My time spent at House of Billiards-Santa Monica

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Since I've been referenced many times in recent threads re. my time spent at H.O.B. in Santa Monica, I decided I would respond to that...but I'm doing it over here in my own thread, so as to stay away from the flame-threads - which I have nor want any involvement in...

Three times between 2006-2011 I spent a work-related month out in L.A. and I spent most of my free time hanging around H.O.B...it was all good - I wish I had the opportunity to go out there more often...

I was treated well and got to be friends with a bunch of the guys there. I got a game about 90% of the time that I stopped in. I probably played about a dozen different guys all together - the guys I played the most times were Roger and 'Limo' Bob...

And as for my experience in matching up with Wayne, I'll just say this...he offered me a very fair game - probably a ball more than guys that play his speed have offered me at all the other poolrooms I've had action at over the years.

- Ghost

PS, Hey Keone or Don..how come my buddy Rob wasn't at the DCC this year? - we always hang around some together at the DCC, and I missed seeing him there.

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Since I've been referenced many times in recent threads re. my time spent at H.O.B. in Santa Monica, I decided I would respond to that...but I'm doing it over here in my own thread, so as to stay away from the flame-threads - which I have nor want any involvement in...

Three times between 2006-2011 I spent a work-related month out in L.A. and I spent most of my free time hanging around H.O.B...it was all good - I wish I had the opportunity to go out there more often...

I was treated well and got to be friends with a bunch of the guys there. I got a game 90% of the time that I stopped in. I probably played about a dozen guys all together - the guys I played the most times were Roger and 'Limo' Bob...

And as for my experience in matching up with Wayne, I'll just say this...he offered me a more than fair game - probably a ball more than guys that play his speed have offered me at all the other poolrooms I've had action at over the years.

- Ghost

PS, Hey Keone or Don..how come my buddy Rob wasn't at the DCC this year? - we always hang around some together at the DCC, and I missed seeing him there.

Hey Bruce; Just curious, the Roger you mentioned, is he Hawaiian or Pilipino, about 50-60 years of age? If it's the same guy I met when I was out there2 years ago, a Prince of a guy, sat in on the clinic and He arranged the private lesson with the young pool player. Also purchased my book/DVD and sequel DVD. we had a drink at the bar afterwards. He had seen some shots I was playing on you tube on a pool table, he and a handful of others that were interested in how the shots were made, I showed them, they were all excited about learning something NEW!
One of my BEST experiences on the road as of lately.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

keoneyo

Verified Member
Hey Bruce; Just curious, the Roger you mentioned, is he Hawaiian or Pilipino, about 50-60 years of age? If it's the same guy I met when I was out there2 years ago, a Prince of a guy, sat in on the clinic and He arranged the private lesson with the young pool player. Also purchased my book/DVD and sequel DVD. we had a drink at the bar afterwards. He had seen some shots I was playing on you tube on a pool table, he and a handful of others that were interested in how the shots were made, I showed them, they were all excited about learning something NEW!
One of my BEST experiences on the road as of lately.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Bill that's my buddy Roger Ho. A gentleman and an old schooler. He actually is a teamster and drives big trucks for the film industry. Plays a sporty game of billiards and all kinds of pocket billiards game. Will gamble it up. His brother is Alex Ho. Alex was the exec producer on all of Oliver Stones pix. Wall Street, Platoon, The Doors, etc.
Damn I wished I was around when you were here. I might have been on location on a film at that time. Uh oh according to a particular person I might just have been ducking you since a new Chicago guy was in town. Ha!
Seems like you had a great time here. And I would welcome anyone here to have the same experience.

Roger btw is a New Yorker born and bred Chinatown. The other guy you gave a lesson to was Joe.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Bill that's my buddy Roger Ho. A gentleman and an old schooler. He actually is a teamster and drives big trucks for the film industry. Plays a sporty game of billiards and all kinds of pocket billiards game. Will gamble it up. His brother is Alex Ho. Alex was the exec producer on all of Oliver Stones pix. Wall Street, Platoon, The Doors, etc.
Damn I wished I was around when you were here. I might have been on location on a film at that time. Uh oh according to a particular person I might just have been ducking you since a new Chicago guy was in town. Ha!
Seems like you had a great time here. And I would welcome anyone here to have the same experience.

Roger btw is a New Yorker born and bred Chinatown. The other guy you gave a lesson to was Joe.

Keone; I'll let him tell you about my visit there in detail, all I can say is, everyone treated me like a King! Just a GREAT bunch of guys! I'll definitely give you a heads up, when I'll be back in town, hopefully it will fit into your schedule. We'll go across to "Fromins" and have a bite.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

keoneyo

Verified Member
Keone; I'll let him tell you about my visit there in detail, all I can say is, everyone treated me like a King! Just a GREAT bunch of guys! I'll definitely give you a heads up, when I'll be back in town, hopefully it will fit into your schedule. We'll go across to "Fromins" and have a bite.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Only if you let me pick up the tab.

Wayne

Verified Member

I was treated well and got to be friends with a bunch of the guys there. I got a game about 90% of the time that I stopped in. I probably played about a dozen different guys all together - the guys I played the most times were Roger and 'Limo' Bob...

And as for my experience in matching up with Wayne, I'll just say this...he offered me a very fair game - probably a ball more than guys that play his speed have offered me at all the other poolrooms I've had action at over the years.

- Ghost

Ghost you were a class act and you blended right in from the start. I hit a gear against you that I very rarely reach which I think was very fortunate for me.
I am glad you took the opportunity to post.

keoneyo

Verified Member
Ghost you were a class act and you blended right in from the start. I hit a gear against you that I very rarely reach which I think was very fortunate for me.
I am glad you took the opportunity to post.

Don't worry Ghost, hes hit that gear with me too!:mad:

keoneyo

Verified Member

- Ghost

Ghost was real happy to meet you and the fabulous Ms Riva. You not only blended in with the crowd but you brought in with you the touch of Chicago and taught us how you Chicago boys seriously took the game. Guys like Freddy, Bill, and the other Chicago boys would've been proud.
Rob couldn't make Derby cause of the weather. It was going to be a brutal winter and us Cali guys are ninny's when it comes to the winter. You Chicago boys could give us 10/6 when it comes to snow. LOL!
I am going to try to attend next year and I hope to see you then.
Keone

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Ghost was real happy to meet you and the fabulous Ms Riva. You not only blended in with the crowd but you brought in with you the touch of Chicago and taught us how you Chicago boys seriously took the game. Guys like Freddy, Bill, and the other Chicago boys would've been proud.
Rob couldn't make Derby cause of the weather. It was going to be a brutal winter and us Cali guys are ninny's when it comes to the winter. You Chicago boys could give us 10/6 when it comes to snow. LOL!
Keone

If youre good , I might let you hang with me.:lol
Beard

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Great room

Great room

I took my wife to L.A. in June, 2012 to treat her to the sights and to meet up with some old friends. On Luke's recommendation we made a trip to Santa Monica so I could see HOB, and so she could see The Pier and other sites, then go up to Malibu, Topanga Canyon, etc.

We got there about midday, and the place was fairly empty, so we sat at the counter and had coffee while BS'ing with the counterman. I didn't have my cue, and didn't even hit some balls. But what a beautiful room! I could have spent the rest of the day there. We went across the street to have lunch at the Thai restaurant, then continued on sight-seeing.

But if I lived in the area, you can be sure I'd be a regular!

Doc

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I took my wife to L.A. in June, 2012 to treat her to the sights and to meet up with some old friends. On Luke's recommendation we made a trip to Santa Monica so I could see HOB, and so she could see The Pier and other sites, then go up to Malibu, Topanga Canyon, etc.

We got there about midday, and the place was fairly empty, so we sat at the counter and had coffee while BS'ing with the counterman. I didn't have my cue, and didn't even hit some balls. But what a beautiful room! I could have spent the rest of the day there. We went across the street to have lunch at the Thai restaurant, then continued on sight-seeing.

Doc

You should try Topanga Canyon on a bicycle, the downhill part is a hoot:)

lfigueroa

Verified Member

Doc

It's a very nice room, Doc. And if you lived there and were a regular, well... then at least I'd have someone to play when I visited.

Lou Figueroa
I kid, I kid

keoneyo

Verified Member

Doc

3 secret words Doc when you and your lady come back and try that Thai place.

GREEN PAPAYA SALAD!

You cant go wrong.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Forget Fromin's...instead, walk about 5 block's south on Wilshire to Izzy's deli :heh Izzy's is smaller, more old school/down to earth, and less expensive than Fromin's - Izzy's is the kind of place where in the morning you'll see a guy reading the Racing Form - this guy wouldn't go to Fromin's.

- Ghost

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
You Chicago boys could give us 10/6 when it comes to snow. LOL!
Keone[/QUOTE]

I think that snow thing would be more like 13-1. Last DCC I went, the HIGH one day was, -4. Yes minus four. Later that week, it was a balmy 18.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Forget Fromin's...instead, walk about 5 block's south on Wilshire to Izzy's deli :heh Izzy's is smaller, more old school/down to earth, and less expensive than Fromin's - Izzy's is the kind of place where in the morning you'll see a guy reading the Racing Form - this guy wouldn't go to Fromin's.

- Ghost

Bruce; You may be right, since you have a rep for being a foodie, but, it was in the morning and we only had about an hour to get inside HOB. Next trip I will adhere to your expertise on "Road" food spots! TY

Wayne

Verified Member
I love HOB. Had a good time every time I have gone. Say hi to everybody for me. See you soon, Wayne.
Kentucky

It was a pleasure having you around. Another guy who was in nonstop action as I recall. Fearless too. Hope to see you soon.

keoneyo

Verified Member
I love HOB. Had a good time every time I have gone. Say hi to everybody for me. See you soon, Wayne.
Kentucky

Bill I never got to meet you. When I was there you were in a constant state of warfare. Either you were in a game or setting one up. But your style did impress me. Like Wayne said you are fearless and have a lot of heart. Much respect. Please feel welcome in Santa Monica anytime.

Keone

Last edited: