA and I found a deep penetrating cannabis oil in a little roll on container that keeps that in check most of the time. When it doesn't, I wear a brace on that hand and it doesn't seem to bother my pool stroke. I have been accused of wearing it to get a better game, but I never thought of that.:eek:

The longest I had to stay away was with a shoulder/upper arm strain. I did the exercises religiously with the stretch tubes you hook to the door and it finally got better. Hope yours is just a strain or pulled muscle with an easy fix.

We are just going to have to adjust the spots we are getting/giving to remain competitive.:D

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
weird thing about the eyes-- im 55 and mine are sharp as ever, my problem has been, and always will be with trying to achieve near perfect fundamentals.......all you guys above 65 are amazing to play at the level you do, my hats off to all of you.......

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
Were I'm at now all my competion is what you would call seniors. My toughest competition is 85, he has a long history with pool and still plays a mean game. Funny part is that until recently most of the games here were 8 ball, now it's pretty much exclusively 1P, we do throw in an occasion game of banks, snooker and a game call Around the World. We do need more players so that we have more of varity of play. When I return to IL I hope to be able to get more of the guys at our local room involved with 1P.

baby huey

Verified Member
I hear you Ghost and the rest of you geezers too. Some days I can't seem to get myself mentally motivated to put my socks on let alone play pool. Being an old big guy with high blood pressure, heart disease and sight issues, it seems hard to get ready for a match. Then I look at our old dog and tell myself I have to walk her to keep her in shape and me too. So presto I'm out there walking. I guess the moral to the story is to just find reasons to stay motivated and keep playing no matter how poor but get a dog cause that helps.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I hear you Ghost and the rest of you geezers too. Some days I can't seem to get myself mentally motivated to put my socks on let alone play pool. Being an old big guy with high blood pressure, heart disease and sight issues, it seems hard to get ready for a match. Then I look at our old dog and tell myself I have to walk her to keep her in shape and me too. So presto I'm out there walking. I guess the moral to the story is to just find reasons to stay motivated and keep playing no matter how poor but get a dog cause that helps.

Yeah Jerry...I was kinda amazed that you and Billy hung in there well for so many hours in your semi-finals and finals matches at last years seniors tournament - Billy with his bad back, and you, having to carry around a lot of size and weight...kudos to you two guys.

- Ghost

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Nice post, Ghostie and sorry for your shoulder issues. I had my shoulder operated on around 2011 - it was a painful rehab but it's fine now. I too have had major health issues in the last 5 years or so but all is well today, thankfully. In fact I couldn't care less about pool but I love it so still trying.

Very nice reminder about being thankful for the time we have with others. Maybe you do have a heart???? :)

Dave

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Great thread, as we get older it seems we love to tell about our aches and pains. This is a nice place to recount them.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Try to reassess all that medication. I try to do it holistically as medication can be just as bad as the illness.
Seems that most doctors are quick to prescribe some drug but it just relieves and doesnt cure. Eat well, use your body, and get lots of rest.
My rotator cuff has been bothering me but I try to stretch it and exercise.
I too have a sciatica problem and try to use my body in a productive way.

I have had retina surgeries in both eyes as well as cataracts.
An aneurism was discovered in my big aorta and I have to keep an eye on that.

So I know what you mean. But Im not going to let it get me down.
Im still having a good time and eating well and stretching whatever muscles I have left.
All those dance and gymnastic classes are coming in handy.
Keep on keeping on.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Sorry to hear that Ghost.

I am lucky at 77 to play 2/3 fairly long sessions a week, but I do pay a price. The mornings I know I am going to play, I pop a couple Aleve's. That seems to keep the arthritis in check most of the time. I have stronger Rx stuff but I don't like to take it. I will get muscle cramps sometimes after an extra long session.

I have trigger finger in my right hand and my thumb locks up on my palm. We have legal medical marijuana in CA and I found a deep penetrating cannabis oil in a little roll on container that keeps that in check most of the time. When it doesn't, I wear a brace on that hand and it doesn't seem to bother my pool stroke. I have been accused of wearing it to get a better game, but I never thought of that.:eek:

The longest I had to stay away was with a shoulder/upper arm strain. I did the exercises religiously with the stretch tubes you hook to the door and it finally got better. Hope yours is just a strain or pulled muscle with an easy fix.

We are just going to have to adjust the spots we are getting/giving to remain competitive.:D

I've tried topical pain relief creams/gels of both the natural/holistic and also the medicinal types, but none of them really worked at all...

Does that cannabis oil really work John? - if it does, since I can't buy it here, could you bring me some to try..:)...or would you worry about getting busted at the airport for being a drug dealing courier...:eek: