Easy safe vs hard shot

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
I know that you should take an easy safe over a hard shot but does this apply when playing the score?

Let me also say that a hard shot for me may not be so hard for the rest of you. It only took Gulfportdoc two games to figure out he could leave me long and have very good odds on getting back to the table. Geez, I'm giving up my secrets.

Anyway, I stray from the question, if I am playing the score and I am say three balls behind am I supposed to get aggressive? It just seems that I sell out a lot when I could have made a fairly easy safe. I know though that you can't ever win on defense. I guess I can answer my own question by saying sooner or later ya gotta shoot for the hole. I know, y'all are saying "Hey dummie, learn to shoot better". I try, really. Oh well, checkers is lookin' better all the time.

Uh, I'm working Loxey so I'm bored. No table in the back :rolleyes:

Later, Pel

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Even playing the score, and you're behind, you want to pick your spots to be aggressive... Don't forget, the farther behind you are, the nearer you are to losing already -- it doesn't take much of a mistake to go down for the count when you're already losing! There is even a school of thought that adopts an ultra conservative approach when behind -- simply waiting for your opponent to let you back in the game.

If you're facing a tough safe vs a tough shot, then you generally go for the shot -- especially if there is a lot to gain if you make the shot.

But easy safe vs tough shot, maybe it's not yet 'time to go'. It could be 'time to go' if you stand to gain good position to run balls and you have the feeling that going for the shot really does give you the best chance to win. But if you see an easy and productive safety, that's probably the better choice, even if it isn't quite as glamorous as the fancy shot you're cookin' up :) And of course you're never supposed to shoot a tough shot for just one ball -- unless you only need one -- or unless it's pretty much 'free'.

'Course you can shoot at tough shots all day if they're 'free' :)

But if you're talking about tough shots that are going to cost you if you miss -- well that reminds me of the old saying One Pocket is a game more often lost than won, and you're going to lose alot of games picking the wrong tough shots to go for.

It's rewarding to make a tough shot, but you know what, it can be just as satisfying to pass on a tough shot, play a couple simple safeties instead, and find yourself rewarded by your opponent following up with an unexpected mistake! And the latter might be more common than the former!!

To be perfectly honest, I think a lot of the most valuable One Pocket knowledge isn't to be found in the fancy shots, it's in the simple safeties -- if you're seeing the easy safeties, you're already half way home, just make sure you choose the right path :) :)

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
NH Steve said:
Even playing the score, and you're behind, you want to pick your spots to be aggressive... Don't forget, the farther behind you are, the nearer you are to losing already -- it doesn't take much of a mistake to go down for the count when you're already losing! There is even a school of thought that adopts an ultra conservative approach when behind -- simply waiting for your opponent to let you back in the game.

If you're facing a tough safe vs a tough shot, then you generally go for the shot -- especially if there is a lot to gain if you make the shot.

But easy safe vs tough shot, maybe it's not yet 'time to go'. It could be 'time to go' if you stand to gain good position to run balls and you have the feeling that going for the shot really does give you the best chance to win. But if you see an easy and productive safety, that's probably the better choice, even if it isn't quite as glamorous as the fancy shot you're cookin' up :) And of course you're never supposed to shoot a tough shot for just one ball -- unless you only need one -- or unless it's pretty much 'free'.

'Course you can shoot at tough shots all day if they're 'free' :)

But if you're talking about tough shots that are going to cost you if you miss -- well that reminds me of the old saying One Pocket is a game more often lost than won, and you're going to lose alot of games picking the wrong tough shots to go for.

It's rewarding to make a tough shot, but you know what, it can be just as satisfying to pass on a tough shot, play a couple simple safeties instead, and find yourself rewarded by your opponent following up with an unexpected mistake! And the latter might be more common than the former!!

To be perfectly honest, I think a lot of the most valuable One Pocket knowledge isn't to be found in the fancy shots, it's in the simple safeties -- if you're seeing the easy safeties, you're already half way home, just make sure you choose the right path :) :)
Steve, you really are as hooked on this game as the rest of us, lol.
Very well said. As much as I enjoy good verbal volleyball, I can't argue with any of that.

Last edited:

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Yes - Yes - Yes

Yes - Yes - Yes

NH Steve said:
And of course you're never supposed to shoot a tough shot for just one ball -- unless you only need one -- or unless it's pretty much free
:eek: There ya go!!!! Damnit Steve, that's what I was probably not grasping. When I have played Grady and we talk about the shots as we go I have asked on occassion why he didn't pot a particular ball. He has responded something like - Well, I would only get the one with no good followup. So he played me safe instead. DUH! It just never really sank in until I saw it in print the way you stated it. Man, do I ever appreciate that one sentence.

Owe ya a couple of cold ones on that, Pel

piggybank04

Verified Member
Pelican said:
I know that you should take an easy safe over a hard shot but does this apply when playing the score?

Let me also say that a hard shot for me may not be so hard for the rest of you. It only took Gulfportdoc two games to figure out he could leave me long and have very good odds on getting back to the table. Geez, I'm giving up my secrets.

Anyway, I stray from the question, if I am playing the score and I am say three balls behind am I supposed to get aggressive? It just seems that I sell out a lot when I could have made a fairly easy safe. I know though that you can't ever win on defense. I guess I can answer my own question by saying sooner or later ya gotta shoot for the hole. I know, y'all are saying "Hey dummie, learn to shoot better". I try, really. Oh well, checkers is lookin' better all the time.

Uh, I'm working Loxey so I'm bored. No table in the back :rolleyes:

Later, Pel
I think it depends on your style......some guys will shoot at anything,anytime,ala Keith or Joyner......others more defensive moves.I personally will shoot at most anything that even resembles a shot most of the time......i figure that if i hit the ball good that it will either go,or be in the jaws and the other guy will have to play defense.....for me thats a good strategy.i still play defense,but you will have to decide the safety vs. offense factor based on your style,confidence level,etc........