The Official DCC 2011 Match Ups, Challenges, Barking, & Prop Bets Thread

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
gulfportdoc said:
As I recall, Greg and his crew had problems with their new computer tournament scheduling/scoring program. It was pretty bad, and one never new when one's match was coming up. The results listings had lagged way behind as well.

Reportedly they smoothed it out a little better for this past event. Does anyone know the specifics on that? Is their program working well now? It IS a very complicated task, but I assume that the proof is in the programming...

Doc
Deeman said:
Doc,

Deeman said:
Doc,Don't let them fix that and the one excuse I have left for getting beat! :)

Gee, it was tough thinking you'd play at 4:00p.m. waiting around and waiting around then end up playing at 2:00 p.m. the following day! At the old place, at least you could sit in your room and rest watching the TV to give you some hint of the situation on your tables. I'll carry my I_Pad this year so maybe they will have the things on-line. Does anyone know if they had the TV schedule in the rooms last year? I missed that one.

The match scheduling was much better last year, and they had all of the scheduling rolling on a TV station in your room, like they used to do.

- Ghost

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
Yeah, I'll second Ghost's reply. I played in the banks and the one pocket last time (2010), and I didn't personally have any issues with the scheduling. They also had the schedule available on the TV in your room, and it was an exact duplicate feed of what they were displaying downstairs on the big screens in the tournament room. That was incredibly convenient as it meant you could go back and chill in your room or take a nap and not worry about having to run all the way back to the tourney room to check your match time or have a buddy let you know when they called your name. They also had color codes for your name/match, which signified how close you were to playing your next match: green meant you were 2 matches in front of you, orange or yellow (can't remember) if you had one match in front of you, and red if you were up now. They were able to do this as they assigned the tables ahead of time, so even if your name was green, you knew how you were playing and what table you were playing on. If your next one pocket match involved Scott or Efren, your name was in black to indicate certain death...just kidding. :cool: So, besides the hotel being in the middle of absolute nowhere, I didn't have any issues with the event.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Ghost said:
Deeman said:
Doc,

The match scheduling was much better last year, and they had all of the scheduling rolling on a TV station in your room, like they used to do.

- Ghost

Jasper,

Just curious...Could you please compare the weather in 2010, to "09....I assume they dodged the "Ice Storm" that hit in "09...So was it just plain "Brass Monkey" cold and windy,with knee deep snow ?

I am thinking of driving back there to visit friends and relatives in Illinois and Michigan, after DCC. (I'm sure I will need the free room and board)... Will I need tire chains, and an engine heater ?..jes askin'..:eek:

I am trying to promote a tournament in Gila Bend Arizona, in August, when it is 115 and fairly humid. (monsoon season)...It is a proven fact, that pool degenerates will go "anywhere" the action is..;)

A side benefit (NOT enjoyed at the Horseshoe) is, room rates, and golf green fee's...are VERY cheap, that time of year in AZ...:eek:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
SJDinPHX said:
I may be guilty of 'dawdling', but thats what I was waiting to hear...My check is in the mail today.

As it gets closer Ghosty, let me know what dates you will be going, as I will not be planning on staying for anything but the one pocket dates.

However, thats what I did in "09, and the ending dates got changed at the last minute, and I had to miss the Semi's and the Finals, due to flight and room commitments.
Hope, (for all long distance traveller's sake)...it runs smoother this year...11-12 years of practice should be enough to get it right..huh ? :)

Papie.....I'll be there for 7-8 days - Friday to Friday.....for you to be there long enough for the whole One Pocket tournament, all of the action already negotiated involving you, me, Artie, John, Bernie, etc. and also spontaneous action that no doubt will happen (i.e. pocket-speed-banks - you vs. Freddy :D - I'd pay myself to watch that), you might want to consider coming for more days...it doesn't get any better than this jamboree! (just ask John), and it only happens once a year.

SJDinPHX said:
Jasper,

Just curious...Could you please compare the weather in 2010, to "09....I assume they dodged the "Ice Storm" that hit in "09...So was it just plain "Brass Monkey" cold and windy,with knee deep snow ?

I am thinking of driving back there to visit friends and relatives in Illinois and Michigan, after DCC. (I'm sure I will need the free room and board)... Will I need tire chains, and an engine heater ?..jes askin'..:eek:

Papie.....The January weather there, is a crap-shoot - no way to know for sure, ahead of time...but I can give you the 'weather-past-performances', since I was down there for 11 years in a row...

2009 was by far the worst year - freezing temps, snow, ice storm......2 of those 11 years we had unseasonably balmy weather for January - 50-60 degrees.....the other 8 years were average - 35-45 degrees, with a light dusting of snow about 1/3rd of those years, no snow the other 2/3rds.

Your Travel Guide, Ghost

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
One Pocket Ghost said:
Papie.....The January weather there, is a crap-shoot - no way to know for sure, ahead of time...but I can give you the 'weather-past-performances', since I was down there for 11 years in a row...

2009 was by far the worst year - freezing temps, snow, ice storm......2 of those 11 years we had unseasonably balmy weather for January - 50-60 degrees.....the other 8 years were average - 35-45 degrees, with a light dusting of snow about 1/3rd of those years, no snow the other 2/3rds.
Well, that's reassuring to me, Ghost. When I was leaving the 2009 event --not knowing whether I could get to the airport over the snow and ice, and not even knowing if the flight was cancelled-- I vowed never to come back to that area in the Winter.

Since then I've reconsidered, and have decided to favor the DCC with my presence.:rolleyes: The combination of no more Galveston, and my friendships with several of the guys (and gal) on this site, has caused me once again to contemplate wintertime in Kentucky.;)

Doc
there's a song in
there somewhere

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
gulfportdoc said:
Well, that's reassuring to me, Ghost. When I was leaving the 2009 event --not knowing whether I could get to the airport over the snow and ice, and not even knowing if the flight was cancelled-- I vowed never to come back to that area in the Winter.

Since then I've reconsidered, and have decided to favor the DCC with my presence.:rolleyes: The combination of no more Galveston, and my friendships with several of the guys (and gal) on this site, has caused me once again to contemplate wintertime in Kentucky.;)

Doc
there's a song in
there somewhere
Can't wait to get back to the DCC!

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Wimps

Wimps

gulfportdoc said:

Doc
there's a song in
there somewhere

You guys are really wimps. -- Worried about Jan in Southern Indiana/Northern Ky? That one winter there was a real freak. So freaky that they dont even bother to have provisions to handle weather like that. The difference between there and Chicago is drastic. Chicagoans often go down there in the winter to swim and sunbathe. Jeez!

Beard

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
fred bentivegna said:
You guys are really wimps. -- Worried about Jan in Southern Indiana/Northern Ky? That one winter there was a real freak. So freaky that they dont even bother to have provisions to handle weather like that. The difference between there and Chicago is drastic. Chicagoans often go down there in the winter to swim and sunbathe. Jeez!
Well-- okay then, Fred. But you'll have to keep the cocoa and coffee coming.:D

Doc

Deeman

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:

Beard

Freddie,

I resemble that remark. Yes, if you Chi Town boys thought 2009 at DCC was a peice of cake, we are all wimps. After digging my vehicle out of the ice (not snow) for hours, it was 400 miles until thr last big chunks fell off the truck!

Like Doc, I swore never to go there again until they changed it to a non-Winter Olympic venue but have softened my position and thawed my toes since then.The only really nice thing I could say about the situation is you had no reason to lave there for the week if you brought you money, your cues and your women with you. :)

By the way. I missed your sunbathing while I was there. Thank God for some things. :)

Great to hear they have the schedule on the room TV again.

DeeMan

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
SJ Dick's upmoney also arrived today -- so both the Ghost & Dick have posted the same for their match.

Dick also made his reservation early for our Hall of Fame dinner (Tuesday, January 25th is the specific date -- right about smack dab in the middle of Derby Week since the niche game actyally starts the Friday before :) ).

See you there, Dick!!

jay helfert

Verified Member
ace said:
Why doesn't he bet $50,000 or $100,000, hell, go for $1,000,000. Sounds like a bluff to me.

This is the same guy who came upstairs looking for me to play some Banks with, this year at DCC. He was with Incardona who did all the talking for him. Billy say you want to play some Banks with Artie. I said sure, right now. He says to Artie get your cue. I ask him what the bet is. Billy says fifty a game short rack. Not five hundred, not even one hundred but fifty a game. I say okay and we play.

I run three and out to win 5-2 and they quit! Yes they quit on me one game loser for $50. And you want to tell me what a high roller this guy is. PLEASE! Afterwards I felt like I had just played a lock artist. If he isn't certain he can win, he doesn't want to play. I'd be glad to play Artie some more Banks this year, but we have to freeze up a minimum 500 and play five ahead. That's only 100 a game.

Ghosty you and I can plays some Banks too. Bet what you want, and I didn't stutter.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
jay helfert said:
This is the same guy who came upstairs looking for me to play some Banks with, this year at DCC. He was with Incardona who did all the talking for him. Billy say you want to play some Banks with Artie. I said sure, right now. He says to Artie get your cue. I ask him what the bet is. Billy says fifty a game short rack. Not five hundred, not even one hundred but fifty a game. I say okay and we play.

I run three and out to win 5-2 and they quit! Yes they quit on me one game loser for $50. And you want to tell me what a high roller this guy is. PLEASE! Afterwards I felt like I had just played a lock artist. If he isn't certain he can win, he doesn't want to play. I'd be glad to play Artie some more Banks this year, but we have to freeze up a minimum 500 and play five ahead. That's only 100 a game.

Ghosty you and I can plays some Banks too. Bet what you want, and I didn't stutter.
Jay, there must be more to the story than that. Artie doesn't play banks. I don't think he ever did, and he's a self-admitted lousy banker. If Billy promoted the contest, then he was probably clocking YOUR speed with a cheap matchup. Maybe it only took one game to find out.

You know as well as anyone that Artie plays high. A lock artist, he's not. I've watched him in 4 matchups. His sessions are about even in terms of won/lost.

Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
gulfportdoc said:
Jay, there must be more to the story than that. Artie doesn't play banks. I don't think he ever did, and he's a self-admitted lousy banker. If Billy promoted the contest, then he was probably clocking YOUR speed with a cheap matchup. Maybe it only took one game to find out.

You know as well as anyone that Artie plays high. A lock artist, he's not. I've watched him in 4 matchups. His sessions are about even in terms of won/lost.

Doc

Doc, you have everything right except the clocking of Jay's speed, it was to see Arties speed, which wasn't very impressive. Jay tried to give the game to Artie, but Artie refused to take it. After Jay realized that Artie wasn't a threat to win,:cool: he ran 3 and out.:D

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
wincardona said:
Doc, you have everything right except the clocking of Jay's speed, it was to see Arties speed, which wasn't very impressive. Jay tried to give the game to Artie, but Artie refused to take it. After Jay realized that Artie wasn't a threat to win,:cool: he ran 3 and out.:D
All-righty, I knew there had to be something going on...:cool:

Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
jay helfert said:

Ghosty you and I can play some Banks too. Bet what you want, and I didn't stutter.

Jay you and I can play some One Pocket. Bet what you want, and I didn't stutter...:)

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Ghost said:
Jay you and I can play some One Pocket. Bet what you want, and I didn't stutter...:)

Ghosty, You or Jay, or Artie, or Billy, can play some golf, or one pocket, on a 6 X 12, and bet what you want...and I didn't stutter either...:eek:

(and, as long as we get to pick "pet" games...(and bet enough $$$)...I will pay for limo transportation to the nearest 6 X 12..;))

PS..Not even sure if I can still identify which ball I'm shooting at anymore, at 12 feet...There has not even been a 6X12 here in Phx. for over 6 yrs. now.
How am I supposed to practice ('til my eyes bleed) like Dennis wants me to ? And, why do I feel like Mr.3C, trying to find a cash billiard game ???..:cool:

Last edited:

jay helfert

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:

I played you One Pocket three times or did you forget? Now how about some Banks? Or better yet, I'll play you one set of each, How fair is that?

jay helfert

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Ghosty, You and Jay can play some golf, on a 6 X 12, and bet what you want...and I didn't stutter either...:eek:

I can't reach the table on a 6x12 Dickie Do. But I will play Pay Ball on a 5x10 snooker table. Just like you I'm coming out of retirement to make my last stand. One more old horse fighting till his last breath. Hey Dick I was NEVER a famous pool hustler like you. I had to toil away in the shadows playing in small rooms and out of the way bars to make my living. You were high profile, you were a NAME! I was a nobody. :confused:

jay helfert

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:

You beat me three times already. It's time to adjust. Give me 8-7 and name the bet! Or let's play one set of each.