Draw stroke

beatle

Verified Member
Bringing it back exactly three inches,six inches or twelve inches when needed.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
What is considered a pro draw shot? 10 diamonds or more? I can only get 8...

Bille,

Beatle is right..Even in 9ball..Drawing your ball, just the length of the table rarely comes up..multi-rail draw shots, almost NEVER...Unless you play on it every day..It is much more important to quickly establish a feel for the speed of the table, the rails, and the cue ball reaction, as accurate 'short distance' control, on a draw shot, may come up SEVERAL TIMES A GAME..(especially in one pocket.) ;)

I rarely, if ever, practiced (ugh)...but before playing a match on a strange table, I'd hit a few balls to get an idea of those factor's, and the rail speed... It worked (for me anyway)...better than shooting a hundred balls at the hole !

Old School McDuck

PS..Bille, if you can draw your ball 8 diamonds, I'd say you're done with that chapter...Move on !... There are a ton of other things, in the learning process..that will serve you much better, in a REAL game !.(note; "aiming systems" AIN'T one of 'em..) :eek:

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i think beatles answer is the right one
BUT
this is PRO DISTANCE DRAW ...:eek:........:D
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbnxQWe_OTg[/ame]

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Practicing these will keep you occupied the rest of your life.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuNGsN0cMoE[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWtyPrgn2VA&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/ame]

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Larry Nevel does some amazing stuff here but I had to hit the mute button to get rid of that annoying woodpecker in the background.

You are right Frank..Larry Nevels is an absolute freak, at drawing his rock...However, it does not translate to making one, a really good, all around player..I couldn't draw my ball half that far,...But my combined record playing him, (and Mike Massey)..is about 12 and 1...;)

The 'Braggin' Duck

Last edited:

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Amen Brother.

Amen Brother.

Bringing it back exactly three inches,six inches or twelve inches when needed.

The original question was with respect to a power draw shot but all the stories I remember hearing about the position play of a Pro came down to two qualities, consistency and precision. The two qualities are related but in my opinion consistency is more important than precision most of the time.
Training to develop and maintain these two qualities is, again in my opinion, part of the daily grind for serious players.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
If I was to start playing all over again though, i would actually work on my draw stroke initially a LOT. i'd want to get it back as far as possible, but contrary to the op's thoughts, length would not be nearly as important as the accuracy of the hits -- meaning draw with zero spin. then onto refining the precision once that is totally, 100% down. good pool is simply a reflection of how accurately you are hitting the cb imo.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I am reminded of that old saying, "Draw for show; follow for dough"

What I take out of that saying is that it is a lot easier to be more consistent with follow than it is with draw, which leads to the good advice about trying to get more consistent with your short and medium draw performance.

Anyway, they are all tools in your toolbox!

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bqCPqYJ30zo[/ame]

This is the best draw stroke I've seen. (Towards the end of the video)

No tricks just a tough shot. That cue ball goes a long ways!

Dudley

SJDinPHX

Suspended
The original question was with respect to a power draw shot but all the stories I remember hearing about the position play of a Pro came down to two qualities, consistency and precision. The two qualities are related but in my opinion consistency is more important than precision most of the time.
Training to develop and maintain these two qualities is, again in my opinion, part of the daily grind for serious players.

Very well said sir...:)

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL

What I take out of that saying is that it is a lot easier to be more consistent with follow than it is with draw, which leads to the good advice about trying to get more consistent with your short and medium draw performance.

I am about as far from an authority as one can get but if it matters, I concur with Steve.

I have a Son that draws about 80% of his shots. When he loses I say "Live by the draw, die by the draw"

Pel ~ ball banger extraordinare :lol

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

I never heard anything like that before now. Given an equal choice to play shapes and get to the same place with the cueball I will almost always draw the cueball. It locks the object ball into the pocket better than follow. One example: a spot-shot on game ball, no other balls on the table; I'm shooting with draw.

Dennis

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Larry Nevel, Mike Massey, Cory Duel. No links though. I'm sure there is on youtube.

I've looked and haven't seen a draw shot that traveled further. I know Mike, Cory and Larry have big stroke but I've yet to see a video that beats this one.

The Mike Massey vid earlier in the thread is from a closer starting point.

Dud