Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2019, 04:36 AM
Verified Member

Default WWYD at The Broken Rack

Sax pro Joe and I were playing a little 20 dollar one pocket tonight. I'm giving him 9-7. We're tied at 7-5 when Joe came to the table after I missed the bank but left him long without a clear take out shot. There aren't a lot of choices, but WWYD?
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2019, 06:08 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobermory View Post
Sax pro Joe and I were playing a little 20 dollar one pocket tonight. I'm giving him 9-7. We're tied at 7-5 when Joe came to the table after I missed the bank but left him long without a clear take out shot. There aren't a lot of choices, but WWYD?
I would lag the cue ball two rails and kick at the striped ball by my opponent's pocket.

I am fairly confident on this type of shot using "the spot on the wall for a reference point." One of the shots that I practice before playing a match on a table is to place the cue ball in the corner pocket and calculate where and how much spin is needed to bank the cue ball a half diamond before the corner pocket and to also bank the cue ball into the corner pocket.

As to the shot itself, the first rail my cue ball would strike is the long rail where the 14-ball is nearest. The spot on the long rail my cue ball would strike is approximately 1 inch before the side pocket. I would strike the cue ball with approximately 3/4's tip of high right (running English).

The cue ball's direction coming off the long rail should then strike the short rail between the 1st diamond and my opponent's pocket. The cue ball should be struck with enough force to come off the short rail and kick the striped ball several inches up table from my opponent's pocket and towards the long rail.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:11 AM
Verified Member

I am cutting the 13 ball in and playing position for the cross corner. Living with the results no matter what.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:12 AM
Verified Member

While kicking at that ball ought to be pretty straightforward, I gotta believe I would be successful more often using the 13 ball to take that ball out.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:34 AM
Verified Member

I like J.R.ís shot. The problem with taking the ball out IMO with the ball in front of you is you really donít know where both balls are going and are relying on a little bit of luck on a shot you could lose the game on. You may leave a shot after the kick, but the other balls are still uptable.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:11 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy View Post
I like J.R.ís shot. The problem with taking the ball out IMO with the ball in front of you is you really donít know where both balls are going and are relying on a little bit of luck on a shot you could lose the game on. You may leave a shot after the kick, but the other balls are still uptable.
You are 100% correct with your analysis John, taking the ball out is part one of the problem, part two is controlling the balls that are involved in the take out.

If you're somewhat familiar with the kick then kicking should be a strong consideration.

Dr. Bill
Old 09-06-2019, 12:17 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmoose View Post
While kicking at that ball ought to be pretty straightforward, I gotta believe I would be successful more often using the 13 ball to take that ball out.
In this scenario where there are very few balls left on the table you will give up a shot more often than not trying to take the ball out off the 13ball. However, when there are multiple balls around the rack area then your chances are better not giving up a shot with the take out. In either case the kick should be considered.

Dr. Bill
Old 09-06-2019, 12:22 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybanks View Post
I am cutting the 13 ball in and playing position for the cross corner. Living with the results no matter what.
As a 9/7 dog playing the game shooting the 13ball would be a viable option IMO, however, if you were a 9/7 favorite facing this situation then what would you do? I'm kicking for sure. And as a 9/7 dog facing this situation I'm 50/50 shooting the 13ball but if I'm feeling good then I'm shooting.

Dr. Bill
Old 09-06-2019, 01:22 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Seb Pauchon

Hi,
What do you guys think of playing safe off the 14 to buy some time until you have a clearer view on the 10? The resting positions of the balls seem easier to control than with the kick or playing the 13 on the 10.
Maybe less effective than the other two options, but maybe less risky ?
Or too passive?

seb
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2019, 01:51 PM
Verified Member

You gotta shoot at a ball here, the 13. I hate losing after a kick or some other ducking move.