Walking with Giants, Greg Stevens

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
Back in the late 60's thru about 71 the LeCue Club in downtown Houston was one of the best action spots in the country.

There was a smorgasborg of solid players of all games.

Plenty of niners, one holers, snooker, 3 cushion and so on.

Regulars were Jersey Red and his wife Dotti, Greg Stevens, Whitey Wilson, San Jose Dick, Jack Terry, king Curtis, Danny Jones, Tall Jeff, James Christopher, John (DUKE) Dowel, Rodney Stevens, Eddie Burton, Whoppy from Dallas, Marcus from Dallas, Alfie Taylor, The Mighty Squirrel, (had to throw me in there, LOL, and many more.

All were good players and entertained weekly at one of the best action spots in the country, but one player really stood out for at least 5 years and was in more action than anyone during his time in Houston, his name was GREG STEVENS.

What a giant of the game he was, he took on all comers from anywhere in the country. He could play anyone even 9 ball during those years but I don't believe no one ever played him even 9 ball.

Tall Jeff beat him in 70 or 71 with the last 2, actually they should have played even and probably would have the same result, Tall Jeff's game went thru the roof for a time but Greg did play at an unbeatable level for about 5 years.

Played all games at world class, 14 and 1, snooker, nine ball, 3 cushion, one hole and so on.

He gave out ridiculous spots to literally all comers and would sometimes play for 2-3 days as a norm, the guy just couldn't leave the pool room!

Probably loved the game more than any of us and what ever he had in his pocket was a bet!

He brought so many people to the pool room on weekends for years and the money flowed freely thru the late 60's.

Players and wanna be players came from every where just to see Greg Stevens play including myself, we played a few times back in the day.

What an impact he made in Houston and throughout the south, people came from far and wide just to maybe catch him in action against some world beater and they usually got there wish.

Greg flat out didn't play dodgeball, he was there to be had, he didn't get had very often but when he did he put everything in action.

I learned quick watching him play nine ball mostly, 5 rack runs was common with Greg and even more at times. He also gave all the one holers weight back in the day such as 12-8 or 10-7.

He was really a pretty dam good one holer in his time! I have to put him at about number 10 at his best, but trust me people that ain't bad,LOL.

Greg was really a good guy and I would shoot the s--t with him quite often and he could really be funny!

No doubt he was the best entertainment I've had in the pool rooms either watching him play or just listening to him B.S.

Might be the best action guy ever and one of the best all around players I have ever known, I'm so glad I knew this man, he set the bar awfully high and stayed there a good while.

He was and always will be a GIANT, i miss him!

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Weekends I would play Red Perry golf on the snooker table at LeCue for a couple of hours and then headed off to Parker’s around 11:00 P.M. I was going to college at the time and tried to make it to LeCue and Parker’s when I was in town visiting my parents. A lot of great characters and players.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The way you relate these stories, with such obvious respect for your fellow great players that you competed with, is very refreshing Keith. Thank you!!

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
It was a hell of a time.
Many good and great players came through, too many to remember them all, Richie Florance, Jimmy Rempe, Cole Dixon, Jack Cooney, Toby, Frisco Jack, Alibi Al, Don Watson ,Peter Rabbit, DiMaggio, Larry Liscotti, Jimmie Reed, Danny Di Liberto, Sonny Springer, Bugs, Freddie B., Fats, Jr. Golf, Bill Lawson, Joe Cosgrove, Johnny Vevis Mike Siegel, Larry Hubbard, Bananas, Larry Woods, Hayden Lingo, (The great player from Frisco, can't remember his name) many more on which my memory fails me, Other than Fats very few left winner.

Sorry to ramble on, I kept remembering more and more names. As keith said, an education to be had.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
It was a hell of a time.
Many good and great players came through, too many to remember them all, Richie Florance, Jimmy Rempe, Cole Dixon, Jack Cooney, Toby, Frisco Jack, Alibi Al, Don Watson ,Peter Rabbit, DiMaggio, Larry Liscotti, Jimmie Reed, Danny Di Liberto, Sonny Springer, Bugs, Freddie B., Fats, Jr. Golf, Bill Lawson, Joe Cosgrove, Johnny Vevis Mike Siegel, Larry Hubbard, Bananas, Larry Woods, Hayden Lingo, (The great player from Frisco, can't remember his name) many more on which my memory fails me, Other than Fats very few left winner.

Sorry to ramble on, I kept remembering more and more names. As keith said, an education to be had.

You forget Denny Searcy again??...lol

baby huey

Verified Member
I was in Los Angeles when Mr. Stevens came to our pool hall in downtown LA. I played him and lost (of course) and was able to steer him around some and made about $500 in a week or so. No big sets or anything like that but I could tell he didn't like hustling because he was a gunslinger at heart. So we took the $500 plus another $300 I had to the Tropicana Bowl in Torrence and ponied up all of it while Craig played Richie Florence. We could have bet anything we wanted and I mean anything playing Richie back then. Craig hung there for about two hours at $50 a game but you could see Richie was going to win at his home room. I never had so much fun losing my cash. Craig was funny and so was Richie. Craig left shortly thereafter and I ran into him at the Le Cue when I was on the road with Hawaiian Brian. Craig and Brian didn't match up and I don't think Craig was feeling well. Others may know more about that. I think speed got the best of him. But we did go to dinner and reminisced the match with Richie. Craig told me he really wanted to beat Richie because he thought Richie was the best nine baller at that time. Hard to argue with that. Richie would gamble high and had a lot of class. Craig joins a short list of exceptional people who just loved to play and play at a world class level. I would have loved to see Craig in his prime against the likes of Keith, St Louie Louie and a few other players who loved the game so much that gambling was just an excuse to play.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I was in Los Angeles when Mr. Stevens came to our pool hall in downtown LA. I played him and lost (of course) and was able to steer him around some and made about $500 in a week or so. No big sets or anything like that but I could tell he didn't like hustling because he was a gunslinger at heart. So we took the $500 plus another $300 I had to the Tropicana Bowl in Torrence and ponied up all of it while Craig played Richie Florence. We could have bet anything we wanted and I mean anything playing Richie back then. Craig hung there for about two hours at $50 a game but you could see Richie was going to win at his home room. I never had so much fun losing my cash. Craig was funny and so was Richie. Craig left shortly thereafter and I ran into him at the Le Cue when I was on the road with Hawaiian Brian. Craig and Brian didn't match up and I don't think Craig was feeling well. Others may know more about that. I think speed got the best of him. But we did go to dinner and reminisced the match with Richie. Craig told me he really wanted to beat Richie because he thought Richie was the best nine baller at that time. Hard to argue with that. Richie would gamble high and had a lot of class. Craig joins a short list of exceptional people who just loved to play and play at a world class level. I would have loved to see Craig in his prime against the likes of Keith, St Louie Louie and a few other players who loved the game so much that gambling was just an excuse to play.

Good story Jerry, and you hit the nail on the head about Greg, he hated hustling... He preferred going into a town and calling out the best they had, he truly had that gunslinger mentality... He loved to play so much he’d resort to amphetamines to keep playing for days, and you may be right, they may have contributed to his demise...Keith was right, he was a legend around LeCue and an action junkie, he’d play anybody... R.I.P.