UK 8ball champ coming to USA

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I mentioned this on AZ billiards and I probably should have posted it here first, my main forum, 1pkt.org.

Next month, a top English 8 ball player asked me to help him with his conversion to American 8 ball as played in the IPT, I agreed, and he is coming to Chicago to stay with me for a few weeks. I am very excited, as I have always wanted to work with a young player that has superb executional skills already in place. For the moment, the player shall go unnamed, but you will all find out his identity in due time, as he has promised to wear my Bank On Brother hats and shirts as often as he can when he is on the IPT tour. English 8 ball is played on a smaller table with smaller balls, and smaller rounded pockets.

My protege and me intend to make a lot of noise in the IPT.

the Beard

Dave Mackay

Verified Member
Can we have some guesses?????

My money would be on Darren Appleton,

THIS MAN IS CLASS!!!!

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
1981 National 8-Ball Team Champions

1981 National 8-Ball Team Champions

I came across this photo in an old flyer. Anyone recognize these guys? :) :)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
fred bentivegna said:
I mentioned this on AZ billiards and I probably should have posted it here first, my main forum, 1pkt.org.

Next month, a top English 8 ball player asked me to help him with his conversion to American 8 ball as played in the IPT, I agreed, and he is coming to Chicago to stay with me for a few weeks. I am very excited, as I have always wanted to work with a young player that has superb executional skills already in place. For the moment, the player shall go unnamed, but you will all find out his identity in due time, as he has promised to wear my Bank On Brother hats and shirts as often as he can when he is on the IPT tour. English 8 ball is played on a smaller table with smaller balls, and smaller rounded pockets.

My protege and me intend to make a lot of noise in the IPT.

the Beard
And different rules -- do they still penalize a foul, not by ball-in-hand but instead by giving the incoming player an extra free inning at the table?? That was interesting!

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Where did you find that?

Where did you find that?

onepocket said:
I came across this photo in an old flyer. Anyone recognize these guys? :) :)

That was the US bar team championships held in Milwaukee, WI. Left to right, Artie Bodendorfer, George Pawalski (Racine WI) real good player, Johnny Abruzzo (Chicago, IL) monster 8 ball player, and me, Fred Bentivegna. Four brutal "squeeze" players all on the same team.

the Beard

Dave Mackay

Verified Member
tried to send pm but your box is full

tried to send pm but your box is full

Hi Freddy,

I'm friendly with some of the ipt players players from the uk appleton, hill, boyes etc so if your working with any of them i reckon you got a good player on your hands, Daz appleton is awesome!!!

Hope it goes well for you, if i find out who it is a wont post it on the site.

Dave
(oh by the way i just bought your book off here and a couple of your shirts one for me and one for a mate.)

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Empty

Empty

Dave Mackay said:
Hi Freddy,

I'm friendly with some of the ipt players players from the uk appleton, hill, boyes etc so if your working with any of them i reckon you got a good player on your hands, Daz appleton is awesome!!!

Hope it goes well for you, if i find out who it is a wont post it on the site.

Dave
(oh by the way i just bought your book off here and a couple of your shirts one for me and one for a mate.)

Dave, I got your shirt order and I also emptied my PM box.
the Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Brian Saleh IPT player from UK

Brian Saleh IPT player from UK

Well, I might as well release it. Brian Saleh, a member of the IPT tour, and a UK Eight Ball champion has arrived at my house. He is going to stay with me for about a week this trip before he goes to Nevada for the IPT tour. He will return to me in a month or so to get ready for the 2mil tourney to be held in Chicago in Nov. He was initially impressed with my book, Banking With The Beard, and decided to email me for help with American 8 ball. He was smart enough to realize that there are vast differences between American and English 8 ball. He is a wonderful student! He has all the qualities I dream about in a student and protege. Commitment, talent, and humility among others. Plus he shoots straighter than Rambo. I am also going to act as his "corner man" in the Chicago tournament. He will be a force to reckon with in the IPT tour. A Note to you other players in the IPT: Dont leave Brian any banks!

the Beard

MisterBanker

Verified Member
Here's his first bracket:

Here's his first bracket:

Group 25
Warren KIAMCO
Brian SALEH
Michael ZIMMERMAN
Keith MCCREADY
Cliff JOYNER
________
ATHEISM FORUM

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Update

Update

A little update:
After only two days, Brian is absorbing information at breakneck speed. He reminds me of Efren back in the 80s when Efren and I played 1pocket every day. What an attitude!

the Beard

thecardman

Verified Member
From
Stewarton, Ayrshire, Scotland
NH Steve said:
And different rules -- do they still penalize a foul, not by ball-in-hand but instead by giving the incoming player an extra free inning at the table?? That was interesting!

There are, basically, 2 main sets of rules in use here in the UK.

First off, there is the "World Rules", mostly played in England in which a foul results in the opposing player being awarded 2 innings at the table. You can read the full rules by clicking here.

Then, there are the "Blackball" rules that are sanctioned by the WPA. These have only been introduced to the UK in the last year or so. Before that, a completely different set of rules was being used generally called "Fed Rules" - these were more popular by players in Scotland, Wales and Ireland. Both "Fed Rules" and "Blackball" have a common penalty for a foul - the incoming player has a free shot prior to his visit. The Blackball rules go a little further in allowing the incoming player to play the cueball from where it lies or to move it and play it from the "D".

I hope that helps a little. I have not been a fan of UK 8-Ball - whatever the rules in use may be - so I will not be able to answer everything that you need to know. Hopefully the links I have provided will be able to help - even just a little.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
My protege is on the way to Vegas

My protege is on the way to Vegas

After staying with me for a week and working out diligently, my new friend and protege, Brian "the Buzzer" Saleh is on the way to the IPT in Vegas today. We had a great time together and Brian will return to Chicago for more work with me in November. Brian is the kind of student you dream about. The kind of protege Grady was advertising for. I expect him to do well in the IPT. He is a gentleman and a class act. For those wondering if I am also going to teach a nice fellow like him all the dirty tricks I picked up in a 50 yr career, the answer is yes, I just cant help myself. I have to pass that stuff on to somebody.

the Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Under the Radar

Under the Radar

This thread of my tutoring Brian Saleh didnt draw too much attention. I guess everybody figured Brian was a nobody, or maybe my help wouldnt make too much of a difference. However, my boy Brian just knocked off Cliff Joyner in the first round! I dont know the specifics, just that he won 8 games to 7. You were all forewarned.

the Beard

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
Cliff who?????
Just kidding! Good job Brian and good luck with the rest of the field.
I guess that punching bag he worked out on (Dino Monster) helped.
Can't wait to see him play Fred.
Phil Welch

Voodoo Daddy

Verified Member
From
Davie, FLA
fred bentivegna said:
For those wondering if I am also going to teach a nice fellow like him all the dirty tricks I picked up in a 50 yr career, the answer is yes, I just cant help myself. I have to pass that stuff on to somebody.

the Beard

Of course you cant help yourself...HAHAHAHAHA!! Congrats to Brian on his victory over Cliff...not too shabby. Onna dofferent note, hows your wheel coming along?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
He got hit with American sharking techniques

He got hit with American sharking techniques

Voodoo Daddy said:
Of course you cant help yourself...HAHAHAHAHA!! Congrats to Brian on his victory over Cliff...not too shabby. Onna dofferent note, hows your wheel coming along?

My guy Brian Saleh lost his next 3 games. Upon talking to him he revealed that he got hit with brutal sharking by Cliff and Zimmerman. Keith McReady played gentleman pool. I tried to prepare Brian for some of the sharks and moves by the American players. Brian is used to playing with perfect gentleman in Europe. I gave him pre-match strategy -- which he didnt think he needed and didnt use. He will for sure next time. Zimmerman was whistling, going to the bathroom, calling the ref over on every shot, talking etc. My guy never expected all that. Now that I have Brians attention, he will be prepared for all contingencies in the next tourney! He will be properly armed against the shark. When I was playing, I was so horrible that Ronnie Allen didnt even bother to try and shark me, and he was the master. In the Chicago IPT in November I will be Brians cornerman. We will see who sharks who.
My leg is getting better every day. I hope to play in the Aug/Sept tourn. in Derby City. But I will be in the Jan spectacular for sure.

the Beard

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
Wow Freddy are you kidding?
Keith was a gentleman? Talk about irony. He's the guy you'd think would hold back nothing in the sharking department. Imagine that. I think the worst sharking I've ever seen was at a tournament years ago in St Charles. Grady was playing Handsome Danny and while Grady was down on the shot Danny who was right in his line of sight starting shaking his cue stick back and forth. It was so blatant. Grady was so po'd I thought I saw smoke coming out of his ears. I hope Brian didn't have to contend with that sort of nonsense.In any event I can't wait to see Brian play. Will the tourney be open to the public in November?
Phil Welch