Unusuall position after the "break"

unoperro

Verified Member
I know some of you guys have sox older then me,have you ever been here after the break?
What is the % play? Guy miscued,coin marks his side. We play even.

Attachments

• 20180123_203205.jpg
    20180123_203205.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 0

sausage

Suspended
it's just a scratch. play it where it lies.... if the guy miscues on a one pocket break and misses the rack, raise the bet!

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Kick into the left side of the stack hard enough for the CB to carom uptable to the head rail.

pj
chgo

[EDIT: Changed "right side" to "left side". Doh!]

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
i am ashamed for you guys. just kick into the long rail to the stack with a little draw. you will open about 5 or 6 balls for your hole and none for him and send the cue ball up table on your side near the hole.
if you go a little high sometimes you might even make a ball for your self.

the only downside is if you leave him a dead ball or the rare time one kicks out.

its about like him spotting you the break with ball in hand.

youngstown

Verified Member
Unusuall position after the "break"

Kick into the right side of the stack hard enough for the CB to carom uptable to the head rail.

pj
chgo

Yes I’ve been there, and this is what I would do and have done. I’m not sure where exactly you want to aim, maybe between 3rd and 4th ball...I haven’t practiced it...yet.

MM

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Try to kick into the low side of the 8 using 6:20 draw and medium speed... Favor the low side of the 8 and just above the 1 ball with this boring type draw stroke so the cb will burrow into the stack and open up several balls to your side leaving nothing...

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I know some of you guys have sox older then me,have you ever been here after the break?
What is the % play? Guy miscued,coin marks his side. We play even.

Try to kick into the low side of the 8 using 6:20 draw and medium speed... Favor the low side of the 8 and just above the 1 ball with this boring type draw stroke so the cb will burrow into the stack and open up several balls to your side leaving nothing...

i think you want to kick on the other side of the stack and aim at the 2/3
icbw

unoperro

Verified Member
I shot the12 just hard enough to get it off the rail and past center on my side. Center ball as a sliding punch shot . Cue ball slid over 4" off the rail,even with the 3 ball.14 and 1 came out a little..11 moved 3 diamonds towards side pocket. Opponent really had nothing. I kick often but didn't like burying whitey or glancing and going uptable.

None of you detectives noticed this is a reverse image? Damned if I know how that happened.

beatle

Verified Member
what is a sliding punch shot. do you hit the ball with your knuckles or something while ice skating across the table.

where is Pat when we (I) need him?

unoperro

Verified Member
what is a sliding punch shot. do you hit the ball with your knuckles or something while ice skating across the table.

I hit it like a stun run thru,only I hit down on the cueball a little. I can hit harder but it bounces and loses some energy.
Since I fell and broke my ankle on the ice I will not be skating anywhere.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member

I don't know what "sliding punch" means, but we can tell from where the balls ended up (as OneDog described) how it must have been hit: medium-slow speed, near center (depending on ball/cloth condition) for stun-runthrough.

As with all shots, it's fully defined by the angle/spot/speed (ASS). Nothing else matters to the CB.

pj
chgo

unoperro

Verified Member
I don't know what "sliding punch" means, but we can tell from where the balls ended up (as OneDog described) how it must have been hit: medium-slow speed, near center (depending on ball/cloth condition) for stun-runthrough.

As with all shots, it's fully defined by the angle/spot/speed (ASS). Nothing else matters to the CB.

pj
chgo

If the cueball is bouncing it does matter.

beatle

Verified Member
you obviously hit your head on the ice when you fell. so please check with doctor larry or even doctor bill for advice on fixing your head.
if you asked me i would tell you to take two aspirin and masturbate. and then you will be fine.

good discussion you got going anyway my friend.

El Chapo

Verified Member
One of those old sliding punch shots got me broke back in 69, or was it 73?

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member

pj
chgo

If the cueball is bouncing it does matter.
Definitely - I’m only talking about the stroke that made it bounce. Dfiferent strokes for different effects, like your sliding punch, can all be described as different combinations of those three ingredients.

That doesn’t mean it’s simple or unimpressive - you still have to know what the perfect mix is for the precise effect needed, and be able to deliver it to the cue ball perfectly on demand.

It’s remarkable and counterintuitive to me that everything that happens on the table emanates from those three elemental tip/CB variables (angle/spot/speed), and all our years of learning and practice are to master them.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
i think you want to kick on the other side of the stack and aim at the 2/3
icbw

Oops...:confused: You are correct Larry...

Bottom side of the 2, using 6:35 on the cb.. medium speed..:)

And a sliding punch sounds like something a cage fighter or a hockey player might find useful also...

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
DCC 2018 one pocket

DCC 2018 one pocket

I saw a break miscue, where whitey laid on the side he was supposed to glance off, he designated the left corner, but the cue ball came up a couple diamonds. Alcano edged the corner ball, hit the foot rail and came out a little two railer, and had a dumfounded look after it stopped rolling. he exposed the upper left (as your racking) head ball. It was amusing for a bit. Three of the great pinoys were upstairs the consensus was, scratch play it where it lies. nice, RA gets 9-8 outta the gate :).