Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2019, 03:39 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtompilot View Post
How’s your wife doing?
Thanks for asking Tom. She is recovering and doing better every day but still needs a lot of nursing and that be me.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:40 PM
Verified Member

Send a message via AIM to JeaLouS44
Default Great poster..

Been awhile since I posted.
Awesome poster Frank.
I will give 626 pennies for it
Lol
Congrats John!
Old 06-09-2019, 01:28 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeaLouS44 View Post
Been awhile since I posted.
Awesome poster Frank.
I will give 626 pennies for it
Lol
Congrats John!
I forgot to add...plus shipping.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:22 PM
Verified Member

Send a message via AIM to JeaLouS44

Ok. 526 pennies for shipping. 😜
Old 09-04-2019, 07:05 AM
Verified Member

I was awed by this. But, at the same time, it sorta gives you the title of best practicer of all time.

It is not that it is not amazing. I just think competitive numbers are all that really count. Barry Bonds may have hit an absurd number of consecutive home runs in batting practice, something nobody ever came close to do. But who would care?! The numbers he attained during the season during the actual games were all that mattered.

In short, I believe, for whatever reason, we give these practice numbers too much weight in pool. Maybe specifically in straight pool. This is all coming from a huge J Schmidt fan too! I just do not think this is even close to the greatest things he has ever done. It does not even make the list.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:55 AM
Verified Member

of course, practicing for weeks on a table you have set up just the way you want is a whole world different than doing it in competition or traveling around doing exhibitions with one shot at it on strange equipment.

as for your example look at home run derby where they have it set up for them. they hit home runs one after another, yet in real games it is much more rare.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:27 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapo View Post
I was awed by this. But, at the same time, it sorta gives you the title of best practicer of all time.

It is not that it is not amazing. I just think competitive numbers are all that really count. Barry Bonds may have hit an absurd number of consecutive home runs in batting practice, something nobody ever came close to do. But who would care?! The numbers he attained during the season during the actual games were all that mattered.

In short, I believe, for whatever reason, we give these practice numbers too much weight in pool. Maybe specifically in straight pool. This is all coming from a huge J Schmidt fan too! I just do not think this is even close to the greatest things he has ever done. It does not even make the list.
If competitive numbers were all that counted in straight pool then the record run might be 200 by Darren Appleton.

John has the record run of 626 consecutive balls made.

Mosconi had the record run of 526 (the first 150 or 200 with an opponent in an exhibition, the last 300+ with no opponent)

The record in a competition without an opponent would be a Derby City straight pool run I believe.

Very unlikely there will ever be a huge straight pool run (like Willy's or John's) in a competition with an opponent because the game would have to be to 1,000 or something like that and that isn't going to happen.

So, although Willy's record occurred in different conditions than John's it was an exhibition and NOT a competition.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:50 PM
Verified Member

Good to see you posting, Wayne! I thought maybe you'd moved to Timbuktu or some damn place...

~Doc