Why Do Diamond Tables Bank Shorter?

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I've always heard that Diamond tables bank shorter than Brunswicks, but never heard a reason. Is it because the rubber's faster/springier? Because the cushion noses are different heights/angles?

Would they bank the same if they had the same rubber?

It's past time we got to the bottom of this.

pj
chgo

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I've always heard that Diamond tables bank shorter than Brunswicks, but never heard a reason. Is it because the rubber's faster/springier? Because the cushion noses are different heights/angles?

pj
chgo

There's about hundred threads on AZ land on the subject. Red, Blue, new cloth, old cloth, modified red. Oh how my head spins:heh

Dead Empty

The second

The second

pj
chgo

The cue ball gets pinched slightly under the rail. I forget if it was because of the rail height or the nose. Per RKC when he did my table. Even the angle coming off the nose to the base of the rail can affects banks.

Last edited:

El Chapo

Verified Member
Somehow I've almost completely avoided diamonds. I've played on diamond bar tables though. I feel like brusnwicks go long, and diamonds are truer (more similar to a billiard table), at least that's the way I see it. Maybe the question is, why do brunswicks go long :heh:heh. I think the reason is in there somewhere though; diamonds are built more similar to billiard tables imo... not sure what the actual difference is bc haven't played too much on them, but higher rails is definitely a possibility.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I feel like brusnwicks go long, and diamonds are truer (more similar to a billiard table), at least that's the way I see it.

That's what I think too. Also, I've heard that the difference is nose angle, even though the center of the noses on both are the same height.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

pj
chgo

ding. ding. ding......winner.
:D

-miller (asked a lot of questions when he had his red label rails swapped out for blue.....)

poolisboring

Verified Member
From
toledo
interesting discussion, all i can say is practice your banks on your table of choice, and they will drop.......

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

It's past time we got to the bottom of this. pj chgo
Damn, PJ, I was hoping to learn the answer from YOU. What kind of "science guy" are you, anyway?..:confused:

I'm sure that Greg Sullivan could tell us. If all else fails we can ask Jewett..:) And I'm in the "GC's bank longer" camp...

~Doc

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
There's a couple things I've noticed. If you have a gearing spin on the obj. ball....it ''takes more'' as its coming off the rail than a GC.
Also, and more importantly on banks than stepping into the shot is stepping into the English of the shot naturally. This cue movement is critical in making banks easier on a Diamond allowing the ball to roll more naturally as it comes off the cushion.

Last edited:

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
Honestly, I don't recall ever seeing two tables of the exact model play the same except in a tournament venue or a pool room with newly installed tables. GC III's in one pool room play noticeably different that GC III's in another pool room.

It almost always comes down to adjusting to the conditions at hand. If a table plays bad and I can't adjust, I just don't play. That's why I always carry my knitting kit with me.

This is pretty close to a true statement if your playing on a GC4. The GC4 rails are different than the 1, 2, or 3.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I can see why cushion nose height could make a difference, but can't figure why cushion angle would matter. Any insights?

pj
chgo

Because of the direction in which the rubber compresses then expands.
OK, I buy that. Seems like the rubber would be harder/springier if the top of the cushion is less tilted (more horizontal) - is that the case with Diamonds?

Don't mean to beat a dead horse; just trying to get at the details.

pj
chgo

oldschool1478

Verified Member
From
Quincy, MA
I own a red label diamond 9ft that I updated to blue label specs.

I AIM one rail banks and kicks using the diamonds on the rail to align with the "mirror table" pockets.
Diamond tables do not bank short for me.

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
I did hear recently that on the 'red labels' (the ones that bank short), the rubber is either tilted or installed upside down. The latter didn't make sense to me, but the information came indirectly from one of the leading table mechanics in the country.

The red labels tables can be converted to play like the blue labels.

OK, I buy that. Seems like the rubber would be harder/springier if the top of the cushion is less tilted (more horizontal) - is that the case with Diamonds?

Don't mean to beat a dead horse; just trying to get at the details.

pj
chgo