Once upon.....

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
.......a time back in May 1987,Pool& Billiard Magazine had Efren on the cover jumping over a ball while wearing a starched white shirt with a bowtie.I nside was the usual tournaments being advertised,a Reno Sands Regent 9-ball with 20K added.The Glass City open with 45K in cash & prizes.The McDermott team 8-ball in Las Vegas at the Imperial Palace with 85K in big letters for the players.Also 2 good pictures of Willie,one standing with his cue and one stroking off the rail.A few of Mike Sigal and one of Buddy stroking off the rail and winning the Miller Time Open for 2,775$ first place.Reed Pierce was second.The United States Team Open had two pages of articles and pictures of 6 teams,The one from Illinois had T. Spencer,John Abruzzo,M. Jarvis & Dallas West.No Freddie........The Classic Cup by Chicago had Sigal winning and the women had Jean winning and Eva second which featured a picture of Jim Mataya kissing her with both hands on her.........tomorrow I shall attempt to rehash the Snap magazine from July 1991.It looks promising with a picture of Bill I. not to mention Buddy,Fats,Harry the Horse,Ronnie Allen,Grady,Tom Cosmo,Danny D. and Omaha Fats....stay tuned or not,cheers,James

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Must have been a fun read, because those were interesting times-- and with really no internet yet!

But I thought your point was going to be that the tournament money was pretty good then. Yet today, despite 30 years of relentless inflation (the devaluation of our money), they're playing for the same or less money!:(

~Doc

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Hey Doc.....

Hey Doc.....

.........good to hear,no,no point just rambling and fishing for Freddie stories I guess......and yes,the inflation is a crime compared to salaries.But dont get that started.....just glad the tournaments are still happening and the fish are jumpin......