Buddy vs. JJ cont'd...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Here is the layout JJ left Buddy: ~Doc

Hall-Jones 5.jpg

No one guessed what Buddy chose, so here it is. Since he had to hit the 1 ball fuller than he'd have liked, he had to stroke it perfectly through the 1, over to the side rail, and back frozen to the 4:

Hall-Jones 6.jpg

Now Jeremy is in a tough spot. What are the best options?

Hall-Jones 7.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Here is the layout JJ left Buddy: ~Doc

View attachment 12686

No one guessed what Buddy chose, so here it is. Since he had to hit the 1 ball fuller than he'd have liked, he had to stroke it perfectly through the 1, over to the side rail, and back frozen to the 4:

View attachment 12687

Now Jeremy is in a tough spot. What are the best options?

View attachment 12688
From the picture it doesn't look like Buddy could see the 1ball enough to play the shot he did, I was trying to figure a way to position the cue ball where Buddy did but couldn't figure out how to do it..of course he shot the right shot and executed it to near perfection.

Jeremy has a couple of returns, if available he will simply play off the 6ball and drop under the 14ball off the side rail. Another option would be to elevate and draw off the 8ball sending the cue ball to the side rail in back of the 13ball. This option needs to be executed with caution, you don't want to over draw the shot and sell out, all that's needed is placing the cue ball in back of the 13ball protecting the 14ball on your side rail with the 13..6..and 7ball.

Dr. Bill

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Right you are, Bill. Someone finally gets a cookie! JJ did draw off the 8, leaving Buddy safe, but not in a real bad position:

Hall-Jones 8.jpg

From here, Buddy puts a real strong leave on JJ. What do y'all think he did?~Doc

Hall-Jones 9.jpg

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Buddy vs. JJ cont'd...

Right you are, Bill. Someone finally gets a cookie! JJ did draw off the 8, leaving Buddy safe, but not in a real bad position:

View attachment 12692

From here, Buddy puts a real strong leave on JJ. What do y'all think he did?~Doc

View attachment 12693

Banked the 7 into the 14 and drew behind that (4?) ball on the short rail. 14 comes back and knocks the 6 by his hole. That's my shot, anyway. :)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Good reply, Mitch. But Buddy went thin off the 2 ball and locked up the CB behind the 1-9. I'm not going to take the time to illustrate it, since there's evidently little interest in this thread. Buddy went on to win the match 5-4, after being behind 3-0 to Jeremy!

I believe I'll wait until we have a WWYD dry spell to post any. Perhaps there will be renewed interest at that time.:)

~Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Good reply, Mitch. But Buddy went thin off the 2 ball and locked up the CB behind the 1-9. I'm not going to take the time to illustrate it, since there's evidently little interest in this thread. Buddy went on to win the match 5-4, after being behind 3-0 to Jeremy!

I believe I'll wait until we have a WWYD dry spell to post any. Perhaps there will be renewed interest at that time.:)

~Doc

Wait!! Playing off the 8ball could be costly because of the position of the 13ball, the 13ball could hurt you in a couple of ways, i'll explain. If you try to place the cue ball under the 4ball in some way and allow your opponent to see the 13ball he will simply play off the 13ball and put you under the 10ball, I know you wouldn't like to end up there.

Lets say you play off the 8ball sending it into the 14ball and try to climb the side rail with the cue ball, you must climb high enough on the side rail to not give up a bank on the 13ball and control the 14ball as well. That is not an easy thing to do.

Budddy's option is easy to execute and it also provides excellent cover for the balls that are positioned on his side of the table, good choice.

Remember, don't jump at the first move that comes to your mind look around for options before making a decision in all situations where a mistake could be made, like here for example. You do that by saying to yourself..If I could pick up the cue ball and place it anywhere where would I place it? (within reason) After yo figure out the better places for the cue ball then you look for a shot that would allow you to do that, preferably one that would create pressure for your opponent in some way.

In this situation there are three reasonable places to position the cue ball that would be productive.
#1. Under the 4ball bottom rail.
#2. High on the side rail by the 7ball. (by moving the 14ball)
#3. Behind the 1ball and 9ball

Weigh up your options by figuring out which option would be the most productive and the safest, but you must always factor in the degree of difficulty in the execution of the options.

Dr. Bill

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Buddy vs. JJ cont'd...

Wait!! Playing off the 8ball could be costly because of the position of the 13ball, the 13ball could hurt you in a couple of ways, i'll explain. If you try to place the cue ball under the 4ball in some way and allow your opponent to see the 13ball he will simply play off the 13ball and put you under the 10ball, I know you wouldn't like to end up there.

Lets say you play off the 8ball sending it into the 14ball and try to climb the side rail with the cue ball, you must climb high enough on the side rail to not give up a bank on the 13ball and control the 14ball as well. That is not an easy thing to do.

Budddy's option is easy to execute and it also provides excellent cover for the balls that are positioned on his side of the table, good choice.

Remember, don't jump at the first move that comes to your mind look around for options before making a decision in all situations where a mistake could be made, like here for example. You do that by saying to yourself..If I could pick up the cue ball and place it anywhere where would I place it? (within reason) After yo figure out the better places for the cue ball then you look for a shot that would allow you to do that, preferably one that would create pressure for your opponent in some way.

In this situation there are three reasonable places to position the cue ball that would be productive.

Weigh up your options by figuring out which option would be the most productive and the safest, but you must always factor in the degree of difficulty in the execution of the options.

Dr. Bill

Who asked you 😜.

Jk. 😉

Very astute and logical post on how to think about options Dr. I did make that exact mistake while playing yesterday (not getting all the way behind a ball on the short rail). I will take this to heart. Thanks as always for the advice, even if it hurt my ego lol. Oh well.... You know what they say.... "You can't save your face and your ass at the same time."

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

Dr. Bill
good advice dr. bill

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Lets say you play off the 8ball sending it into the 14ball and try to climb the side rail with the cue ball, you must climb high enough on the side rail to not give up a bank on the 13ball and control the 14ball as well. That is not an easy thing to do. ...
Bill, to which picture layout are you referring? The 1st picture in post #4, or the 2nd?

Otherwise, good advice. I think.;)

~Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Bill, to which picture layout are you referring? The 1st picture in post #4, or the 2nd?

Otherwise, good advice. I think.;)

~Doc

It's the second picture Art, i'm surprised you couldn't figure it out by my description of the path with the cue ball. I see you need some private tutoring.:heh

I'm a lot cheaper than Artie, he charges $500 an hour, i'll take a cup of coffee and your undivided attention.:D

Dr. Bill

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It's the second picture Art, i'm surprised you couldn't figure it out by my description of the path with the cue ball. I see you need some private tutoring.:heh

I'm a lot cheaper than Artie, he charges $500 an hour, i'll take a cup of coffee and your undivided attention.:D Dr. Bill
Oh I could figure it out, alright. But the writing was so unclear that I wanted to make sure everyone else knew to which layout you were referring.;)

I'll think about the tutoring, although your best move is the intentional safety. But as far as the cost, I've seen you drink coffee before.....:p

~Doc