DiLiberto vs. Hopkins 1991 Legends of One Pocket-Philadelphia Style

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
NH Steve said:
Hey I called that one right to the spot the two-railer would hit :D Now why can't I hit 'em like I see 'em, lol??
Steve,

It's funny you should say that. You're right of course but I noticed when you wrote it you said the 5 would go "short" into the 2 ball. I would call that "long" into the 2 ball. I've heard people say it both ways:) .

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Steve,

It's funny you should say that. You're right of course but I noticed when you wrote it you said the 5 would go "short" into the 2 ball. I would call that "long" into the 2 ball. I've heard people say it both ways:) .

Dennis
Long into the 2 ball is the correct call, but we all knew what you meant.:D I like the shot that Hopkins shot and he got great results with the hit. I would hate to be Danny in this spot. I wouldn't even be upset if you didn't show us Danny's answer to this leave. Looks like a 3 to 0 final score.:eek:

Billy I.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Larry,

That cut on the 2 ball was possible, especially for Allen Hopkins. He did look at it but I think with a two game lead he decided against it.

View attachment 2648

He did two-rail the 5 ball though, into the 2 ball and put the rock near the side rail.

View attachment 2649

Here's how he left Danny:

View attachment 2650[/QUOTE

THat shot turned out real good. Let me ask you. Would you rather hanve yhe cue ball were it is or inbetween the Thirteen and I think the ten ball by the 8 ball.

Were would you want the cue ball if you had youre choice. Think carefully .

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Cowboy Dennis said:
Larry,

That cut on the 2 ball was possible, especially for Allen Hopkins. He did look at it but I think with a two game lead he decided against it.

View attachment 2648

He did two-rail the 5 ball though, into the 2 ball and put the rock near the side rail.

View attachment 2649

Here's how he left Danny:

View attachment 2650[/QUOTE

THat shot turned out real good. Let me ask you. Would you rather hanve yhe cue ball were it is or inbetween the Thirteen and I think the ten ball by the 8 ball.

Were would you want the cue ball if you had youre choice. Think carefully .
If I were Danny I would have a better chance of getting out of this position if the cue ball was in the stack because you need to do something with the 6 ball and from the position Danny's in now I dont see an out. But if the cue ball was in the rack you could possibly kick the 6 ball in. If I was frozen on a ball where I couldn't kick the 6 ball I would take an intentional and reposition the cue ball where the kick would be an option.

Billy I.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Looks to me that all Danny has to do from here is to shoot straight at the ball in front of him sending it off the bottom rail into the 2 ball near the pocket and it will then also probably clear the 8 ball away from the pocket towards the rack. He just has to follow to the rail and he looks pretty good from there.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
All the shot suggestions from the champions and the choice Allen actually took shows me the difference between top players and us hackers. You guys seem to be a lot safer--more cautious. I'm thinking this probably comes from playing for the big cheese all the time and longer sessions where fatigue and Murphy's law come into play more.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:
Artie Bodendorfer said:
If I were Danny I would have a better chance of getting out of this position if the cue ball was in the stack because you need to do something with the 6 ball and from the position Danny's in now I dont see an out. But if the cue ball was in the rack you could possibly kick the 6 ball in. If I was frozen on a ball where I couldn't kick the 6 ball I would take an intentional and reposition the cue ball where the kick would be an option.

Billy I.[/QUOTE

Wrong answer. To start with with the cue ball inbetwwn the rwo balls thier will be no angle too kick. Thats why both shoots must be set up so people can see it .

And the will take for granted what the person is saying is correct. Because no one answers or vizulizes the cue ball. THier will be no angle too kick at.

And the way the balls are you can shoot the combination. And leave the cue ball in the stack. And you can even get a ball by your pocket. Look at the shoot its wright thier.

Even if you shoot the front ball into the thirteen the combination will go cross corner. And the front ball will go to the right afer hitting the second ball.

Abnd its a natural angle.And being in the stack were I sais all you can do is take a scratch.

Or go too the end rail.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Artie Bodendorfer said:
wincardona said:
Artie Bodendorfer said:

Billy I.[/QUOTE

Wrong answer. To start with with the cue ball inbetwwn the rwo balls thier will be no angle too kick. Thats why both shoots must be set up so people can see it .

And the will take for granted what the person is saying is correct. Because no one answers or vizulizes the cue ball. THier will be no angle too kick at.

And the way the balls are you can shoot the combination. And leave the cue ball in the stack. And you can even get a ball by your pocket. Look at the shoot its wright thier.

Even if you shoot the front ball into the thirteen the combination will go cross corner. And the front ball will go to the right afer hitting the second ball.

Abnd its a natural angle.And being in the stack were I sais all you can do is take a scratch.

Or go too the end rail.

From my experiences it's not easy to draw the cue ball and freeze it to balls, and if the cue ball is not frozen to the balls you clearly have a kick. If the cue ball is frozen to the balls you can take an intentional scratch and reposition the cue ball where you will have a kick.

If you notice the distance the cue ball is from the side rail and the angle he has on the combination on the 6 ball, he has to cut the solid ball to his left which sends the cue ball away from the stack. So repositioning the cue ball in the stack is going to be very difficult.

When and if Dennis shows us Danny's counter move that should tell the story on what's available.

Billy I.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
I have to admit, there have been times where I left someone in the stack, only to realize it left him options. I think in this example if you want the benefit of the 5 moving towards your hole it is easier to leave him on the rail, if you are fine with playing a little less 5-ball then you can get him on those balls... It is a "what if" situation, If you exchange innings with the cueball stayiing over there and he bunts you to the rail and back etc, you don't have to like it.

Reason this one got replied to, is over the last year or so I went from a player who always left you in the stack, to a player who realizes when not to...This is one where if you lay it down good, you can benefit, but a 3 inch mistake and he is left an option. You have a square foot or better playing him near the rail.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Cowboy Dennis said:
Steve,

Dennis
Either way, it was a good shot choice, and that is pretty much the long and the short of it, lol :D

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:
Artie Bodendorfer said:
wincardona said:
From my experiences it's not easy to draw the cue ball and freeze it to balls, and if the cue ball is not frozen to the balls you clearly have a kick. If the cue ball is frozen to the balls you can take an intentional scratch and reposition the cue ball where you will have a kick.

If you notice the distance the cue ball is from the side rail and the angle he has on the combination on the 6 ball, he has to cut the solid ball to his left which sends the cue ball away from the stack. So repositioning the cue ball in the stack is going to be very difficult.

When and if Dennis shows us Danny's counter move that should tell the story on what's available.

Billy I.

Even if the cue ball is not frozen if you are behind the ball more tou still dont have a kick shot.

Billy you only get one shot you cant play bothe sides. And but the cue ball were you want too . Too make the shot look incorrect.

In Chess you get one move. You do not get your opponents move too.

Again taking a intentinol scratch only makes it worse for you. Your still not getting the kick shot. Because after you take your scratch.

Its my shot. Dont you think that I will put you back in the same position,

And you waisted a shot. And it didnt accomplish anything. And I put the cue ball between the two balls to lock up my oponent I am not shooting the shot too make a ball.

And leaving me on the rail were you had the cue ball If the two rail shot does not roll real good for you . I am out off the trap.

And were the cue ball was on youre shot was further up the table. And Allen brought the cue ball further down the table.

I think Danny will shoot the ball in front off him and but the cue ball into the stack.

I would shoot the combination with the strip balls and leave the cue ball in the stack. And but a ball in front off my pocket.

And neither one off these shots could be played rom the position that I had leaving the cue ball in the stack. Danny wight even shoot one ball into another ball and clearing the balls awat.

Eitch is very hard. But I showed you 3 shots you can shoot from the cue ball being by the rail.

And thier are more shots too. Were buting him were I said you are cutting off more then half the table. And thats the half were all the balls are.

And you are very limited what you can do. And you have no shots too but a ball by your pocket. Like you have with the cue ball neer the rail.

I hope evertone can see that. You are gutting off all the opyions of what your opponent can do. And he canot put a ball by his pocket.

He can only hope too get out off the trap. And we is not going too get a kick on the 6 ball.

THE only way you should play the cue ball by the rail if you are playing too make a ball and run out. Buting the cue ball by the rail is helping your opponent to get out off the trap.

I think I made it pretty clear.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
Either way, it was a good shot choice, and that is pretty much the long and the short of it, lol :D[/QUOTE

Nothing wrong with the shot its a natural one pocket shot. THe shot is ok. BUt the qouistion thats important is were is the best place for the cue ball. And Why?

THats the qouistion now. THe shot has been picket. Now we go from thier.

And this shot was my second choice and still is. For what my reason is we dont need to go into that now.

Lets finish up were is the best place to leave the cue ball. That is were we are ay now?

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Artie Bodendorfer said:
NH Steve said:
Either way, it was a good shot choice, and that is pretty much the long and the short of it, lol :D[/QUOTE

Nothing wrong with the shot its a natural one pocket shot. THe shot is ok. BUt the qouistion thats important is were is the best place for the cue ball. And Why?

THats the qouistion now. THe shot has been picket. Now we go from thier.

And this shot was my second choice and still is. For what my reason is we dont need to go into that now.

Lets finish up were is the best place to leave the cue ball. That is were we are ay now?
Sorry look below.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Artie Bodendorfer said:
wincardona said:
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Even if the cue ball is not frozen if you are behind the ball more tou still dont have a kick shot.

Billy you only get one shot you cant play bothe sides. And but the cue ball were you want too . Too make the shot look incorrect.

In Chess you get one move. You do not get your opponents move too.

Again taking a intentinol scratch only makes it worse for you. Your still not getting the kick shot. Because after you take your scratch.

Its my shot. Dont you think that I will put you back in the same position,

And you waisted a shot. And it didnt accomplish anything. And I put the cue ball between the two balls to lock up my oponent I am not shooting the shot too make a ball.

And leaving me on the rail were you had the cue ball If the two rail shot does not roll real good for you . I am out off the trap.

And were the cue ball was on youre shot was further up the table. And Allen brought the cue ball further down the table.

I think Danny will shoot the ball in front off him and but the cue ball into the stack.

I would shoot the combination with the strip balls and leave the cue ball in the stack. And but a ball in front off my pocket.

And neither one off these shots could be played rom the position that I had leaving the cue ball in the stack. Danny wight even shoot one ball into another ball and clearing the balls awat.

Eitch is very hard. But I showed you 3 shots you can shoot from the cue ball being by the rail.

And thier are more shots too. Were buting him were I said you are cutting off more then half the table. And thats the half were all the balls are.

And you are very limited what you can do. And you have no shots too but a ball by your pocket. Like you have with the cue ball neer the rail.

I hope evertone can see that. You are gutting off all the opyions of what your opponent can do. And he canot put a ball by his pocket.

He can only hope too get out off the trap. And we is not going too get a kick on the 6 ball.

THE only way you should play the cue ball by the rail if you are playing too make a ball and run out. Buting the cue ball by the rail is helping your opponent to get out off the trap.

I think I made it pretty clear.
players see things differently at times, I like what Hopkins did with both the 5 ball and the cue ball. This shot was actually my preference after I looked harder at the situation. I liked this shot the way he played it for several reasons. First shooting the 5 ball two cushions using a center ball with a touch of inside offers you a better hit on the ball. Secondly you now have the ability to shoot it with the speed that will increase your chances of developing a stronger position. As you can see, the position he created with his shot should not be undervalued, the results speak for itself.

You must respect the choice that Hopkins made, he has always been regarded as one of the smartest one pocket players of our time. He weighed up the situation and he made his choice, and this also must be respected.

Billy I.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Sorry look below.

Billy I.[/QUOTE

Look below. Were past that. And you havant replied too all the different shots that are avalable. From the rail . That wont be avalable from in between the balls.

And THey showed the shot resulte leaving the cue ball on the rail . And they didnt show the shot with the cue ball inbetween the two balls.

And I guess WE have too waite and see what Danny shot. If DEnnies or who can do this will show the shot.

But tell it gets broken down thier is no decision. Excepte what someone is saying.

And By setting the shot up. And you movening the cue ball too kick at the 6 ball. I would like too see that hapen.

Were the cue ball is going too be.

Pictures will show the answers.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
wincardona said:
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Sorry look below.

Billy I.[/QUOTE

Look below. Were past that. And you havant replied too all the different shots that are avalable. From the rail . That wont be avalable from in between the balls.

And THey showed the shot resulte leaving the cue ball on the rail . And they didnt show the shot with the cue ball inbetween the two balls.

And I guess WE have too waite and see what Danny shot. If DEnnies or who can do this will show the shot.

But tell it gets broken down thier is no decision. Excepte what someone is saying.

And By setting the shot up. And you movening the cue ball too kick at the 6 ball. I would like too see that hapen.

And DAnny nan reposition the cue ball easier to kick at the 6 ball from danny taking a scratch on his shot . Andnd kicking at the 6 ball. Because I cant put Danny back in the same trap as I can from the froze posiotion.

Even doing that will work from the side rail. Because if you scratch back you can but him in the same position.

BUt DAnny has yo shoot a shot too get out off the trap. And even her taging a intentional scratch is no good. Because all he has too do is role the cue ball back too the rail . At the same angle.

THe only thing tha might be a little better is he might not be froze too the rail. But he will be right back were he started. Unless he shoots one off the shots I said.

The combination bank on the two stripe balls looks pretty good.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Artie Bodendorfer said:
wincardona said:
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Sorry look below.

Billy I.[/QUOTE

Another factor that hasn't been discussed is that by drawing the cue ball and repositioning it in the stack your not going to get the same results with the 5 ball. You even said that you are playing all cue ball. So with that understanding the 6 ball wouldn't be in the position that it is now in. Making the escape easier for your opponent.

The results of Hopkins choice was predicated by the way he executed the shot, in terms of accuracy and speed. That also should be recognized.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Having debates with knowledgeable players is an excellent way to improve ones game, simply because you can pick and choose a little from both players mind and incorporate what you feel will be conducive to the way you play and think.

Artie is one of the most knowledgeable players ever to play one pocket, and I actually enjoy debating with him, regardless as how it may appear. I have learned more about playing pool from conversations that I have had with champions, than I have learned in all other ways combined. But never undervalue the importance of speculating when you practice. This is an excellent way to expand your imagination, and develop a better game.

Billy I.