One-Pocket dying off in Bay Area?

RileysDad

Verified Member
Seems like what was once a fair place to get some one-pocket action is losing steam!

California Billiards quit hosting their Saturday One-Pocket tourney months ago and the new owners don't seem interested in bringing it back.

Memo is no longer trying to get one-pocket going at Campbell

I hear that the draw at Hard Times in Sacramento has dropped by 2/3

What the heck is going on?

thebigdog

Verified Member
From
Baytown, Tx.
RileysDad said:
Seems like what was once a fair place to get some one-pocket action is losing steam!

California Billiards quit hosting their Saturday One-Pocket tourney months ago and the new owners don't seem interested in bringing it back.

I just moved from the bay area to Houston area 2 weeks ago. I quit playing about 2 years ago because the pool scene was so bad in the bay area. Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of good players but nobody would match up. It just got really boring to me, I got tired of it. Maybe others just feel the same way out there.

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Gosh, I never heard that

Gosh, I never heard that

RileysDad said:

How come i never heard they quit 1p. Do they still do Sunday 9 ball. Considering the new owners are the Hard Times, Sacrmamento crew, I would think they would keep the 1p going. Seems like good business sense to me as you know business sucks on Saturday afternoons in most pool rooms.
If they did indeed stop, I guess it is time for Fast Eddys's to start one up.
The problem is they do not like driving over 17 to play. We do have several people who play over here though, so if you need action we can arrange it.
Diego, Larry, Al, Dick, Kenny, Glen.

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Lol

Lol

thebigdog said:
I just moved from the bay area to Houston area 2 weeks ago. I quit playing about 2 years ago because the pool scene was so bad in the bay area. Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of good players but nobody would match up. It just got really boring to me, I got tired of it. Maybe others just feel the same way out there.

And thats why you moved to Houston? WOW! lol

thebigdog

Verified Member
From
Baytown, Tx.
suki said:
Not exactly my reason for moving, but a good 1-p scene will be a nice fringe benefit besides the fact that I actually got to buy a house out here. The bay area pool scene was not so great, but that didn't matter to much to me, I really loved living there. I think I will probobly be going back in 4 years, S.F. is a really special place, I am missing it already.

roo7227

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas..
suki said:
How would you come to that conclusion, from what he wrote?.. It's clear to me, by his statements, that he quit playing pool because of the local bay area pool scene..

He didn't give any reason, in his post, as to why he moved.. But I'm glad you can find some entertainment in what he said..

Last edited by a moderator:

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Hard Times Billiards in Sacramento

Hard Times Billiards in Sacramento

First Saturday of every month. One Pocket.

Still have plenty of strong fields. Since it is the only monthly One Pocket tournament in Northern California.

I don't know who is spreading the rumors about the entries being down. But they are wrong.

Every First of the Month and weekly results are published on www.onthebreaknews.com

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
RileysDad said:

I don't know what is going on in the Bay area, but it is summertime and pool always slows down some and could be a large part of it. I believe there will be some one pocket tournaments going on at California Billiards, the new management just need a chance to get rolling. If I lived in the Bay Area and it was slowing down and I was looking for action, I would be going over the hill to Fast Eddy's and getting all I wanted. I offered to come to the Bay area for some action (up to $500 sets) a couple of months ago and never heard a peep from anybody, so I guess you are correct about your area slowing down. I would meet the Capitola guys at California Billiards to play some, but going all the way down there from where I am is a little too far. As far as Hard Times, Sacramento, I would imagine they still average around 30 players in the monthly one pocket tournament and it is still a great tournament every month.

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Well John, u got action

Well John, u got action

jrhendy said:
I don't know what is going on in the Bay area, but it is summertime and pool always slows down some and could be a large part of it. I believe there will be some one pocket tournaments going on at California Billiards, the new management just need a chance to get rolling. If I lived in the Bay Area and it was slowing down and I was looking for action, I would be going over the hill to Fast Eddy's and getting all I wanted. I offered to come to the Bay area for some action (up to $500 sets) a couple of months ago and never heard a peep from anybody, so I guess you are correct about your area slowing down. I would meet the Capitola guys at California Billiards to play some, but going all the way down there from where I am is a little too far. As far as Hard Times, Sacramento, I would imagine they still average around 30 players in the monthly one pocket tournament and it is still a great tournament every month.

As much as I hate to never have action at Fast Eddys because no one wants to drive over 17 , I drummed up action for you next Thurs. or Fridaiy at California Billiard, You can have Larry or Diego. They will show up if you want a game but it must be confirmed, with the bet and the time.
Let us know. Thanks

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
suki said:
As much as I hate to never have action at Fast Eddys because no one wants to drive over 17 , I drummed up action for you next Thurs. or Fridaiy at California Billiard, You can have Larry or Diego. They will show up if you want a game but it must be confirmed, with the bet and the time.
Let us know. Thanks

Next Friday sounds good. The S/S check comes Weds or Thursday. I will PM you with the bet. I will play either one of them or both if I get lucky with the first one. John

I1PL

Verified Member
From
Novato, CA
Infusion

Infusion

Gentlemen,
Handicapped 1-P tournaments is the answer.

Check this out: I do a Race to 1, Max field 8, Winner Take All handicapped 1-p tournament on one pool table in SF (winner pays time). It takes about 2 hours. With a $10 entry fee, you win 3 games and clear $50. Hello!

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Nice try

Nice try

I1PL said:
Gentlemen,
Handicapped 1-P tournaments is the answer.

Check this out: I do a Race to 1, Max field 8, Winner Take All handicapped 1-p tournament on one pool table in SF (winner pays time). It takes about 2 hours. With a $10 entry fee, you win 3 games and clear $50. Hello!

It would cost me 50 bucks to drive there. lol I could just run one of those here.

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Need a time too

Need a time too

jrhendy said:
Next Friday sounds good. The S/S check comes Weds or Thursday. I will PM you with the bet. I will play either one of them or both if I get lucky with the first one. John

Yeh mine comes too but it is so little I will have to borrow to cover my losses.
he he

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
another question

another question

suki said:
Yeh mine comes too but it is so little I will have to borrow to cover my losses.
he he

I hope we are both talking about a week from tomorrow, that is what I was hoping as I know you play in the monthly Hard Times on Saturday.
Thanks

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
suki said:
I hope we are both talking about a week from tomorrow, that is what I was hoping as I know you play in the monthly Hard Times on Saturday.
Thanks

Next Friday is fine, just let me know what time (the earlier the better) and I will be there. John

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Help me out here John

Help me out here John

jrhendy said:
Next Friday is fine, just let me know what time (the earlier the better) and I will be there. John

What is early? Most pool players I know think 9 is early. Larry is off Friday so hes good but diego gets off about 4 or 5. I will check. Give me an idea. Personally I play golf in San Jose til about 2, so will go to Calif. then .

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
RileysDad said:

The monthly Hard Times Tournament drew 35 players yesterday. Not too bad for August. I left after I got knocked out, but Billy Palmer was in the hot seat and looked tough to beat again. Maybe someone who was around for the finish can post more.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
jrhendy said:
The monthly Hard Times Tournament drew 35 players yesterday. Not too bad for August. I left after I got knocked out, but Billy Palmer was in the hot seat and looked tough to beat again. Maybe someone who was around for the finish can post more.

Correction... there were 37 players for the One Pocket Monthly tournament... yeah.. One Pocket is DEAD in Northern California... everywhere but ONE location... HARD TIMES

1st $340 Billy Palmer
2nd $260 Jeff Gregory
3rd $180 Frank Nordmann
4th $100 Ed Ames.

By the way. Billy did the 'double dipper' by taking the 9 Ball tournament on Sunday. (54 players)
1st $500 Billy Plamer
2nd $360 Deo Apajaro
3rd $250 Austin Murphy
4th $180 Ralph Daloin

Last edited:

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Do u have any idea

Do u have any idea

SactownTom said:
Correction... there were 37 players for the One Pocket Monthly tournament... yeah.. One Pocket is DEAD in Northern California... everywhere but ONE location... HARD TIMES

1st $340 Billy Palmer
2nd $260 Jeff Gregory
3rd $180 Frank Nordmann
4th $100 Ed Ames.

By the way. Billy did the 'double dipper' by taking the 9 Ball tournament on Sunday. (54 players)
1st $500 Billy Plamer
2nd $360 Deo Apajaro
3rd $250 Austin Murphy
4th $180 Ralph Daloin

how many times Billy has double dipped that tournament? It seems like an an awful lot. And he does this between work and family w/o missing a beat, or should I say shot.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
suki said:
how many times Billy has double dipped that tournament? It seems like an an awful lot. And he does this between work and family w/o missing a beat, or should I say shot.

I played one of my better games of the day against him on Saturday. Laid down a perfect break, had him 7 to 3 and didn't make a mistake and got beat. His end game is just too good. If he needs a shot to get back in the game, he comes with it. He did the same thing to Jeff Gregory to send him to the losers side. Jeff needed one ball and Billy came with a couple of very tough shots to win it. Now that T-Rex is gone I don't see anyone coming close unless he has a bad day.