Teaching

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
There are alot of great bankers in the town I live in now, and I see alot of folks starting to play one pocket. While I am no champion, I consider myself a student of the game and play okay.

I got caught up in a doubles game of one pocket and was amazed at the wrong shots, wrong speed, etc. played. The girl I was partnered with, I told her that speed is critical in one pocket, ie pocket speed. She would look at me and say "Sorry" when she hung a ball in the pocket and not make it. I explained I was tickled to death.

As far as importance this is how I see it.

1.) Strategy (knowledge)
2.) Shot selection
3.) Speed (ball speed)
4.) Pocketing skill

Any thoughts?

Ken

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I'm always amazed how many really good 9 ball players I play 1p with that I can beat or break even with.

I would say that your list is accurate.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Ken_4fun said:
There are alot of great bankers in the town I live in now, and I see alot of folks starting to play one pocket. While I am no champion, I consider myself a student of the game and play okay.

I got caught up in a doubles game of one pocket and was amazed at the wrong shots, wrong speed, etc. played. The girl I was partnered with, I told her that speed is critical in one pocket, ie pocket speed. She would look at me and say "Sorry" when she hung a ball in the pocket and not make it. I explained I was tickled to death.

As far as importance this is how I see it.

1.) Strategy (knowledge)
2.) Shot selection
3.) Speed (ball speed)
4.) Pocketing skill

Any thoughts?

Ken
to use your line above
While I am no champion, I consider myself a student of the game and play okay.
my thoughts
the topic of the thread is teaching
so if you are trying to teach one pocket
i think 1 &2 go together
your shot selection will go in line with your strategy
although with experience you will "see" more shot options to carry out your strategy
i think the MOST important thing in one pocket is cue ball control

ball speed and pocketing skills are important but where you leave whitey is always a priority
imho
icbw

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
lll said:
to use your line above
While I am no champion, I consider myself a student of the game and play okay.
my thoughts
the topic of the thread is teaching
so if you are trying to teach one pocket
i think 1 &2 go together
your shot selection will go in line with your strategy
although with experience you will "see" more shot options to carry out your strategy
i think the MOST important thing in one pocket is cue ball control

ball speed and pocketing skills are important but where you leave whitey is always a priority
imho
icbw

Larry beat me to this comment. Whitie gets top priority. The principal of giving whitie priority in every shot consideration will simplify the whole approach to the game.