R. Martinez vs. H. Vickery 2000 D.C.C.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
If I were feeling comfortable with my control, I'd hit the 15 and draw back in against the 8. Otherwise, I'd probably just follow the 15 to about the second diamond on Martinez's side rail. Or I can try to get fancy and sell out. :confused:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Last edited:

oldspurguy

Verified Member
From
Beaumont, Texas
Looks like you could take a shot at the six one combo and still leave the cue ball pretty safe. If you make the combo, you've probably got shape on the 10, 7, or the other stripe on the bottom rail.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Dear BNDL Breath,

Nice of you to show us where the cue ball is...And why aren't the balls numbered ???..Is this 8-ball, or Banks ???...Comply with these SIMPLE requests, and I'll tell you what Beardo, would have shown Efren to do, AFTER he woke up..:rolleyes:..:D :D :p

Damn, did I forget to number the balls again???:eek:

Ducky's Ball #'s.jpg

Jimmy B

Verified Member

I would kiss this stripe off of that stripe and run out and follow over to the middle diamond

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

I would kiss this stripe off of that stripe and run out and follow over to the middle diamond

Damn, did I forget to number the balls again???

View attachment 5964

i like hitting the 43 ball and hiding behind the 33 and 69 ball
lots of balls favor me so im just protecting my position
jimmy B and i think alike (FOR THIS SHOT ONLY:)):eek:
as far as hitting that stripe
as i said id hide behind the 2 ball cluster
jimmy you understand im sure:)
rr1.jpg

just noticed ...:eek:....banks and rod mentioned this above

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
i like hitting the 43 ball and hiding behind the 33 and 69 ball
lots of balls favor me so im just protecting my position
jimmy B and i think alike (FOR THIS SHOT ONLY:)):eek:
as far as hitting that stripe
as i said id hide behind the 2 ball cluster
jimmy you understand im sure:)
View attachment 5965

Yes of course I understand. Your shot is probably better, now that I study it. Cut his options way down that way.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Looks like you could take a shot at the six one combo and still leave the cue ball pretty safe. If you make the combo, you've probably got shape on the 10, 7, or the other stripe on the bottom rail.

This is what i'd shoot too. I assume my opponent is going to do something very clever and well-executed to me his next shot when I am playing champs. That being said, when i get a shot at an almost straight in combo with a perfect path to at least leave him off a shot to his pocket, I feel I need to take it.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
To me the angle on the 6-1 combo looks a little shallow to naturally slide over to the other side of those balls -- it looks like to get there you would have to hit harder, and harder on a combo is bad news in One Pocket because you can easily send both balls over to your oppo's side if you miss hit. For that reason, I'd be looking at two railing the 15 (?) into the other balls and ducking right there (as others have already posted).

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
To me the angle on the 6-1 combo looks a little shallow to naturally slide over to the other side of those balls -- it looks like to get there you would have to hit harder, and harder on a combo is bad news in One Pocket because you can easily send both balls over to your oppo's side if you miss hit. For that reason, I'd be looking at two railing the 15 (?) into the other balls and ducking right there (as others have already posted).

Agreed on that combo... Not allot of good for allot of bad possible results.

If the six-one combo had a little different angle it would be a different story.

I would be sick if the six slid over to the other side of the table and sold out.
This is one of those that looks like it is on but isn't quite there IMO.

First choice for me is the bank, second is to play of the 2 balls near the center of the table slide over off the rail and nustle up on the 2.

Dud

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Unless you get a little roll and put a ball right in the correct spot off that bank, the guy is just gonna be able to jam you up in that upper left corner (about diamond 1 so you dont have an angle on the combo) the whole game. And while doing this each time the guy will probably be improving his layout too. That combo is there. You dont even have to go all the way over, just draw back or go toward the spot and you should be fine. Focus on making it. I really dont know if that 4 (23) ball goes though :confused: but many of those other balls do go for howard. But if you get relatively free shots at the game with a better than even money shot you gotta go. Also, not a lot of balls go for rafael at this point.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Howard did shoot the 6-1 combo and hit it almost perfect. The 1 did slide in off the pocket jaw but there was no doubt it was going in. He hit it with decent speed to get the cueball safe.

HV's Shot.jpg

He left the cueball here and ran 5 more balls:

HV's Leave.Jpeg

Later in this game he fouled by not hitting a rail when trying to pocket the 13 in Rafael's pocket (and he actually hit the 13:eek:):

hv's foul.Jpeg

Howard missed this shot later in the same game. This ball would have put him in the finals:

hv's miss.Jpeg

8andout

Verified Member
what did he shoot?

what did he shoot?

it would be nice if you show a photo of what the paler actually shot. that way we can see if we're thinking like a pro...

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Howard did shoot the 6-1 combo and hit it almost perfect. The 1 did slide in off the pocket jaw but there was no doubt it was going in. He hit it with decent speed to get the cueball safe.

View attachment 5986

He left the cueball here and ran 5 more balls:

View attachment 5987

Later in this game he fouled by not hitting a rail when trying to pocket the 13 in Rafael's pocket (and he actually hit the 13:eek:):

View attachment 5988

Howard missed this shot later in the same game. This ball would have put him in the finals:

View attachment 5989

He hit that about as good as you can to keep that 6 where he did.

Dud

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
it would be nice if you show a photo of what the paler actually shot. that way we can see if we're thinking like a pro...

8andout,

That is an excellent suggestion, one which I hope to someday see you employ when you start posting layouts from matches.

I rarely ever show more than the shot the paler shot. If anyone wants to see more they should contact Pat Fleming at http://accu-stats.com/index.html and order the DVD's in question.

If you want to see more of this Martinez/Vickery match here is the link to purchase it: http://www.1vshop.com/Accu-Stats/st...afael+Martinez+vs.+Howard+Vickery+(SF)*+(DVD)

P.S. I did show what the paler actually shot.

Dennis