Not that we fall in line
Eight soldiers in step
Partners in crime
Our game, it’s a war
Cerebral in nature
Knowhow, know when, know why
Easy to say, not so easy
To execute in play

Unless someone rocks my world in the next 45 minutes then this entry is the winner of the contest. It was very difficult to choose between all of the ones I liked. Bille, V-Man, Miller, Clare, Ghosty and so many others were so good that I really hate to narrow it down to one but I must.

The check will be in the mail tomorrow barring a late entry that just kills it.

Thanks to all who participated, I knew you had it in you.

Dennis

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
An excellent choice, and my congratulations to Steve and a tip of my straw hat to Dennis for his generosity and his origination of a great thread that drew an impressive number of views, and no bloodshed at all.

I'm glad that I did not win, as an extra hundred dollars would screw up my budget all the way to St. Partridge Day. Besides, I would not want to turn pro right now - not with the olympics coming up next year. Be well, all. :)

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Unless someone rocks my world in the next 45 minutes then this entry is the winner of the contest. It was very difficult to choose between all of the ones I liked. Bille, V-Man, Miller, Clare, Ghosty and so many others were so good that I really hate to narrow it down to one but I must.

Dennis

Boy am I ever glad now, that Steve pm'ed me wanting to do a $50 saver - and I agreed...:)

- Geaust

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Dennis
Well I'll be humbled -- there was some good competition there. Great variety, too, from short and to the point to the more epic serious, and not to forget the good humor, too. Well the hundred will go toward a good cause...

Thank you Dennis!

PS I think we need to feature these somewhere -- at least a selection of the best of them.

Dennis

Well-deserved winner. Great writing, Steve.

Clare

Very nice contest, Vaquero. :)

Hey, I miss you guys. Gotta quit all this working. LOL

Yeah, then all you'd need is a girlfriend who has a job and you could be a poolplayer:eek:

RBL

I'm considering that. :lol Not a bad fit,though, eh? Pro pool player and hard-working girlfriend? Could very well work out.

All you need is love (and money),
Clare

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I'm considering that. :lol Not a bad fit,though, eh? Pro pool player and hard-working girlfriend? Could very well work out.

All you need is love (and money),
Clare

i think alot of us out here might say
"i got the love if you got the money":D
jk clare:)
larry

i think alot of us out here might say
"i got the love if you got the money":D
jk clare:)
larry

Yeah, that's how it is, Larry.

Clare

P.S. Guess it all depends on how much "love" you need> :cool:

Yeah, then all you'd need is a girlfriend who has a job and you could be a poolplayer:eek:

RBL

Dennis, you need to understand something. A pro pool player does NOT have the time or energy for a real job. Reminds me of a question that a girlfriend asked me back in the day. She queried, "What does Jimmy do every day?" I responded, "Well, you know the kind of things that most people do for leisure, or fun, like play pool, golf, play cards, play backgammon, sleep, watch, TV....well, that's what Jimmy does every day." She just gave me a funny look. Stupidly, she decided to dig a little dipper. She want on to ask, "Well, where does he get money from?" I simply told her that she just wouldn't get it. She was way too square to comprehend. :sorry

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Dennis, you need to understand something. A pro pool player does NOT have the time or energy for a real job. Reminds me of a question that a girlfriend asked me back in the day. She queried, "What does Jimmy do every day?" I responded, "Well, you know the kind of things that most people do for leisure, or fun, like play pool, golf, play cards, play backgammon, sleep, watch, TV....well, that's what Jimmy does every day." She just gave me a funny look. Stupidly, she decided to dig a little dipper. She want on to ask, "Well, where does he get money from?" I simply told her that she just wouldn't get it. She was way too square to comprehend. :sorry

clare i comprehend:)
when pool is your job
you play every day
duh???
the caveat is
you have to be better than everyone you play
or
make games where you can win and do win all your match ups
and
dont take your winnings and lose them at the track or the card room
whats so hard about that:heh

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
i am not asking for a recount ... no bitter berries here!

i am not asking for a recount ... no bitter berries here!

the vaquero has spoken; thus spake the buckaroo.

in fact, i found the winning entry in this poetry competition to be completely adequate. for this type of thing. in this context. under these circumstances.

in my exit-polling of several friends, i learned there is a consensus as to why i didn’t triumph in this particular tournament.

the answer begins with ‘t’ and that’s a capital ‘T’ and that stands for Talent.

1) talent that i don’t have.

b) talent that others do.

‘smile though your heart is aching, smile even though ...’

beaming bravely through dismal despondency is my life,

sunny

p. s. i suppose it would be mean-minded not to thank cowboy denise for both creating the contest and for providing the purse.

p. p. s. it’s just a silly little competition and it doesn’t bother me in the least that i didn’t win!

p. p. p. s. but -- for the sake of some hurting-poets who, prostrate in fetal-position grief, and in danger of cranial injury from tumbling from their stained, sagging couches -- i asked a completely independent professional literary analyst to evaluate all of the poetic submissions herein. this is her totally unbiased assessment ...

p. p. p. p. s. hello, this is not sunny writing this. i am a completely independent professional literary analyst merely appraising the poetry in this particular thread.

from an unimpeachably impartial perspective, it is obvious that sunny’s entries should have come in:

number one,
two,
three,
four,
and tied for fifth.

this is my solemn, neutral perspective and this is not sunny typing this.

p. p. p. p. p. s. hi! sunny back again ... i hope this challenge becomes an annual event!

p. p. p. p. p. p. s. ‘bitter berries’ can be translated as ‘sour grapes.’ cliffsnotes for additional references are available for a nominal fee.

clare i comprehend:)
when pool is your job
you play every day
duh???
Not necessarily.
the caveat is
you have to be better than everyone you play
Covered.
or
make games where you can win and do win all your match ups
Not always.

dont take your winnings and lose them at the track or the card room
This is where a little problem creeps in.
whats so hard about that:heh
"Hard" is a relative term.

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member

in fact, i found the winning entry in this poetry competition to be completely adequate. for this type of thing. in this context. under these circumstances.

in my exit-polling of several friends, i learned there is a consensus as to why i didn’t triumph in this particular tournament.

sunny

p. s. i suppose it would be mean-minded not to thank cowboy denise for both creating the contest and for providing the purse.

p. p. s. it’s just a silly little competition and it doesn’t bother me in the least that i didn’t win!

p. p. p. s. but -- for the sake of some hurting-poets who, prostrate in fetal-position grief, and in danger of cranial injury from tumbling from their stained, sagging couches -- i asked a completely independent professional literary analyst to evaluate all of the poetic submissions herein. this is her totally unbiased assessment ...

p. p. p. p. s. hello, this is not sunny writing this. i am a completely independent professional literary analyst merely appraising the poetry in this particular thread.

from an unimpeachably impartial perspective, it is obvious that sunny’s entries should have come in:

number one,
two,
three,
four,
and tied for fifth.

p. p. p. p. p. s. hi! sunny back again ... i hope this challenge becomes an annual event!

p. p. p. p. p. p. s. ‘bitter berries’ can be translated as ‘sour grapes.’ cliffsnotes for additional references are available for a nominal fee.

I read all of the entries multiple times because I get off on things like that. Anyway the assortment of poems by You and Red Card were very enjoyable and I liked them a lot, but there were several others that were real good too, but I just remember you two doing a variety of great entries. Anyway the vaquero has indeed spoken (I caught the cowboy denise remark) and he is more than a fair hand with a pistol, as R Boone would say to Hombre. I'm watching closing arguements in the Conrad Murray trial. Damnnn I would hate for that prosecuter to be stalking my ass. That Ryan Seacrest looking mullafkr is relentless, isn't he. ouch. Don't get despondent. I am thinking about sponsoring a writing contest to the tune of at least $300 (probably more) if Steve says it's ok. I need a good idea of what to go for though. I thought about war stories concerning one pocket but have these long timers already told all of them they know?? I think some new people came in here because of this contest so maybe anothern with more money would work, not to upstage RBl (he'll probably win it). Maybe Artie Bodendorfer will come back to enter (ola Artie te quiero). Freddy The Beard has fantastic writing skills and he can win if he really wanted to. Anyway if somebody has any good ideas let me know because necesito me jorar mi vida. I got to learn spanish by tonight.Hey baby que pasO??? Buenos noches. See ya in Boystown....

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I read all of the entries multiple times because I get off on things like that. Anyway the assortment of poems by You and Red Card were very enjoyable and I liked them a lot, but there were several others that were real good too, but I just remember you two doing a variety of great entries. Anyway the vaquero has indeed spoken (I caught the cowboy denise remark) and he is more than a fair hand with a pistol, as R Boone would say to Hombre. I'm watching closing arguements in the Conrad Murray trial. Damnnn I would hate for that prosecuter to be stalking my ass. That Ryan Seacrest looking mullafkr is relentless, isn't he. ouch. Don't get despondent. I am thinking about sponsoring a writing contest to the tune of at least $300 (probably more) if Steve says it's ok. I need a good idea of what to go for though. I thought about war stories concerning one pocket but have these long timers already told all of them they know?? I think some new people came in here because of this contest so maybe anothern with more money would work, not to upstage RBl (he'll probably win it). Maybe Artie Bodendorfer will come back to enter (ola Artie te quiero). Freddy The Beard has fantastic writing skills and he can win if he really wanted to. Anyway if somebody has any good ideas let me know because necesito me jorar mi vida. I got to learn spanish by tonight.Hey baby que pasO??? Buenos noches. See ya in Boystown....

i speak some spanish
what are you trying to say with jorar:confused:
for the hey baby
you might try
que pasA? te quiero para esta noche??:eek:

just trying to help:)

you can pm me if you want

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

sunny

number one,
two,
three,
four,
and tied for fifth.

sunnyone
as a gracious loser
i would think since you have the means to do it
you should make a donation($200) to the 1p.org player support fund