"A Game of Pool"

Skin

Verified Member
I came across this and thought I'd post it here for grins.

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/entertainment/watch/v16638976RzSNXqKh#

It does bring a question to mind, though. It was aired on October 13, 1961 (3 weeks after the release of "The Hustler) and starred Jonathan Winters as Fats Brown. You reckon Fats Brown was a theft of the Tevis character or was Rudolph Wanderone the inspiration, "also"? ;)

It is set in Lister's Pool Room, Randolph Street, Chicago. (Does not bode well for keeping this thread un-hijacked).

And say, how about that double kiss billiard shot to open? I wonder who was doing the shooting.

Skin

beatle

Verified Member
i think the people around then knew who fats was. he wasnt obscure at all.
i remember that episode well and loved it all of the twilight zones.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I remember watching it when it was first aired. I thought at the time that it was too corny-- almost a morality play. But I was a huge Johnathan Winters fan, so it was nice to see him getting acting rolls. Jack Paar was still going strong, and Winters guested there often.

The pool shot clips were not dazzling-- not approaching the shots from The Hustler; but it was enjoyable to watch nevertheless. The show was definitely in keeping with the spirit of "The Twilight Zone".

I tried to track down who the technical advisor was-- who was performing the shots. But none of the sources I checked listed the guy. It's funny, in today's shows they credit everyone but the guy who sells popcorn, but in those days the credits were a little sparse.

Doc

Skin

Verified Member
Doc, I also remember it from way back but probably saw it as a rerun since I was only 6 y/o in 1961. But viewing it again now it strikes me how insightful it was about the game and the life for an episode on TV. Even the jargon (except the "end pocket" pethaps) was authentic. The writers obviously knew the game.

Did you notice the equipment? Is that a Schmidt (triangular nameplate) they are playing on and are the white joints on the sticks ivory? All the cues, including the house cues, have a fat butt and splice like a Titleist. The balls look like early Centennials (cast phenolic? blue dot cb). I bet Dick is way old enough to know about all of this for sure. ;)

Skin

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Skin said:
Did you notice the equipment? Is that a Schmidt (triangular nameplate) they are playing on and are the white joints on the sticks ivory? All the cues, including the house cues, have a fat butt and splice like a Titleist. The balls look like early Centennials (cast phenolic? blue dot cb). I bet Dick is way old enough to know about all of this for sure. ;)
Yeah, I did notice the triangular manufacturer's plate on the rail. I thought maybe it was an AMF. Maybe it was a Schmidt.

I'm pretty sure the balls were Centennials. Dunno re the cues.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Rambow

Rambow

Dem's Rambow cues with ivory joints and ferrules. I had several myself. AMF didnt make pool tables until the 60s when they knocked off Gold Crowns.

Beard