One Pocket Break

bluekckid

My aiming point in one pocket break is,i try to interface the cue ball. with the second ball. in the stack with inside english. just like a straight in shot, in doing so you automatically catch the edge of head ball.this maybe helpful for your reference.new to one pocket,what are your thoughts.i know tables,cloth,humidity,practice, speed of break, are factors but whats your aiming point. Thanks in advance. HAPPY HITTIN! :) i think ive read this in a one pocket book.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
That works if you aren't close to the side cushion, right? Maybe 6 inches off the side cushion? One problem I see with that is, how do you adjust for table differences, like the corner ball leaking out? Another thing I don't like about it is that the center of an object ball isn't that easy to see -- it's not actually clearly defined like the edge of a ball is. The edge of the head ball is more defined, IMO.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Split Hit

Split Hit

The term, Split Hit, was good enough for the champions of yore, where I first learned to hit the first and second ball at the same time with inside english. I think you guys are saying the same thing but using other words. Am I right or am I missing something?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
hemicudas said:
The term, Split Hit, was good enough for the champions of yore, where I first learned to hit the first and second ball at the same time with inside english. I think you guys are saying the same thing but using other words. Am I right or am I missing something?
Same thing :) just different aiming method in terms of what you're actually looking at on your final stroke -- the edge of the head ball, or the center of the second ball. In practice, though, on a good One Pocket break, wouldn't you say the head ball actually gets clipped a split second before the second ball? A true split hit would be a pretty agressive break -- awfully close to missing the head ball! Of course, we're splitting hairs :) :)

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
NH Steve said:
Of course, we're splitting hairs :) :)
"Splitting Hairs" about a "Split Hit", Steve? Bob Hope is turning in his grave. Even he wouldn't have stolen that one.

Yea, that is what I thought. I was taught and have found to be true, that if you missed the split hit it was much better to hit the head ball first. A full hit on the second ball is subject to make your next trip to the table be as a rack boy.

Last edited: