The good old DCC - at the Executive West - WSID?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Well, since I'm having to miss my second DCC in a row :frus after going to 17 of them, I guess I'll just have to console myself with a bottle of Rebel Yell, and old pics and memories...:(...

Here's a pic from when the DCC was great - at the Executive West, $65 a night :cool: - with action rooms on the first and second floors, about 15 tables in all, the way it should be :mad:...

This pic was taken in the main tournament room...it's a pic from about 7 years ago of me playing some guy named Al Hopkins (this guy won't shoot at his hole :p)...score is 1-1 in games, ball score is 6-6 in this game...my shot, my pocket is at the bottom right --- the cueball's up against the outside of the 14ball --- what should I do?...:eek:...:D

- The stuck at home Ghost

Attachments

• Playing Hopkins.jpg
    Playing Hopkins.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Mr. Ghost, Howdy;

If Mr. Hopkins won't shoot at his hole .... how is it the score is 1-1 and 6-6 ??? :rolleyes:

you doin' his work for him?

hank

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I like the old venue better than the new. Here's a couple of suckers from 2007(?)

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Well, since I'm having to miss my second DCC in a row :frus after going to 17 of them, I guess I'll just have to console myself with a bottle of Rebel Yell, and old pics and memories...:(...

Here's a pic from when the DCC was great - at the Executive West, $65 a night :cool: - with action rooms on the first and second floors, about 15 tables in all, the way it should be :mad:...

This pic was taken in the main tournament room...it's a pic from about 7 years ago of me playing some guy named Al Hopkins (this guy won't shoot at his hole :p)...score is 1-1 in games, ball score is 6-6 in this game...my shot, my pocket is at the bottom right --- the cueball's up against the outside of the 14ball --- what should I do?...:eek:...:D

Very few can out slow Mr. Hopkins, but by the look of him he has lost his interest. hehe

Shortstop

Verified Member
From
Chisqztown
Exec was the best!!

Exec was the best!!

I remember sweating that match & watching Bruce....He was not to happy at first,getting another of his consecutive years "Bad Draws:eek:)...Hopkins does frustrate most players!

I went to the Derby at Executive West from 2004,till its demise:(...A great venue & $65 rooms.....Plus they also had a major 3-cushion tournament at their sister hotel across the street at their sister hotel,at the same time,which I enjoyed!

I will be attending this year...Just for the Action & the Banks...Leaving on Monday....Looking forward to seeing you all!!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Bummer that you aren't going to make it this year Ghost! You and I met the first year I went -- I think maybe 2004.

We had the One Pocket HOF dinner at the Executive East for several years -- across the street -- it was a really nice room for it, but that building is totally and long gone. I guess the West got renovated after the DCC moved over to the Horseshoe.

It sure was a heck of a lot closer from the hotel to the action and tournament rooms than it is now!!!

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Bummer that you aren't going to make it this year Ghost! You and I met the first year I went -- I think maybe 2004.

We had the One Pocket HOF dinner at the Executive East for several years -- across the street -- it was a really nice room for it, but that building is totally and long gone. I guess the West got renovated after the DCC moved over to the Horseshoe.

It sure was a heck of a lot closer from the hotel to the action and tournament rooms than it is now!!!

Yep, I remember exactly...Riva and I were sitting in the main tourney room sweating a match and you came walking by with a DCC poster in your hand and sat down next to us..and then we struck up a conversation...:)

- Ghost

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN

At least you get to take some easy money from me next week when I am in town!!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Sorry to hear Ghost, we will miss you! I attended the (2nd ever?) DCC when it was at the old place and it was nice I must say!

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Hopkins looked like he wasn't doing anything , but you didn't get many shots and when you did, it usually had a grenade attached to it.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

It was getting late in the banks and I have an 11am match. I stayed with friends that year and saw them once in ten days. This kid I played could drill straight backs but that was all. I was up two games to zero. I broke and ran out and two people clapped. Two of his friends who were the only people watching our match. Meantime on the TV table they are yelling and screaming. Daulton and some guy name Truman were playing. Daulton was up 2-0 when Truman ran 13 straight, tying the match 2-2. I went over after the match and ask Truman if he remembered going on the road in a red Corvair. He looked at me and said yes, it had been thirty years since his and mine first road trip. We came home broke but it was all worth it. My next bank match was with some guy Brumback, I buy back after that match. The venue with the seating where you could see just about any match comfortably. They also had book making type of betting. I won enough to pay for my trip and buy two Woody Woodworth cues. I went back to California and promptly broke my neck ending a lack luster career.:rolleyes: The food was typical southern venue, lots of fats and severely over cooked.