Ochoa-Frost 2010 DCC finals

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Frost leads 2-1 in games. No score yet in this rack. Frost has put Ochoa in trouble on the rail. How does he get out of it? What would YOU do?? ~Doc

Ochoa-Frost 2.jpg
Ochoa-Frost 1.jpg

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
I like kicking very gently from side rail into what appears to be a the 7 ball on the foot rail. Not much can go wrong here unless your speed is way off.

Martin

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Yep, just be careful of the kiss on the three after it comes off the rail. Scratch not so much of an issue if you hit it fairly well.

I saw that and I'd be a little concerned that the 3 would hit the 8 too thin and put the kiss in play. But it looks like you can hit the 3 a hair left of straight on, have a good cue ball line, and avoid the kiss. I could be wrong, though.

beatle

Verified Member
nothing looks good here and with that layout it looks worse. so maybe shoot the stripe in and run out or miss and lose the game right here.

or role the cue into the pack

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I kinda like shooting into that 9. It looks like it may be lined up to skip off the top of that 15 and right onto my side rail. The high ball will help it come a little shorter. It may not lay like that, but i still like bumping that 9, and follow the cb forward a little. The reason I like this shot is because that 3-8 will really clog up his hole if left there, so I would not want to hit that. He may have to though. It really is tough to get a feel for these shots on a screen and not having any idea what the table plays like. But anyway :)

Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
I like kicking very gently from side rail into what appears to be a the 7 ball on the foot rail. Not much can go wrong here unless your speed is way off.

Martin

This is the shot I would shoot.

Behind 2 games and in a very difficult position you cannot afford to take any chances.

Bill S.

stedyfred

Verified Member
Also in this match during a wedge game Scott illustrates the use of rails to control cue ball speed enabling him to put Ochoa on or very close to foot rail on several occasions. Another subtle sign of a one pocket CHAMPION, Scott the Freezer Frost.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
This is the shot I would shoot.

Behind 2 games and in a very difficult position you cannot afford to take any chances.

Bill S.
I also agree that kicking at the 7ball is the best shot from this position, i'll explain. The score of the match has nothing to do with choosing the correct shot to win a game with. You always should play the best shot to win the game you're playing and forget about every thing else, every thing.

Kicking at the 7ball is the safest shot from this position, by far. In this position you can take a chance and play off the 3ball like most players agree, however, that shot carries problems like beating the possible kiss with the 3ball, or possibly scratching in the bottom pocket, or even selling out a return bank with the 3ball or another ball if the speed and direction with the cue ball is not precise. However, shooting off the 3ball is the most effective shot...IF HIT WELL but how often are you going to hit it that well?

By playing the "soft kick" into the 7ball you will get away from the daunting position you're in (shooting 8ft. away from your shot nearly frozen to the rail) this should be your priority in this situation because by shooting off the 3ball you will open up the table for your opponent and that could be fatal if the shot is not hit well. Like Tyler said in an earlier post the 3ball and 8ball clog your opponents side, so why move them? I agree. Furthermore, you can always shoot off the 3ball at a later time, if and when you find yourself positioned up table again, and chances are that you'll be in a much better position to hit the shot well the next time you're challenged with the shot. trust me, you're going to need it.;)

By the way, by soft kicking the 7ball you can also tie up the 7ball...that's not too bad either.
Dr. Bill

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I also agree that kicking at the 7ball is the best shot from this position, i'll explain. The score of the match has nothing to do with choosing the correct shot to win a game with. You always should play the best shot to win the game you're playing and forget about every thing else, every thing.

Kicking at the 7ball is the safest shot from this position, by far. In this position you can take a chance and play off the 3ball like most players agree, however, that shot carries problems like beating the possible kiss with the 3ball, or possibly scratching in the bottom pocket, or even selling out a return bank with the 3ball or another ball if the speed and direction with the cue ball is not precise. However, shooting off the 3ball is the most effective shot...IF HIT WELL but how often are you going to hit it that well?

By playing the "soft kick" into the 7ball you will get away from the daunting position you're in (shooting 8ft. away from your shot nearly frozen to the rail) this should be your priority in this situation because by shooting off the 3ball you will open up the table for your opponent and that could be fatal if the shot is not hit well. Like Tyler said in an earlier post the 3ball and 8ball clog your opponents side, so why move them? I agree. Furthermore, you can always shoot off the 3ball at a later time, if and when you find yourself positioned up table again, and chances are that you'll be in a much better position to hit the shot well the next time you're challenged with the shot. trust me, you're going to need it.;)

By the way, by soft kicking the 7ball you can also tie up the 7ball...that's not too bad either.
Dr. Bill

survey says.... WRONG ANSWER:sorry

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

Dr. Bill

Shooting the 7 leaves several open shots and doesn't improve your position.