S. Daulton vs. S. Frost 2014 D.C.C.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Im coming off the bottom rail with spin and speed for the combo to pocket the stripe. This should leave the two for the next shot and out. When you gotta go, you gotta go.:eek:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
try to get another in play and hide whitey. :)
Rod.
P.S. Hope nothing bad happens with the 5 ball

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 0

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
there must be some brilliant shit i can't see here.....

pocket the spotted ball.

bear down and cinch it. you decide if you want to make it, so decide to make it and do it. go from there at a statistical advantage to win the game.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I knew I'd seen this layout before - I sweated this from the balcony. I felt like Shannon had a chance to get Efren in the match after this but made a couple fatal flaws (like jacking up on a tough shot and missing it). Interestingly, I was sitting with John Schmidt and Johnny Archer, and listening to Johnny's shot selections it was readily apparent he is not a competent one pocket practitioner. (He does, however, have the prettiest break in the history of mankind.)

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
I knew I'd seen this layout before - I sweated this from the balcony. I felt like Shannon had a chance to get Efren in the match after this but made a couple fatal flaws (like jacking up on a tough shot and missing it). Interestingly, I was sitting with John Schmidt and Johnny Archer, and listening to Johnny's shot selections it was readily apparent he is not a competent one pocket practitioner. (He does, however, have the prettiest break in the history of mankind.)

why doesn't johnny archer play one pocket.......?

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Rod.
Your shot is an option that most experienced players would choose, imo. However, shooting the spotted ball for a player like Daulton imo would also be a good choice. It's possible that he can pocket the spotted ball and send the cue ball possibly behind the 4ball and get that ball and possibly another one as well. Improbable but possible. Another reason I consider that an option is because of the difficulty Frost will have in "feeding" off of a Daulton miss

Bill Incardona

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
there must be some brilliant shit i can't see here.....

pocket the spotted ball.

bear down and cinch it. you decide if you want to make it, so decide to make it and do it. go from there at a statistical advantage to win the game.

Dustin,

The thing about shooting the spotted ball is this; If you roll it you leave the cueball down there for a bank if you miss. If you stroke it you lower your chances of making it and increase your chance of selling out a shot if you miss it. Nothing wrong with shooting it unless you find something better:).

Dennis

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Your shot is an option that most experienced players would choose, imo. However, shooting the spotted ball for a player like Daulton imo would also be a good choice. It's possible that he can pocket the spotted ball and send the cue ball possibly behind the 4ball and get that ball and possibly another one as well. Improbable but possible. Another reason I consider that an option is because of the difficulty Frost will have in "feeding" off of a Daulton miss

Bill Incardona

I do understand what you're saying. The question was what would I do. If I shot the ball on the spot and missed, it'd be a coin flip whether it goes over to Frost's side or not.
Rod.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
The question was what would I do. If I shot the ball on the spot and missed, it'd be a coin flip whether it goes over to Frost's side or not.
It would be very helpful to see answers to these WWYD questions for various skill levels, such as "Efren would do X, but Joe Banger should do Y because..".

I know it's already done that way to some extent, but I'd like to see it become more the norm - pointing out where the top of the ladder is while also pointing out some lower rungs for us mortals to reach for.

pj
chgo

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I do understand what you're saying. The question was what would I do. If I shot the ball on the spot and missed, it'd be a coin flip whether it goes over to Frost's side or not.
Rod.

Rodney, I agree with every thing you say, I myself would shoot your choice. I was referring to a player like Daulton (top player) when I said that shooting the spotted ball wasn't a bad choice..

I actually agree with most every thing you say, and not just about playing one pocket, which I feel you know.

Bill Incardona

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Rod.

rod since you (shannon) has a 4-2 lead
why would you "try to get a ball in play "and you are probably going to make the 5 ball so now you have the stripe in play and 2 balls on the spot......:confused:
i know im missing something basic because billy also liked your shot
i would look at one of these 2 shots
sf2.jpg
or
trying to leave the cue on the rail making the straight back that much more difficult
(edit to say i dont think i want to leave frost a shot so this is probably not a good option)

sf1.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
rod since you (shannon) has a 4-2 lead
why would you "try to get a ball in play "and you are probably going to make the 5 ball so now you have the stripe in play and 2 balls on the spot......:confused:
i know im missing something basic because billy also liked your shot
i would look at one of these 2 shots
View attachment 10205
or
trying to leave the cue on the rail making the straight back that much more difficult
(edit to say i dont think i want to leave frost a shot so this is probably not a good option)

View attachment 10206
Larry, i'm on line so i'll answer your question to Rod and later Rod can add what ever he chooses.

Leading 4 to 2 is not a large enough lead in a race to 8 balls not to keep playing some what aggressively. You're actually in a battle with all the positions you're in playing one pocket, and if you can figure out the best way to win these battles you can eventually win the war.

Take this situation as an example. Considering on how the balls are positioned (most balls out of play) the shot Rod suggested will start a battle for just the three balls that will end up down table
The two balls on the spot and the 15ball. Plus the 15ball will be on your side of the table and possibly close or maybe even in your pocket:D In addition to that if you can position the cue ball under the 12ball and use the 12ball as a blocker then your position is protected and more threatening. But keep in mind that the battle your forcing is ..just for three balls..not for the game because most other balls are out of play.

When playing one pocket, or most other games, it is an advantage for the player with the lead to play for battles that put smaller rewards and consequences at stake. Playing this strategy will give the player with the lead a better chance of winning the war, simply because he will be faced less often with "do or die" situations

In this situation the player with the lead can afford to play a battle with just three balls, and most likely a position that figures to be a superior one at that. Rod's shot will keep him in control of the position much to his liking.:D

In regard to your safety play with the spotted ball, to me it's too conservative. I say this because of the position of the other balls (mostly out of play) It's not totally wrong, but something I would find hard to do. Also your other option with positioning the cue ball under the 3ball will possibly put your opponent in a similar position that you are in now, only he will be the one that has control of the position and possibly play the 2ball off the 10ball and reverse a strong move that you could have had and use it against you.:eek:

Bill Incardona

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
S. Daulton vs. S. Frost 2014 D.C.C.

Carom the 12 off the 4 down to my hole. If I hit the correct carom angle, the 4 should not come back across and sell out. Draw back just a bit.