Aiming device - marking the table

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I was watching Frost's Power One Pocket this evening. In describing a shot he was getting ready to execute, he said he would often (or maybe he said "sometimes") wet the tip of a finger and mark the cloth on top of the rail as an intended resting place for a ball.

Ahem:

World Pool-Billiard Association

General rules, 6.17, Unsportsmanlike conduct:

...Unsportsmanlike conduct is any intentional behavior that brings disrepute to the sport or which disrupts or changes the game to the extent that it cannot be played fairly. It includes:

(a) distracting the opponent;
(b) changing the position of the balls in play other than by a shot;
(c) playing a shot by intentionally miscuing;
(d) continuing to play after a foul has been called or play has been suspended;
(e) practicing during a match;
(f) marking the table;
(g) delay of the game; and
(h) using equipment inappropriately

I've heard (but have found nothing in the rules to confirm it) that it's also illegal to place a piece of chalk on the rail as an aim point. Does anyone know about this?

Edit to add link: http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/the_rules_of_play

youngstown

Verified Member

I don't disagree, but....I think it would be hard to enforce where someone places a piece of chalk...

youngstown

Verified Member

Hey Mister. Mister. You mind moving that chalk...it bothers me.

(Other player twists it slightly)

beatle

Verified Member
i guess when playing for the cash i would be disqualified every time then.

and so would many of my opponents.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i think using a piece of chalk for an aim point is like marking the table
no different than the spit frost used

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I played Cliff a lot, I 1st noticed he'd walk around the head of the table chalking up and finally sit the chalk down and walk around the other end and look and then lag to the chalk to take an intentional.
I didn't say anything, after that I just followed him around and picked up the chalk.

I will also say that since I can't see the diamonds on the other end I'll usually put a ratty piece of chalk on the two on the head of the table.

Since I'm the only guy who uses the house chalk, they only get moved when my opponent is there shooting. :)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I'll usually put a ratty piece of chalk on the two on the head of the table.

You reminded me of a movie. Did you ever see My Name is Nobody?

"Nobody" was a good-natured, highly accomplished gunman and all-around tush hog -- but handsome and clean-cut (Terrence Hill) with a perpetual half-smile-- and there was an incident in a saloon where he ties up with a scrappy misfit cowboy who looked like his family had been deep, deep in the hills (think Deliverance ) for several generations. After the misfit smarts off a few times our hero hears enough and gets nose-to-nose with him and starts slapping him and drawing/reholstering/slapping/drawing/slapping, etc so fast it's obvious the camera had to have been sped up. Hilarious!

Anyway, after taking several seconds of this completely defenseless, Misfit says, "Chickennnn-sheeeiiiiiiiit!"

Two ratty pieces of chalk, indeed. :D

beatle

Verified Member
Did everyone see how that opponent tried to rattle M ichael phelps during rio.
Part of winning strategy can be psychological , even if your opponent doesn't want it to go that way. And then even more so.

Those that expect a game to be pure need to play in televised tournaments that have sponsers.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Did everyone see how that opponent tried to rattle M ichael phelps during rio.
Part of winning strategy can be psychological , even if your opponent doesn't want it to go that way. And then even more so.

Those that expect a game to be pure need to play in televised tournaments that have sponsers.

Need to is right.

I'm staying close to the phone. :p