Galveston classic - what happened?

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Unoperro brought this this tournament up in another thread.
I've always wondered what the story here was.
This tournament happened right before I even knew about the game. Watching the matches from this event is kinda what set the hook for me.
It's really sad to think that I could've had this monumental annual event nearby, so just wondering what went wrong with this one.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I was there, and so was Henderson and maybe a few others here. Ghost, Cardone, Rod, Artie, etc.

It was a magnificent event. First Class all the way. Had oodles of tables --pool, bar boxes, and even some 3C tables-- for the events at a 4 star hotel in Galveston.

My guess is that the guy spent too much dough, thinking it would develop the way that the DCC has, but since he didn't recoup enough, he couldn't pull the trigger on a second year. I may be all wet on this. Probably Rod and some of the others know the skinny.

~Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Unoperro brought this this tournament up in another thread.
I've always wondered what the story here was.
This tournament happened right before I even knew about the game. Watching the matches from this event is kinda what set the hook for me.
It's really sad to think that I could've had this monumental annual event nearby, so just wondering what went wrong with this one.

They had all the Filipino champions there and were expecting a huge turnout from the local Filipino community that did not happen. They had quite a bit of grandstand seating that was near empty most of the time. Probably not the only reason but part of the problem.

Too bad because it was a great event that pretty much only drew the players.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Yeah, to me it would have been a perfect alternative to the DCC: near a major city, great venue, and always good weather! But some things just don't pan out...

~Doc

rich htx

Verified Member
From
Houston TX
Yeah, to me it would have been a perfect alternative to the DCC: near a major city, great venue, and always good weather! But some things just don't pan out...

~Doc

How many times did they hold it just once?
I don't even remember hearing a peep about the event

Did he expect it to get massive in one attempt?

That's not very practical if so

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

~Doc

They had more top players, men and women, than any tournament except DCC and it still did not work when it came to drawing a crowd.

Most of us pool affectionados would rather play than watch and IMO it will never become a popular spectator sport.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
They had more top players, men and women, than any tournament except DCC and it still did not work when it came to drawing a crowd.

Most of us pool affectionados would rather play than watch and IMO it will never become a popular spectator sport.

They also had bigger (albeit irrelevant) sponsors. I think I remember Ashley Furniture being involved.

I wonder if a prominent alcohol sponsor could do any good for the sport?

~Doc

Always? Doc, you're a sick man if you enjoy this weather...
I curse myself for living here come every May.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member

I agree, even when there is a big match up in the pool room, people will sit around and gab , but they aren't really watching..... and it's free.

rich htx

Verified Member
From
Houston TX

It's primarily a current American culture issue I feel
Pool in America has become a rotten toxic wasteland of a culture in large part

I like to watch as much as I do play
Europe has huge Carom and snooker events
Asia as well