DCC Louie Roberts Action and Entertainment Award 2012!

Cornerman

Verified Member
From
Carlsbad, CA
It's that time of year. Where did the time go??? Once again get ready for the Derby City Classic with monster action and entertainment.

For those that might be going to the greatest event of the year for the first time (shocking!), every year a person is named as the recipient of the Louie Roberts Action and Entertainment Award. The award is one of the many extras that define the Derby City Classic!

The award is given to the person that exemplifies the terms “Action and Entertainment” and is voted on by you, the internet forum members who attend the Derby City Classic.

In addition, the winner is the only non-tournament champion whose name and photo is displayed among the tournament championship banners in the great tournament hall!

Please see the PDF link below for more information, voting instructions and the list of past champions!

Louie Roberts Presentation 2012 - with voting instructions

See you there!!!

Freddie Agnir

Deeman

Verified Member
If you didn't get my e-mail, my votes are for:

John Henderson

Tony Coleman

Scooter
T
All were in constant action and, in my opinion, better represent the true gambler than the one off of a Viffer last year. Not to say anything bad about him as I also enjoyed the show but normal bets over a longer period is what the spirit of our sport is more so than almost proposition bets that soak up all the other action.

I enjoyed the streaming and commentary during the banks match with Mora and Hall last night. Sorry I didn't stay long enough this year to buy you a few drinks.

DeeMan

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
If you didn't get my e-mail, my votes are for:

John Henderson

Tony Coleman

Scooter

All were in constant action and, in my opinion, better represent the true gambler than the one off of a Viffer last year. Not to say anything bad about him as I also enjoyed the show but normal bets over a longer period is what the spurt of our sport more so than almost proposition bets that soak up all the other action.

I enjoyed the streaming and commentary during the banks match with Mora and Hall last night. Sorry I didn't stay long enough this year to buy you a few drinks.

DeeMan

Scooter has already won it once DeeMan and Coleman was in or staking action all the time.

My action matches never lasted longer than a few hours. Billy I played much longer and for quite a bit more $$ than I did,but thanks for the thought.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I went with Chris Gentile, Richie Richeson and Tony Coleman. I did not see a lot of the over the top action of some prior years. It was good to see Tony Watson back in action. Another prior winner that made some action appearances was Jeanette Lee. Of course Scooter was back in force.

The younger Ohio contingent is next, imo...

Cornerman

Verified Member
From
Carlsbad, CA
Just a reminder for those who have already returned from the 2012 Derby City Classic to send me your vote for the Louie Roberts Action & Entertainment Award!!!!

louierobertsae@gmail.com

Your vote makes the decision on the award!!!!

Right now, the vote is so close, I'm going to be sick announcing it!

I usually give a couple of days for people to get back and get settled, so I'm closing the voting on Tuesday at midnight for those returning from Louisville!

So, if you haven't emailed or PM'd your vote (and I also see all your votes on the thread, too), then please vote! I know a lot of you had all kinds of opinions at the Derby.

Freddie <~~~ would rather have a landslide

Cornerman

Verified Member
From
Carlsbad, CA
Just a reminder for those who have already returned from the 2012 Derby City Classic to send me your vote for the Louie Roberts Action & Entertainment Award!!!!

louierobertsae@gmail.com

Your vote makes the decision on the award!!!!
Last day to vote folks. I saw a lot of you there that haven't sent me a vote. If you don't vote, you can't complain later. (Well, that won't stop the complaining).

louierobertsae@gmail.com

Freddie <~~~ ready for the complaints

Deeman

Verified Member
Last day to vote folks. I saw a lot of you there that haven't sent me a vote. If you don't vote, you can't complain later. (Well, that won't stop the complaining).

louierobertsae@gmail.com

Freddie <~~~ ready for the complaints

Fred,

Only the onset of nuclear war would distract this group from complaining. :)

I think, over the years, it has been a pretty fair process but, of course, we can only vote on what we saw. I might have added Cris Gentile but did not get to see his action this year. Overall, I am happy with my choices.

DeeMan

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
If it's not too late, here's a pitch for J Rock. His win/loss list from the Derby:

1) Brian White and Myself played Gentile and Amjit even partners and you could coach every third game ( Lost 10K including rail action )
2) Bet half of 2K with Scooter playing Victor 9-6 ( Lost )
3) Bet half of 4K with Scooter playing a guy even with a bridge playing 9-Ball ( Won )
4) Bet 2K on Scooter playing Dennis with break ball in hand playing 9-Ball with Dennis just needing one ball to win ( Won )
5) Brian White and Myself played Gentile and Amjit coaching every game instead of every third game ( Lost 13K )
6) Scooter and Myself played Kent from KC and his buddy for 2500 even one hole ( Lost 5K )
7) Went in half with Scooter playing Kent's friend even one hole ( Won 3K )
8) I played Kent 9-7 with a coach ( Lost 3K )
9) Terry gave Amjit 10-6 ; absolute heist ( Lost 3K )
10) Took Dennis playing Scott Frost on a bar table with the 8 ( Won 2K )
11) Terry and Myself played Amjit even one hole ( Lost 3K )
12) Stake Scooter for 10K playing Tony banks with a bridge vs his one hand and 5-4 two hand back and forth race to 9 ( Lost 10K )

(Quoted from AZBilliards)

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Demonrho, looks like this guy dropped about 29K, and you think he should get a prize for that? I don't think I understand all I know about this.

But he was in action - no doubt about that. Maybe that's all that's required. :eek:

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
Demonrho, looks like this guy dropped about 29K, and you think he should get a prize for that?..:

J provided action and entertainment, and that's the name of the game. I was thoroughly entertained (and edumacated) watching Brian White coach him and Chris Gentile coach Amjit in their long ass one pocket session ;)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
J provided action and entertainment, and that's the name of the game. I was thoroughly entertained (and edumacated) watching Brian White coach him and Chris Gentile coach Amjit in their long ass one pocket session ;)

i missed that match but apparently there was alot of teaching going on
i saw several posts/chats about how educational the match was. i beleive they were serious

Cornerman

Verified Member
From
Carlsbad, CA
Tony Coleman - 2012 Louie Roberts A/E Winner!

Tony Coleman - 2012 Louie Roberts A/E Winner!

Press Release: 1 February 2012 - Louie Roberts Action & Entertainment Committee

In what has been the tightest race in its history at the Derby City Classic, Tony Coleman has emerged as the 2012 Louie Roberts Action & Entertainment Award Winner. Not only was Tony in non-stop playing action, he was a high-profile stake horse and game-maker throughout the DCC. AS a highlight, at one point Coleman was playing one-handed banks (his specialty) while side-betting per bank with a professional player determined to shark him. Always a crowd pleaser, when “Tony Banks” was making a game, a crowd was sure to form. And that’s what the Action & Entertainment award is all about.

Chicago’s Chris Gentile finished a very close second to Coleman in the overall voting. An annual fixture in the Derby City Classic, there was never a moment that Gentile wasn’t in action. Involved in a partners one-pocket match on the internet live stream early in the event, Gentile’s action match-ups continued to the very last moments of the DCC well after the tournaments were completed. Chris Gentile’s action-packed presence this year warrants recognition.

For winning this year, Tony Coleman will receive free hotel and tournament entry for life to the Derby City Classic. Additionally as with all of the past winners, Coleman’s image will be placed among the championship banners lofted high in the tournament hall at all future Derby City Classics.

Congratulations to Tony Coleman!

Sincerely,

The Action and Entertainment Committee

Deeman

Verified Member
Great choice and my second vote! Tony has been in action everywhere he has ever been and this could be considered a lifetime achievement award for a great player. I always thought he played better with one hand than he does with both!

Nice to see an everyday working guy win.

DeeMan

Cornerman

Verified Member
From
Carlsbad, CA
Chris Gentile Gets Recognition - 2012 Louie Roberts AE Runner-Up

Chris Gentile Gets Recognition - 2012 Louie Roberts AE Runner-Up

Chicago’s Chris Gentile finished a very close second to Coleman in the overall voting. An annual fixture in the Derby City Classic, there was never a moment that Gentile wasn’t in action. Involved in a partners one-pocket match on the internet live stream early in the event, Gentile’s action match-ups continued to the very last moments of the DCC well after the tournaments were completed. Chris Gentile’s action-packed presence this year warrants recognition.

My apologies for not announcing it sooner, but because this race was so tight Greg Sullivan has graciously awarded Chris Gentile hotel and entry for next year's Derby City Classic.

The press release hinted that this was going to happen, but your humble Committee Head was too dense to realize that the decision was confirmed.

Congratulations Chris Gentile as your action-packed presence this year truly did warrant and receive recognition

Sincerley,

The Action and Entertainment Award Committee Head

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Nice gesture

Nice gesture

Greg Sullivan called me last night for Chris Gentile's phone number so he could tell him that he was going to get a nice jelly for second. The race was unbelievably close. (By one vote, unverified.) That means that every single person who voted decided who would win.

Beard