Olathe Tournament

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I'm not able to report results because I had to leave several hours before the semi-final and final, but stuff you may be interested in anyway:

Good tournament with a brutal field for a regional $60-entry open 1P w/$1000 added.

61 players, including: Danny Smith, Justin Bergman, Joey Gray, Warren Kiamco, LSJohn, Dennis Orcollo, Chip Compton, Skylar Woodward, Roberto Gomez, Rob Saez, Shane McMinn, Alex Olinger, John Gabriel, Gary Lutman, Chuck Ralston, James Walden, a dozen shortstops and one shortstroke. Where's Waldo?

Orcollo won the hot seat, Woodward will play the winner of Gray/Bergman in the semi. Will finish today (about now) but I've had trouble finding results for Olathe until long after. If anybody knows or hears, please post.

Bar table 9-ball, $4000 added, started last night (Friday) with 158 players in the open division; about 30 entries in the Women's division. Oh, that reminds me; I mistakenly added McMinn and Saez to 1P, but they arrived from Memphis too late to play the 1P (don't know whether that was intentional--- I'd think not 'cause both would be competitive even in this line-up.)

Good auction for the 9-ball: Woodward first pick, 2 Dimes, then 12 to 15 more picks slowly working down to $200.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Good tournament with a brutal field for a regional $60-entry open 1P w/$1000 added.

61 players, including: Danny Smith, Justin Bergman, Joey Gray, Warren Kiamco, LSJohn, Dennis Orcollo, Chip Compton, Skylar Woodward, Roberto Gomez, Rob Saez, Shane McMinn, Alex Olinger, John Gabriel, Gary Lutman, Chuck Ralston, James Walden, a dozen shortstops and one shortstroke. Where's Waldo?...
Wow! What a heavyweight field for a $1000 added event. I imagine that if they'd added $1100, players would have come in from Europe and Taiwan...:D

~Doc
Cheers for the report

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
"James Walden" -- Now that is a great name to see out and competing in a One Pocket tournament!

He's still got the skills, but not quite into tournament shape yet. 90%+ of his shots excellent, but a sneaker every now and then that costs him. I'd like to see him back in action and doing well. Never knew him more than very casually, but he seems a very likable guy.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
He's still got the skills, but not quite into tournament shape yet. 90%+ of his shots excellent, but a sneaker every now and then that costs him. I'd like to see him back in action and doing well. Never knew him more than very casually, but he seems a very likable guy.

Walden has always been a very likable person and a very strong, smart player that held up well under pressure. It would of taken a true upper echelon player to have beaten him, that's how well he played, I also am glad to hear of him back playing I hope he does well.

Dr. Bill

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Alex first went to Olathe when he was 16 years old. He was playing run-out full-rack rotation with a friend for ice water. I didn't see him in action, but there was a lot going on. In the building that weekend:

Walden
RA
Grady
Buddy
Parica
Cooney
Matlock
Hopkins
Joyner
Tommy Kennedy
Tang Hoa
Steve "Lizard" Smith
CJ
Wetch
(and I think Ronnie Alcano)

J SCHWARZ

Verified Member
Dennis took down the 1p, shredder got 2nd, sky took 3rd Bergman 4th. Jump sticks were allowed in the 1p tourney:eek:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Dennis took down the 1p, shredder got 2nd, sky took 3rd Bergman 4th. Jump sticks were allowed in the 1p tourney:eek:

Shows how strong Danny's game is: he played poorly -- for him -- the whole tournament. The way he played against Sky would have made a skeptic wonder if he'd bought Sky in the calcutta. :)

Joey played poorly too. I've never before seen him play without a Bud Light, but I think he's trying to ease off... coffee both days. (And he took a job selling roofing products... everybody knows "job" and "champion" don't belong in the same sentence.) :heh