1994 US Open Onepocket - Bill Incardona-Cliff Joyner (Semis)

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
I'm continuing to try and push myself to get some stuff completed that I've been slacking on for a year now. Finishing posting the last few videos of this tournament and that's one thing I can cross off the list.:) (Sorry sappo!)

Bill, please feel free to give us any info you remember about this tournament, of how you were playing, whether you remember this match..etc

I'm posting this on the CSI Youtube channel, so while you're over there, please subscribe to their channel so you can be alerted of videos the moment they're being posted!

Well, here we go ! Never before seen onepocket from 17 years ago!!! These matches are brought to you by sappo from the onepocket.org site. He shipped the VHS tapes to me and I converted them over. These VHS tapes were from the owner of the Billiard Playground, who taped some of the matches when the US Open was held there, in Kalamazoo, MI.

For some unknown reason, there is no audio on the tapes. As far as the quality, keep in mind these were taken with 17-20 year old technology as far as camcorders, plus you got the tape degradation from 17 years of sitting around, the conversion from tape to digital format and the uploading to youtube. Considering all of that, these matches are perfectly fine to get to watch some great onepocket from our players of almost 2 decades ago.

Today we got the semifinals of the tournament with our own Billy Incardona and Clliff Joyner. These 2 guys play the finals too, so Billy apparently had to beat Cliff twice.

The tournament details: (thanks to Mark Griffin for the details, maybe more to come)
Aug 25-28th at Billiards Playground in Kalamazoo, MI.
Grady was the Tournament Director. A article mentions Ed Hall was the owner, but Matt Rosendahl was heavily involved.
$100 entry
39 player field
$10,200 in prize money

1st -Cliff Joyner $2,800
2nd -Billy Incardona ($2,000)
3rd -Willie Munson ($1,500)
4th -Grady Mathews ($1,000)
5-6th -Ritchie Richeson $500
5-6th -Cornbread Red $500
===========================================

Link to 1994 US Open Onepocket - Bill Incardona-Cliff Joyner (Semis)

Link to playlist for all videos I've posted from this tournament

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Good video, Greg. It's nice of you to transfer and post it. It cracked me up, though. During Billy's second shot of the match (the break being his first) he hits a ball with his cue which banks off the side rail, then rolls up table. It didn't appear that either player said anything, so it must have been unnoticed. It happened a second or so after he shot. I thought, "Where did THAT ball come from?" Had to replay it to see. Billy obviously didn't do it on purpose because the ball would have been better for him left where it was.

Technically the rule would have been that the opponent would dictate if it were to be replaced. But in this case the ball rolled so far that most everyone would say to replace it. IF they had noticed it...;)

Doc

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Billy, Your first shot after the break in this first game reminded me of a game played at The Green Room outside of Baltimore. The players were Weenie Beenie and Larry Neudecker. Neudecker needed one and had a ball near his hole. Beenie was shooting towards his pocket jacked up over that ball and as he stroked trying to spin his rock, his cue stick slipped sideways and the shaft knocked the obstructing ball right into Neudeckers pocket.

Beenie lamely suggested the ball should be replaced back in its original position but Neudecker replied "It's my option to leave it where it is, isn't it? Game over, pay me".

You wait long enough, you'll see just about everything.

Tom

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
If they did, there didn't seem to be any discussion, which would be remarkable. Maybe Cardone can straighten us out. Been a long time, though...

Doc

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Doc, I'm sure if Billy thought he might get Cliff to agree to replace the ball he would have asked. I suspect Billy knew it would be fruitless to ask so he just didn't bother. I'd do the same thing, nothing. But i'd be pissed at myself all the same.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Billy, Your first shot after the break in this first game reminded me of a game played at The Green Room outside of Baltimore. The players were Weenie Beenie and Larry Neudecker. Neudecker needed one and had a ball near his hole. Beenie was shooting towards his pocket jacked up over that ball and as he stroked trying to spin his rock, his cue stick slipped sideways and the shaft knocked the obstructing ball right into Neudeckers pocket.

Beenie lamely suggested the ball should be replaced back in its original position but Neudecker replied "It's my option to leave it where it is, isn't it? Game over, pay me".

You wait long enough, you'll see just about everything.

Tom
Great story Tom -- I heard this from Beenie too -- in the category of one of the strangest things that ever happened to him in a game.

THood

From
Westford, MA
I noticed the jump-cue come out in the first rack. 19 years later and one-pocket still survives... ;-)

(ducks and runs away cackling)

PS. For what it's worth, I think jump cues should be banned from one-pocket. Call me an originalist.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I'm continuing to try and push myself to get some stuff completed that I've been slacking on for a year now. Finishing posting the last few videos of this tournament and that's one thing I can cross off the list.:) (Sorry sappo!)

Bill, please feel free to give us any info you remember about this tournament, of how you were playing, whether you remember this match..etc

I'm posting this on the CSI Youtube channel, so while you're over there, please subscribe to their channel so you can be alerted of videos the moment they're being posted!

Well, here we go ! Never before seen onepocket from 17 years ago!!! These matches are brought to you by sappo from the onepocket.org site. He shipped the VHS tapes to me and I converted them over. These VHS tapes were from the owner of the Billiard Playground, who taped some of the matches when the US Open was held there, in Kalamazoo, MI.

For some unknown reason, there is no audio on the tapes. As far as the quality, keep in mind these were taken with 17-20 year old technology as far as camcorders, plus you got the tape degradation from 17 years of sitting around, the conversion from tape to digital format and the uploading to youtube. Considering all of that, these matches are perfectly fine to get to watch some great onepocket from our players of almost 2 decades ago.

Today we got the semifinals of the tournament with our own Billy Incardona and Clliff Joyner. These 2 guys play the finals too, so Billy apparently had to beat Cliff twice.

The tournament details: (thanks to Mark Griffin for the details, maybe more to come)
Aug 25-28th at Billiards Playground in Kalamazoo, MI.
Grady was the Tournament Director. A article mentions Ed Hall was the owner, but Matt Rosendahl was heavily involved.
$100 entry
39 player field
$10,200 in prize money

1st -Cliff Joyner $2,800
2nd -Billy Incardona ($2,000)
3rd -Willie Munson ($1,500)
4th -Grady Mathews ($1,000)
5-6th -Ritchie Richeson $500
5-6th -Cornbread Red $500
===========================================

Link to 1994 US Open Onepocket - Bill Incardona-Cliff Joyner (Semis)

Link to playlist for all videos I've posted from this tournament
Greg, I was the only undefeated player left in the tournament when I played Cliff in the finals. It was a one race to 5 which Cliff won 5 to 4. This tournament like the Roanoke tournament I went to the finals in both tournaments undefeated. In both tournaments I didn't sleep the night before the finals, and consequently lost both finals 5 to 4. I was 51 years old in this tournament and was playing some pretty good one pocket. However my best one pocket playing years was when I was about 38 to 40 years old.

I played upper echelon 9ball in my 20's (23 to 31 years old) and retired in around 1973. I stayed retired for about 5 years and then started to play again when I was around 36 years old. I really didn't play much 9ball because my 9ball game wasn't nearly as strong as is was when I quit, so I started to play a lot of one pocket. Me and Eddie Kelly played 3 to 4 days a week at my home and I learned quite a bit playing Kelly. At that time I was playing as good of one pocket as just about anyone and retired again around the age of 42. I started playing again around the age of 47 and played for about another 6 years and retired again around the age of 53. I then again made another come back around the age of 59 and have been playing ever since.

I actually understand the game much better today then at any time in my life, I just have problems making game ball nowadays. (and a lot of balls before game ball):eek: I have always had a love affair with pool, particularly one pocket. Too bad i'm getting too old to get off any more:eek:, however, I still talk a good game.

Thanks for the matches:) brings back memories.:D

Dr. Bill