Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2006, 12:24 PM
Verified Member

Send a message via ICQ to Donovan Send a message via AIM to Donovan Send a message via MSN to Donovan Send a message via Yahoo to Donovan
Question 50/50...what would you do?

Hypothetically speaking (obviously without an actual situation this may be a tough discussion, but...) let's say after the break (no balls were made) and you come to the table faced with either a shot or a safety.

The shot has about a 50/50 chance of going and the leave is about 50/50 of being safe or getting you another shot at your hole.

The safety has a 50/50 chance of truly working out and you have a 50/50 chance of moving a ball closer to your hole if successful.

**For both options, let's say if you miss, you leave your opponent a fairly easy bank to his hole.

Obviously in real life situations we can sometimes be creative and accomplish even more than just 2 things in one shot, but let's stay hypothetical. Which path would say you are more likely to take and why?

-Straight Pool and One-Pocket Rule!
MadEye1@gmail.com
Old 02-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Verified Member

Send a message via ICQ to Shorty Send a message via AIM to Shorty Send a message via MSN to Shorty Send a message via Yahoo to Shorty

Grady said it best...you gotta make a ball in order to win, or something like that anyway.

I would shoot it.

Shorty
Old 02-15-2006, 01:44 PM
Verified Member

To me, this is a no brainer. It all depends on "Who" you are playing. If you are playing Efren,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you've got to go for the ball. Anything you deem safe,,,,,,,,,,,,, Ain't.

Playing someone who can't run out, you might play the safe.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:36 PM
Verified Member

Of course, there are many things to consider: score, opponent, score in set, etc. etc. But in most cases I would go for the ball in these 50/50 examples. As Shorty said, "You gotta make balls to win."
Old 02-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Verified Member

Default Shoot for the win!

In this situation you really must shoot for your pocket since you have a 50% chance of winning -- and if you play the ball on the "pro" side, you can avoid the return bank.

If you just play the safety, you give your opponent the opportunity to make your position much worse or even win.

Weej
Old 02-15-2006, 08:20 PM

I was taught (and it's been confirmed over and over by the "masters") that if the shot and safe are equal in degree of difficulty, take the shot. I love the "Chicago squeeze" style of 1P, but you have to put offensive pressure on your opponent when practical or you'll allow your opponent too much leeway if he knows you won't shoot at anything.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Verified Member

Half the time I would shoot and the other half I would go for the safety.

Wayne
Old 02-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Verified Member

I've always heard that as well: If there is just as much chance of making the ball as there is in playing a good safety, then go for the point. However, in actual play that equal opportunity doesn't seem to come up very often. Oftentimes fear can dictate playing a safety, when there is actually a reasonably makeable shot-- for example a cross-corner bank. So confidence (or sometimes recklessness) --rather than difficulty-- sometimes makes the decision.

Doc
Old 02-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Verified Member

Send a message via ICQ to Donovan Send a message via AIM to Donovan Send a message via MSN to Donovan Send a message via Yahoo to Donovan
Default Thanks for the responses!

It is great to see that everyone feels the same way I did about this. Thank you for the great responses. Sometimes posing a question even when you think you know the right answer, will give you an even better understanding of why. That is exactly what happened here. Thanks again.

-Straight Pool and One-Pocket Rule!
MadEye1@gmail.com
Old 02-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc
I've always heard that as well: If there is just as much chance of making the ball as there is in playing a good safety, then go for the point. However, in actual play that equal opportunity doesn't seem to come up very often. Oftentimes fear can dictate playing a safety, when there is actually a reasonably makeable shot-- for example a cross-corner bank. So confidence (or sometimes recklessness) --rather than difficulty-- sometimes makes the decision.

Doc
Agreed, Doc. The score comes into play too. He needs one and I need them all, etc., It is going to make that cross corner with a possible out look much better.