A Mississippi Legend Has Passed

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
For years before Reed Pierce could pick up a cue, Ben Katz, was recognized as the greatest pool player to ever come out of the state of Miss. Yes, he got your humble $Bill. If Ben had not been really smart and become a tremendous success in business he could have been, like Reed, a potential US Open winner in both 9 ball and One Pocket.

Ben Sanders Katz, beloved husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather, and brother was born in Starkville, MS on March 3, 1938, the son of the late Ben Sanders and Mildred Stanley Katz.
He died Wednesday, January 13, 2010, in West Monroe, LA.
A graduate of Starkville (MS) High School and Mississippi State University, his professional career took him to many parts of North America and the Caribbean. Mr. Katz was a senior vice president of Amax Coal Company and president of Deposit Trust Bank.
Survivors include his wife of almost 54 years, Kay Kellogg Katz; son, Brit Katz; daughters Kelley Vance and Kris Coons (Dick); grandson, Trevor Reynolds (Jodi); great-granddaughter, Rylee Reynolds; brother, Robert O. Katz (Vicki); and uncles, aunts, and cousins.
Memorial services will be held at 10:30 A.M. Saturday, January 16, 2010, at the First Presbyterian Church in Monroe, LA with Dr. Allison Moody officiating under the direction of Mulhearn Funeral Home, Sterlington Road, Monroe, LA. Final resting place will be Friendship Cemetery, Columbus, MS.
Online registry/condolences may be offered to the family at www.mulhearnfuneralhome.com.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
My regrets to his family. He was a really talented and terrfic pool player, as good as any. Far better than most.
Rod.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
hemicudas said:
For years before Reed Pierce could pick up a cue, Ben Katz, was recognized as the greatest pool player to ever come out of the state of Miss. Yes, he got your humble $Bill. If Ben had not been really smart and become a tremendous success in business he could have been, like Reed, a potential US Open winner in both 9 ball and One Pocket.

Ben Sanders Katz, beloved husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather, and brother was born in Starkville, MS on March 3, 1938, the son of the late Ben Sanders and Mildred Stanley Katz.
He died Wednesday, January 13, 2010, in West Monroe, LA.
A graduate of Starkville (MS) High School and Mississippi State University, his professional career took him to many parts of North America and the Caribbean. Mr. Katz was a senior vice president of Amax Coal Company and president of Deposit Trust Bank.
Survivors include his wife of almost 54 years, Kay Kellogg Katz; son, Brit Katz; daughters Kelley Vance and Kris Coons (Dick); grandson, Trevor Reynolds (Jodi); great-granddaughter, Rylee Reynolds; brother, Robert O. Katz (Vicki); and uncles, aunts, and cousins.
Memorial services will be held at 10:30 A.M. Saturday, January 16, 2010, at the First Presbyterian Church in Monroe, LA with Dr. Allison Moody officiating under the direction of Mulhearn Funeral Home, Sterlington Road, Monroe, LA. Final resting place will be Friendship Cemetery, Columbus, MS.
Online registry/condolences may be offered to the family at www.mulhearnfuneralhome.com.
I went to school at Mississippi State for a while and spent a lot of time in Ben's poolroom. I would watch him practice and play and I couldn't believe anybody could play that good. Watching him got be interested in pool, and I've been playing ever since more or less. As a side note about 4 years later he and the school champion came to my home town. i can't remember his name but he had seen me around Bens place and hustled me to play. I told him I would play him some one-pocket and proceeded to bust him. The poolroom manager, Cecil Maxwell beat Ben playing 9-ball. Remembered his name. Richard Parish.

Last edited: