Peculiar handicap situation...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I was playing a guy the other day who was giving me 9-7. We played a fairly long session, and I ended up quitting 3 games loser. Anyway, I'm driving home and I got to remembering that he spotted a ball every once in awhile; but yet I hadn't realized he'd scratched. I started to piece it together, and it suddenly dawned on me that he was spotting the first ball he made every rack, thinking it was what was required to allow the 9-7 spot! He must have figured 8+7=15 balls in a rack, not realizing that when guys play even it's 8-8, not 8-7, making a combined score of 16 rather than 15.

So next time we play I'm going to tell him not to spot his first ball. However it did raise a question in my mind as to whether spotting his first ball helped HIM, or whether it helped ME. My first reaction was that it helped him, since he'd have one extra ball on the table from which to make his remaining 8; but yet I'd also have an extra ball to make my points as well. So what's the answer??

Doc
(Knowing Hemi will advise me to keep quiet if it gives me the advantage)

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
gulfportdoc said:
I was playing a guy the other day who was giving me 9-7. We played a fairly long session, and I ended up quitting 3 games loser. Anyway, I'm driving home and I got to remembering that he spotted a ball every once in awhile; but yet I hadn't realized he'd scratched. I started to piece it together, and it suddenly dawned on me that he was spotting the first ball he made every rack, thinking it was what was required to allow the 9-7 spot! He must have figured 8+7=15 balls in a rack, not realizing that when guys play even it's 8-8, not 8-7, making a combined score of 16 rather than 15.

So next time we play I'm going to tell him not to spot his first ball. However it did raise a question in my mind as to whether spotting his first ball helped HIM, or whether it helped ME. My first reaction was that it helped him, since he'd have one extra ball on the table from which to make his remaining 8; but yet I'd also have an extra ball to make my points as well. So what's the answer??

Doc
If he is good enough to spot you a couple of balls, chances are he knows spotting up a ball is to his advantage. If I need more balls, the more balls that are on the table make it better for me. It is however a small advantage with this spot, but still an advantage.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
gulfportdoc said:
...it suddenly dawned on me that he was spotting the first ball he made every rack, thinking it was what was required to allow the 9-7 spot! He must have figured 8+7=15 balls in a rack, not realizing that when guys play even it's 8-8, not 8-7, making a combined score of 16 rather than 15.
Doc
Well its clear to me that you aren't a natural 'short change artist' or you would have still made him go to 9 :)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
jrhendy said:
If he is good enough to spot you a couple of balls, chances are he knows spotting up a ball is to his advantage. If I need more balls, the more balls that are on the table make it better for me. It is however a small advantage with this spot, but still an advantage.
Sounds about right. So you're saying that since we both need more balls it's an advantage to both of us; but that it's more of an advantage to him, because he needs MORE balls.

The funny part is, I'm sure the guy did it innocently-- just had it wrong in his mind. He's a tough player, but not a cheater. At least not something that bold faced...<wink>

Doc
(rembering the good old days at 1p.o when the "smilies" worked)

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
The Edge

The Edge

gulfportdoc said:
Sounds about right. So you're saying that since we both need more balls it's an advantage to both of us; but that it's more of an advantage to him, because he needs MORE balls.

The funny part is, I'm sure the guy did it innocently-- just had it wrong in his mind. He's a tough player, but not a cheater. At least not something that bold faced...<wink>

Doc
(rembering the good old days at 1p.o when the "smilies" worked)

It's not cheating Doc, it's "GAMESMANSHIP". Any little angle that can give you an edge in your mind, helps. We have all seen players argue forever when matching up, just trying to get that little edge. The guy who gets his way has an advantage.