What Makes A Legend?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
CaliRed said:
Doc... does the above several posts count as a STS post?:)
You bet! Although it would only be 3rd tier STS if the posts are true...:cool:

I'm sure Fred is chompin' at the bit. But I believe that he's staying out of all the horse pucky until after the Derby. Although if the threads keep baiting him, I'd give the over and under at about 3 more posts. He is Sicilian, you know.;)

Doc

bstroud

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Bill,

There seems to be a discrepancy in the recollections of either Freddy or you.

I'm sure this "beat list" could be in error since it lists Cletus (at the Rack) as a victim playing even one-pocket. Unless there was a Cletus I didn't know about and there certainly could have been. The only Cletus I ever knew at the Rack got 8-3 and his fouls don't count from players my speed. It must be a different guy.

Here's a partial (it's very loooooooooooooooong) of the beat list from his site.

Who the hell did the Beard ever beat?
Following is a list of players the Beard beat PLAYING ALL OF THEM EVEN, at least ONCE, in a COMPLETE gambling session, or tournament match over his 50 year career.

Bill Cardone, Pittsburgh Billy Incardona — one pocket and banks
Bill Lawson – banks
Bill Memphis Rousey – tournament one pocket
Bill Mielke — 9 ball
Bill Stigall — one pocket
Billy Cornbread Red Burge — bank pool
Billy Joss West Stroud – banks and one pocket
Billy Weir
Black Iceman from LA — one pocket
Black Nate Colbert — banks
Bob Black Bart, Bob Ogburn — one pocket and banks
Bobby Hunter — one pocket
Brooklyn Charlie — one pocket
Bruce One Pocket Ghost Perri — one pocket
Bud Harris — one pocket
Cadillac Dave Piona
California John Mc Cue — one pocket and banks
California Shorty — banks
Cecil Rifleman, Buddy Hall — banks
Cecil The Left Duke Tugwell — one pocket and banks
Champagne Eddie Kelly — tournaments only — Vegas & Richmond Ky, One pocket and 9 ball
Charles Country Monroe — one pocket
Charles Low Down Dirty Preacher Red Jones — one pocket
Charles Rosie Rosenblatt — one pocket
Charlie left handed from Ky. Jones — one pocket and banks
Charlie the Ape — bar pool
Chicago Paul Jones — one pocket and straight pool
Chris Gentile – one pocket and banks
Chris MacDonald — one pocket
Chubby Chino, Chicago Chino — 8 ball
Chuey Rivera — 8 ball
Cletus (Capitol Billiards, Detroit ) — one pocket
Cliff Spotmaster Joyner — one pocket and banks
Clyde Childress — banks

From just this part of the list I see a lot of names that Freddy could never have beaten including mine.

I still like Freddie. He is a real character but if he thinks he ever beat me playing anything he is dreaming. Ask Incardona, Grady or some of the other players that post.

Bill Stroud

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
Inquiring minds are confused now

Inquiring minds are confused now

bstroud said:
From just this part of the list I see a lot of names that Freddy could never have beaten including mine.

I still like Freddie. He is a real character but if he thinks he ever beat me playing anything he is dreaming. Ask Incardona, Grady or some of the other players that post.

Bill Stroud

Bill,
I have two questions.....

#1. "...could never have beaten".......How in the heck would or could you know who all Fred (or anybody else, really) beat in their whole playing career? Unless you specifically kept track of or recorded each match result at the time it was played, or was an eye witness to every match up, how could you know that Fred "could never have beaten" _________________(fill in the blank). That seems like a pretty unsubstantiatable statement for anyone to make about someone else's playing career.

#2. That infamous beat list has been posted for several years now. It's been analyzed much like the Zapruder film. :D If any of the fellas on his list wanted to contest the result, they could have simply logged in and said so. Much like you were able to. But as far as I know, none of the big guns listed on his list ever disputed what was written.

This is not an attack on you any more than your post was an attack on Fred. I'm just curious about how you (or anybody else) could ever back up a statement basically saying they know 100% for certain who ever beat who. Unless, of course, every match up was witnessed.

bstroud

Verified Member
Terry Ardeno said:
Bill,

#1. "...could never have beaten".......How in the heck would or could you know who all Fred (or anybody else, really) beat in their whole playing career? Unless you specifically kept track of or recorded each match result at the time it was played, or was an eye witness to every match up, how could you know that Fred "could never have beaten" _________________(fill in the blank). That seems like a pretty unsubstantiatable statement for anyone to make about someone else's playing career.

#2. That infamous beat list has been posted for several years now. It's been analyzed much like the Zapruder film. :D If any of the fellas on his list wanted to contest the result, they could have simply logged in and said so. Much like you were able to. But as far as I know, none of the big guns listed on his list ever disputed what was written.

This is not an attack on you any more than your post was an attack on Fred. I'm just curious about how you (or anybody else) could ever back up a statement basically saying they know 100% for certain who ever beat who. Unless, of course, every match up was witnessed.

Terry,

Freddy has a great imagination. To make claims like he has about beating everyone on that list is just wishfull thinking. Just ask a few of the other players on that list and you will find out for yourself.

I know Freddy's game very well. He simply never had the ability to beat several players on this short list playing EVEN. Perhaps with a spot but he doesn't stipulate.

He for sure never beat me playing anything EVEN or anyway else and I resent him claiming that he did. If he fabricated about ME he probably did about others as well. Most of those guys never post.

Bill Stroud

akrick

Verified Member
what makes a legennd?

what makes a legennd?

My tap tap tap was to Terry's post.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
bstroud said:
Terry,

Freddy has a great imagination. To make claims like he has about beating everyone on that list is just wishfull thinking. Just ask a few of the other players on that list and you will find out for yourself.

I know Freddy's game very well. He simply never had the ability to beat several players on this short list playing EVEN. Perhaps with a spot but he doesn't stipulate.

He for sure never beat me playing anything EVEN or anyway else and I resent him claiming that he did. If he fabricated about ME he probably did about others as well. Most of those guys never post.

Bill Stroud

I see unknown players beat top pros many times in tournaments. I don't think "the list" was who he has a overall win percentage against, but to say at some point in his life, he has beaten them playing even at least once. Whether he drew them in a tournament, or played a race to 2 or caught them when they were up for 4 days or after they had a fight with their girl or if they were playing in a hurry because they had to take a dump bad:)

I'm sure anyone putting up a "beat list" is going to take heat for it at some point, but for myself, I put the whole thing in perspective and tend to look at it more as a conversation piece, then a gauge on how well someone plays.

After all, I think we can all agree ANYONE can be beat by most ANYONE on any given day.

As everyone can see though, as a conversation piece, it fulfilling that area:D

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I'm REALLY curious!

I'm REALLY curious!

Intelligent minds want to know! What happened to the self appointed, "Forum Police" - "The Duck" - on all this recent bragging goin on?
What's wrong, YJ bottle got your tounge?

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
CaliRed said:
I'm sure anyone putting up a "beat list" is going to take heat for it at some point, but for myself, I put the whole thing in perspective and tend to look at it more as a conversation piece.:D

As a conversation piece it's amusing. As for putting up "beat list" I.E. "The three amigos" anyone who does that has an ego that's comical to me.:p :D
Rod.
PS,I have a rather extensive "beaten by" list, but my ego won't allow me to publish it. ;)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
mr3cushion said:
Intelligent minds want to know! What happened to the self appointed, "Forum Police" - "The Duck" - on all this recent bragging goin on?
What's wrong, YJ bottle got your tounge?

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Had 'intelligent minds' [sic] been keeping up, they would have seen I have chastised Mr. Stroud several times re; his shameless brag....I just gave up responding to idotic, senseless posts, like yours always are..:cool:

There is not enough YJ in the world...to make your blathering tolerable...:eek:

Last edited:

Matt_24

Verified Member
Terry Ardeno said:
Bill,

Terry,

Personally, I think that Bill is probably fairly accurate in his assessment.

None of the guys on Freddy's "beat" list have ANY reason to invalidate his claims. Why?

A. Because they are friends with Freddy.

B. Freddy does have a ton of knowledge and experience and selling this knowledge/his stories/his character in general, is his livelihood. It's just like w/ gambling - they aren't going to knock his action.

C. To be on his "beat" list might get them better/easier action (possibly..doubtful but it doesn't hurt).

Hey - I've purchased Freddy's book, etc..and it's great. I love his involvement on the forums, his commentaries on accu-stats, etc. But, like with anyone else, I take everything "anyone" says with a grain of salt and not gospel.

That is my opinion on the matter.

Matt

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
SJDinPHX said:
Had 'intelligent minds' [sic] been keeping up, they would have seen I have chastised Mr. Stroud several times re; his shameless brag....I just gave up responding to idotic, senseless posts, like yours always are..:cool:

There is not enough YJ in the world...to make your blathering tolerable...:eek:

You call what you've done in the past to Mr. Stroud chastising, the weak dripple really seemed more like "nuthuggin" to me, and I'm sure to many others. Looks to me like you pick and choose your spots, probly the same way you made games your whole life.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
mr3cushion said:
You call what you've done in the past to Mr. Stoud chastising, the weak dripple really seemed more like "nuthuggin" to me, and I'm sure to many others. Looks to me like you pick and choose your spots, probly the same way you made games your whole life.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Hardly worth my time responding to...But I did notice, about the only thing you spelled correctly, was your self-appointed nick-name...:eek:

"Mr.One Pocket" Duck (two can play that game...:cool:)

bstroud

Verified Member
Dick,

I really don't understand why you contend that I was a nut hunter?

The fact that I played many good players EVEN like Miz (9 ball, 1 pocket)
Hopkins (1 pocket) Sigel (1 pocket) Sweet (9 ball) Spathe (1 pocket)
Florence (9 ball) Roberts (9 ball) Marvin Henderson (1 pocket) plus many others and bet my own money hardly makes me a nut hunter.

Perhaps it's the fact that I managed my money better than most?

Bill Stroud

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
bstroud said:
Dick,

Bill Stroud

Sometimes it gets a little hard to follow the posting, but Dick didn't call you a nut hunter or a nut hugger in this thread.:confused:

For whatever that is worth

SJDinPHX

Suspended
bstroud said:
Dick,

The fact that I played many good players EVEN like Miz (9 ball, 1 pocket)
Hopkins (1 pocket) Sigel (1 pocket) Sweet (9 ball) Spathe (1 pocket)
Florence (9 ball) Roberts (9 ball) Marvin Henderson (1 pocket) plus many others and bet my own money hardly makes me a nut hunter.

Perhaps it's the fact that I managed my money better than most?

Bill Stroud

Bill,

You are confused !.......As usual when he (Mr.3cushion) butts in,...He creates confusion. He is mentally and literally challenged...Just re-read the posts, and tell me where I called you a "nuthunter"

PS... You have made his day, by getting confused...Its very sad, but its ALL he has to look forward too...:rolleyes: Thankfully, he has kept his "butting in" to a minimum lately..:cool:

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Mr. Stroud, I was not referring to you as a "Nuthunter", only to "The Duck" for "Nuthuggin", on you, as in, kissin ASS.
The guy who lives in YJ botttle is more likely to be confused!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

http://mr3cushion.com

SJDinPHX

Suspended
mr3cushion said:
Mr. Stroud, I was not referring to you as a "Nuthunter", only to "The Duck" for "Nuthuggin", on you, as in, kissin ASS.
The guy who lives in YJ botttle is more likely to be confused!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

http://mr3cushion.com

Please refer to post #76...Thank you..:rolleyes:

(some people just never get it...do they ?)

bstroud

Verified Member
Freddy

Freddy

Just so no one gets the wrong idea. Freddy and I have been friends for years and will remain friends until one of us dies.

I just wish I could convey all the comic relief he brought to any pool room he was in. I still laugh out loud every time I think of those moments.

Between Freddy, Fats, Cosmo and Omaha I got in enough chuckles to last a lifetime. Pool rooms today are boring by comparison. No one has any stories to tell and most of the players walk around like they are in some sort of trance.
Where did all the humor go?

Bill Stroud

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
bstroud said:
Just so no one gets the wrong idea. Freddy and I have been friends for years and will remain friends until one of us dies.

Where did all the humor go?

Bill Stroud

Well then, if you can say what you did below, to Freddy, in front of all of us here and you guys can remain friends, then I see no reason why Freddy and Dick can't be friends.:D

bill stroud said:

Bill Stroud