Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > Links & Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2006, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Default Efren's display in the 2006 DCC semi-finals

Just watched the Accustats DVD of the 2006 semi final One Pocket match between Efren & Alex. Efren puts on just an incredible performance. Alex wins the lag & makes a ball on his first break & goes on to run about 4 balls and ends up winning that first game when Efren scratches on kind of a wild shot.

But after that, Efren absolutely tortures Alex until he coughs up a shot three straight games, when Efren runs 8 & out, 8 & out and 9 & out to close out the match -- wow!!

Incardona & the Beard are in the booth & those two are so blown away by what they are witnessing that they almost don't know what to say -- almost!

He closes out one run by playing the most delicate two-rail position to nudge loose the last three balls so he can get out.

something like this
Old 09-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Verified Member

He's truely amazing!!! The interesting part of the shot to me is the fact that you can't use low right since it might come off the 2nd rail too high. He recognizes this instantly whereas I might have used the wrong English and would only know it was wrong after I screwed it up. In addition, he hits it with just the right speed!! Really, who would shoot this shot except Efren? I'd have to try to get on the 7 for a cross-table bank.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:22 AM
Verified Member

Default Position

That was the single most impressive position shot that I have ever seen in 50 years of pool.

the Beard
Old 09-21-2006, 10:03 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bentivegna
That was the single most impressive position shot that I have ever seen in 50 years of pool.

the Beard
What the hell are you talking about, Freddie? You probably TAUGHT Efren that shot!! I hope your knees are steadily on the mend!

Doc
Old 09-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Verified Member

Default Best one-hole I have ever seen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve
Just watched the Accustats DVD of the 2006 semi final One Pocket match between Efren & Alex. Efren puts on just an incredible performance. Alex wins the lag & makes a ball on his first break & goes on to run about 4 balls and ends up winning that first game when Efren scratches on kind of a wild shot.

But after that, Efren absolutely tortures Alex until he coughs up a shot three straight games, when Efren runs 8 & out, 8 & out and 9 & out to close out the match -- wow!!

Incardona & the Beard are in the booth & those two are so blown away by what they are witnessing that they almost don't know what to say -- almost!

He closes out one run by playing the most delicate two-rail position to nudge loose the last three balls so he can get out.

something like this
I watched the semi-finals and the final against Jason Miller and have to say it was the most dominating one-pocket I have ever seen. I talked to a friend who was in the stands watching the finals (this guy is an experienced road player) and he agreed that he had never seen better one-pocket. Can't say I recall many of the individual shots, but I do recall one where Efren made a very thin cut shot, looked like he was using a lot of inside English, and went two rails to end up with the cue perfectly positioned in a little "window" for his next shot.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:23 PM
Verified Member

Awesome!! Another magical shot from a billiard magician. Efren's experience in 3 cushion billiards undoubtably made way for this shot selection. Like I've said before I had the chance to see Freddy & Efren play many times and was treated to some pretty memorable stuff. I only wish I knew how to use the Wei table to show you a masse shot Efren shoots and I think to him it's a hanger. Freddy you know the shot I'm referring to both cueball and object ball are frozen against the rail aimed directly to your opponents pocket.
Efren jacks up and masses the cueball so it hugs the object ball and does a 180 so your opponent is looking at the shot he left you. Efren you're a monster!!!!!!! LOL Fred I know you must recall the shot if so can you please diagram it to show what I'm talkin about? Thanks, Phil Welch
Old 09-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Verified Member

Default Come DCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc
What the hell are you talking about, Freddie? You probably TAUGHT Efren that shot!! I hope your knees are steadily on the mend!

Doc
I'll be doing foot races in time for Derby City Doc. Thanks.

the Beard
Old 09-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Verified Member

Default Effren Masse

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwelch
Awesome!! Another magical shot from a billiard magician. Efren's experience in 3 cushion billiards undoubtably made way for this shot selection. Like I've said before I had the chance to see Freddy & Efren play many times and was treated to some pretty memorable stuff. I only wish I knew how to use the Wei table to show you a masse shot Efren shoots and I think to him it's a hanger. Freddy you know the shot I'm referring to both cueball and object ball are frozen against the rail aimed directly to your opponents pocket.
Efren jacks up and masses the cueball so it hugs the object ball and does a 180 so your opponent is looking at the shot he left you. Efren you're a monster!!!!!!! LOL Fred I know you must recall the shot if so can you please diagram it to show what I'm talkin about? Thanks, Phil Welch
I cant make the diagram thing work either. Suffice to say he masse's the cue ball and it crawls along the surface of the object ball and winds up on the other side of the object ball.
the Beard
Old 09-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwelch
At one of the DCC One Pocket events -- not sure which year, Efren played exactly the shot you are describing. The cue ball was locked up behind a ball nearly frozen to the bottom rail, and there where balls on both sides of the lower end of the table which were in good spots to be banked -- to either pocket if they were left exposed. Efren's solution was to masse right around the blocking ball, leaving his opponent in the same trouble...

like this on the cue table

(this is a three page diagram -- click on the page numbers to advance to the next page)

Last edited by NH Steve; 09-21-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Verified Member

I saw Eften shoot that shot against a very good Phil. player. It blew the guy away and he never recovered. It was quite a few years ago before everyone knew of his magic.

Here's a shot he did against another well-known and top pockets player:

START(
%AO8P7%BJ7U0%CI8O9%DM0M6%EM9Q2%FK4Q7%GK4M9%HM7N8%IL4O6%JH2K9
%KG9S3%LF5O5%MO1U8%ND1S4%OC9J2%PC8H7%QA8A8%RA5[7%US3[5%Vr6Q8
%Wr7Q8%XD4H8%YD0T4%ZR6[7
)END

He has pocket A. Only the 15 and 14 are important in the shot as I don't recall the position of the other balls. The amazing part is that he didn't scratch and just tickled the 14 leaving his opponent the exact opposite situation just like the masse shot above. He won the first 3 games 8 nothing and made 4 more balls before his opponent got a ball!! 36 balls to nothing! His opponent was a very good pocket player.