Shaking Hands After A Match

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Let me start by saying this; If an opponent walked up to me after a match, whether he beat me or I beat him, and extended his hand to me, I would not refuse to shake his hand no matter how stupid I thought he was.

I will say this; If you beat me or I beat you I will not walk up to you and extend my hand, forcing you to shake it or be a jerk for refusing. The only thing my hand will be doing is holding a coin whilst I get ready to flip it and telling you to call it for the next set.

To be clear; I don't want to shake your hand if I lost nor if I won. All I want to do is play another set.

To each his own.

Dennis

beatle

Verified Member
sure do agree with you here. i cant believe so many think that after a match for cash you would want to shake hands. or even give it a second thought.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
You got me thinkig about this and I don't recall ever shaking hands with anyone after a money match. Never thought there was a reson to.
However in a tournament I normally do so with some exceptios.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Well, I have already had my turn at the input on this one. I'll give it a slightly different spin here: If I beat a guy I could not stand, and he pulled every little nefarious move he knew to try and win, i'd love to sink that last match ball and impudently walk up to him, look him in the eye and stick my hand out. Otherwise, I'll leave the "to shake or not to shake" up to the guy on the losing end.

If it matters here, I have always been a proponent of saying "good luck" after a loss in a tournament. I rarely ever say "nice shooting," only when I really mean it. If I win I just keep my mouth 100% shut and follow his lead on the handshake, or lack thereof.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Thinking about my own pool matches, and cash games I have witnessed, I don't recall a handshake coming up that often at the end. The cash changes hands and maybe a word or two acknowledging good shooting if someone is feeling cordial, but what I see most often is probably just the players giving the other a little respectful space.

Skin

Verified Member
I don't shake hands with anybody before or after a match. Where has that hand been, anyway??? If a guy extends his hand, he gets a light fist bump - leftie.

And definitely no man-hugs or slaps on the butt, either.

Skin

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
If you are in a pool room and you see someone shaking hands with someone else, you can bet your bippy that the man getting his hand shook is a pool sucker.

Beard

RedCard

Verified Member
The Sporting Life

The Sporting Life

If you are in a pool room and you see someone shaking hands with someone else, you can bet your bippy that the man getting his hand shook is a pool sucker.

Beard

I don't think I've ever seen it. If I do I'd consider the possibility of it being a dump settled in full view of the backer. More likely the shaker is trying to get the shakee's watch or at the very least transfer the honest pool dirt from his hand to the forearm, hand or watch area of the mark. This takes some practice since it often requires the dip to grab the temporary watch owner's left hand resulting in an awkward looking shake and possible cross contamination with whatever chalk/dust/talc the opponent picked up during his infrequent innings at the table.

If it's a vigorous two-handed shake with obnoxious eye contact it's almost surely a move for the watch.

(Just kidding Don).

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Ah yes, the Lord works in mysterious ways...Thanks guys, for all the inadvertent, or not, non-handshake-offering affirmations...since John H. started this all up by saying that I was a real wrong guy for not going up to him when our match was over, offering to shake his hand...:cool:

- Ghost

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Ah yes, the Lord works in mysterious ways...Thanks guys, for all the inadvertent, or not, non-handshake-offering affirmations...since John H. started this all up by saying that I was a wrong guy for not going up to him when our match was over, offering to shake his hand...:cool:

- Ghost

Mine was inadvertent. It simply occurred to me that I didn't ever remember shaking anyone's hand after a gambling match and probably never would.

In the several tournaments I've played I believe I've shaken hands with the opponent, sometimes as a winner and sometimes as a loser. It seems different in a tournament, no cash involved.

Dennis

backplaying

Verified Member
In a tournament or gambling, I would think it would be up to the loser. I know a pro who won't shake hands unless he wins a match.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
In a tournament match I always shake hands. For cash, I will only shake hands if I think my oppo is an egg and I am going to rehash him later.

Beard

Hmmm. Reconsidering that the Ghost and John was a streamed match, that might change the rules. Maybe an ending handshake might have been ok in that spot. As to who should have approached who, I couldnt say. But knowing John and Ghost, I dont believe either guy would have been adverse to shaking hands. In the ending confusion maybe it just didnt come up. ??? I shook John's hand afterwards, just as I would have congratulated Ghost if he would have won. But you can attribute a lot of that to the fact that I was the stakeholder and I was locking in my "gapper."

Last edited:

RedCard

Verified Member
But...Watch the Watch

But...Watch the Watch

A lot of money sessions I've watched had no chance of the players shaking hands after it was decided. Probably a pretty good majority of them.

However, if it is made available to everyone to watch (live, delayed, recorded or streamed on the internet) a handshake should be standard. Even one of those perfunctory 'no contacters', goes a long way towards making it look like a legitimate sport to those who might still have their doubts. Save the hard looks and left hooks for off-camera.

Sponsors, room owners, potential league players, etc. would likely be more apt to get involved if they could count on at least a veneer of civility at the end of the festivities. Newspapers might even start covering the sport like they did a hundred years ago. A little Three Cushion mentioned here, I'm not sure One Pocket was around in it's current form when some of this was written.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F00812F73E5D147A93C2AA178BD95F4C8185F9

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F50D11F73E5D147A93C3A9178AD95F4C8185F9

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F20D1EF8345E10738DDDA10894DA405B8184F0D3

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F50F1FFB385F13738DDDAA0A94DA405B838DF1D3

The Civil War wasn't the only thing going on in 1862:

Attachments

• Billiards.jpg
    Billiards.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 0

Skin

Verified Member

That's from the Art of Manliness website. How many times have you NOT seen all those parameters fulfilled in the after-pool-match handshake? Me too, plenty.

Notice the guy from Texas is armed, also. :D

Skin

RedCard

Verified Member
📢

📢

That's from the Art of Manliness website. How many times have you NOT seen all those parameters fulfilled in the after-pool-match handshake? Me too, plenty.

Notice the guy from Texas is armed, also. :D

Skin

That illustrates what I was trying to...no it doesn't, never mind.

I will say the Texan has apparently already lost his watch. I believe it was due to the eye contact, w/smile. The smile on Doc Holliday's face is that of a vacuum cleaner salesman coming face to face with a housewife.