Some revelations in Houston

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
1. If you are going to drink, that's fine, but don't play 100 a game 14 hours after arriving at the pool hall.

2. Get in shape, most of the private tournaments don't start till 8 or 9 at night, don't think you can just keep going till 3 or 4 in the morning every day. Then back to the pool hall at 9 or 10.

3. Stop giving up weight...Even if you think you can, you probably can get the game even for less money per game.

4. Spend some quality time making straight in shots with authority to move the cue...amazing how many shots of this type are missed by you and your opponent. Cheating the pocket is not an option if you are going to hit the ball above medium speed...I probably missed 20 of these shots...

5. Just because you have made this bank a thousand times doesn't automatically mean you are going to make it this time...take a second and look at the angle again...

6. Don't allow negative thoughts...if you think about the scratch while you are about to execute...you will scratch...get back up...look at the path of the cue, and if you can move the path to avoid then do it...don't just fire at it...

7. Stop trying to force position...take the two balls, or one and lock your opponent up...every time I tried to get to the next ball with a hard position shot, I missed the object ball and sold out...

8. Control your emotions...if you beat yourself up after a miss, your opponent can use that to beat you...stay calm...relax, enjoy the game, it is so much easier being calm at the table, and it seems as though for me my concentration peaks at these times...

I realize most on this website already know most of these nuggets...however...since retiring 2 years ago I have really worked hard to improve my game and attitude...the above list is what I see about my game that needs improvement...

Some of these are self realization of things I need to fix...some are from the rail while I was playing, but all will be worked on prior to Derby...

B

PS This does not mean I won't have a Jack and Coke anymore...just means I will have one or two instead of 15 before we play...LOL

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Some revelations in Houston

Love this post, Bille. Very nice! Number 7 is especially strong for me. I can't tell you how many times I have tried to force "one more ball" into my run instead of locking down the cue when I had the chance, and giving up my advantage. Well done my friend.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
1. If you are going to drink, that's fine, but don't play 100 a game 14 hours after arriving at the pool hall.

2. Get in shape, most of the private tournaments don't start till 8 or 9 at night, don't think you can just keep going till 3 or 4 in the morning every day. Then back to the pool hall at 9 or 10.

3. Stop giving up weight...Even if you think you can, you probably can get the game even for less money per game.

4. Spend some quality time making straight in shots with authority to move the cue...amazing how many shots of this type are missed by you and your opponent. Cheating the pocket is not an option if you are going to hit the ball above medium speed...I probably missed 20 of these shots...

5. Just because you have made this bank a thousand times doesn't automatically mean you are going to make it this time...take a second and look at the angle again...

6. Don't allow negative thoughts...if you think about the scratch while you are about to execute...you will scratch...get back up...look at the path of the cue, and if you can move the path to avoid then do it...don't just fire at it...

7. Stop trying to force position...take the two balls, or one and lock your opponent up...every time I tried to get to the next ball with a hard position shot, I missed the object ball and sold out...

8. Control your emotions...if you beat yourself up after a miss, your opponent can use that to beat you...stay calm...relax, enjoy the game, it is so much easier being calm at the table, and it seems as though for me my concentration peaks at these times...

I realize most on this website already know most of these nuggets...however...since retiring 2 years ago I have really worked hard to improve my game and attitude...the above list is what I see about my game that needs improvement...

Some of these are self realization of things I need to fix...some are from the rail while I was playing, but all will be worked on prior to Derby...

B

PS This does not mean I won't have a Jack and Coke anymore...just means I will have one or two instead of 15 before we play...LOL

Bille, your game has improved remarkably in the few years I have known you. You, like me, want to play so bad you will take a little the worst of it to get to the table. My whole pool playing life the players knew I did not drive to the pool room to sit in the chair, and would do something, even if I had a bad game. I have not changed much in 60 years of playing, but I shake the losses off and come back for more, and do book some winners here and there.

We are winners because we get to play the game we love and keep trying to get better. You have to challenge yourself to keep getting better, and you sure do that.:D

Keep on keeping on, you are on the right path.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Bille
Great insight, all true !

#6 I once argued with that little a$$hole in my head telling me what would happen, he was right so often I finally gave in and begin to listen to the little pain in the rear.

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
shaking off loses

shaking off loses

I do know that the new trucks steering wheel can take a lot more abuse than my hand can...I bruised the hell out of the heel of my hand driving back to the camper on sunday night...

B

JoeyA

Verified Member
From
Metairie, LA
Bille,
You're seeing things more clearly, the older you get. :)

Good post. Sorry I missed the event.

JoeyA

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Hey Billie, I think after reading your post that there are probably quite a few of us that need to work on most of those items too so don't feel bad, at least I know I do (6 and 8 are the ones that stand out the most to me).

Good post!

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
old army leadership trait

old army leadership trait

Know yourself and seek self improvement...why I haven't put this to use before I have no idea...probably brain damage...who knows...lol

B

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
you dont get older you get wiser...
seems true for you bille...:)
excellent insight and advice

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

B

Billie, you do know where you go wrong and I totally agree with every thing yu mentioned, now if only you can convince your self of what you know then you will be on the path of improvement.

Playing the game we love is reward enough to continue to do what we do regardless of how we do it. But you are spot on with your analysis, stay with it.

Dr. Bill

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Know yourself and seek self improvement...why I haven't put this to use before I have no idea...probably brain damage...who knows...lol

B

Weren't you a chopper pilot? Those guys are all nuts anyway...:) :D

Feed your passion Bille, play often and always try to play tough competition whenever you can, you will have to stay in the moment and keep your concentration to win at these games, but that's the fast track to becoming a better player... Test your medal as often as you can...

I like your self analysis list, keep it handy and add to it when you spot something else in your game that needs work... Don't wait, add it right then, like Grady used to do...:) he'd stop the game and pull out that little book he carried and scribble down something in it...:D Keeping that list is a good way to build a solid foundation, and that will lead to a better overall game...

You have a much higher ceiling Bille and because it's fueled by a strong passion to learn and improve, you will become a much better player...

Enjoyed your company in Houston Bille, nice post...:)

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Thanks guys...Yes Jeff, I flew attack helicopters for 30 years...Mostly in the cavalry...the wgcp stands for worlds greatest cobra pilot...lol
nothing like a little humility...

B

1 HOLE NUT

Verified Member
From
Biloxi, Ms.
Feed your passion Bille, play often and always try to play tough competition whenever you can, you will have to stay in the moment and keep your concentration to win at these games, but that's the fast track to becoming a better player... Test your medal as often as you

Again this is something I have told Bille more times than I can count, ONE DAY he will understand.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Weren't you a chopper pilot? Those guys are all nuts anyway...:) :D
You've gotten to the essence of Col. Bille. Sumbich used to fly at 200 MPH while only 1 foot off the ground.:eek: He hovered over my house one day at 100 feet, rocking that chopper from side to side like a teeter-totter.:D And that's why he's so wuvable...:)

~Doc

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Thanks guys...Yes Jeff, I flew attack helicopters for 30 years...Mostly in the cavalry...the wgcp stands for worlds greatest cobra pilot...lol
nothing like a little humility...

B

lol....i always wondered about your handle.....
:)

(sounds like you are hitten em pretty salty)

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.

B

Good bits of advice. I see some nuggets in there i'm working on.
Hey, me and Bobby were Crappie fishing today and talked about going to Memphis next weekend. He wanted to know if you were still thinking about coming up there.