Kicking balls out of pockets

Atlantasmitty

From
Atlanta, GA
I'm getting into one pocket and plan to start entering a $20 tournament at Cues2 once a month. I want to be around better players and the 1pocket players seem to be overall better players.

I'm doing ok with my banks and safeties. But I have no clue what to do to kick a ball out of a pocket.

So any advice is appreciated
Mark

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Atlantasmitty said:
I'm getting into one pocket and plan to start entering a $20 tournament at Cues2 once a month. I want to be around better players and the 1pocket players seem to be overall better players.

I'm doing ok with my banks and safeties. But I have no clue what to do to kick a ball out of a pocket.

Mark
I assume you mean when you can 'see' the ball that is near your opponent's pocket.

If it's too deep it won't come out except rarely.

If it's not too deep a firm hit, maybe rail first, will usually double kiss the ball away -- of course the cue ball takes off a little too.

If it's far enough out of the pocket that you can cleanly kick it away, the idea is to get far enough under the ball to kick it away, but not too far under, which causes the cue ball to slide into the pocket for a scratch. This kick is worth practicing to develop control. You can kick under the ball off the bottom rail, with just enough speed to send the object ball somewhere over towards the side pocket on you own side of the table, leaving the cue ball right by their pocket.

MFH

Verified Member
From
NJ
As a general rule of thumb, it's easier to dig a ball out of the pocket when less than half the object ball is past the jaws of the pocket. If the OB is off to one side of the pocket or the other it's easier as well. Balls that are deeper in the pocket than this or closer to center pocket can still be dug out, but whether they will come out and their path is less predictable.

As far as hit goes, I like a firm hit, a little below center.

You should definitely spend a little time practicing these shots, as they'll come in very handy when you need them.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Atlantasmitty said:
But I have no clue what to do to kick a ball out of a pocket.

Mark
Grady Mathews demonstrates most of the common dig-outs on his tape "The Finer Points of One Pocket". I don't know if that particular tape is still available. You might check his website: gradymathews.com

Doc

Atlantasmitty

From
Atlanta, GA
Alright. Is there specific spin I should know. There are times where I kick a ball out but because I put spin on the cueball it heads straight for the pocket and I would have been better off to sink it myself keeping my opponent on his side.

Being at Cues2 often I do have the benefit of watching Cliff Joyner play. But I can't always tell what he is doing. Maybe I should buy him a measle ball.

Appreciate the help. If my work schedule doesn't screw me over I plan on entering next week.

Sharkie

From
Atlanta,GA
mr. cues

mr. cues

Hey Smitty,

PM me. I play at cues and would love to pratice with you. I'm learning the game also. We could pratice cheap.

starfix_1

From
Lafayette, La.
Risk Vs. Reward

Risk Vs. Reward

Sounds like the best thing you can do is just tap it in leaving the Cue in the pocket. Practice the other ways people have suggested and notice the out come of each shot, that will be your base for deciding if it is worth it...

runonce

gulfportdoc said:
"The Finer Points of One Pocket". I don't know if that particular tape is still available. You might check his website: gradymathews.com
He shows a 'Killer One Pocket' for $30, but not this other.

Atlantasmitty

From
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the advice.

Normally if I come to a situation where an opponents ball is near or in a pocket. If I can't get to any of my other balls I tap it in to keep it on their side. But when I play better players I know that won't always be the best option. However I know it will just take time.

Sharkie:
That sounds good. I play at Cues2 every Tuesday and Thursday for League. You can normally spot me because most of my cases have a DTOM (Don't Tread On Me) sticker on it. Also if I'm not playing I try to grab a seat on the island in the back to watch the onepocket players in the shimmed section.

Again appreciate the help
Mark