Hollywood Jack 1P Tourny July 3-4 in L.A.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
SJDinPHX said:
Not weird at all Trigger...It just shows that you appreciate, that one pocket is a multi-dimensional game. Granted, it may seem (to the uninitiated) to be mostly a defensive struggle,...but when played at its higher level,...it calls on every skill set, one could have in ANY of the pocket billiard games.
Banking, ball running, safety play, out-maneuvering, and pin point cue ball control, are all necessary to learn, in order to become the best player that you can be.
There are some very skilled player's (like Strickland and Archer), who just dislike, and refuse to learn, or promote the game. I would bet. as their rotation skills diminish, they will find it more attractive.

It's still the old "Checkers/Chess comparison, some guys just don't like to strain their brain.

You obviously have a brain...Good luck in learning the greatest game of all.
in all serious ness this description of 1p should be put where it can get referenced.jmho:)

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
One Pocket Ghost said:
Welcome aboard Melissa!...

We'll accept your being in the 14.1 league, as long as you're only doing it to help you to run more balls when you're playing the ultimate pool game - ONE POCKET...:cool:....:)

- Ghost

PS, You need to get one of my One Pocket T-shirts, so you can represent for One Pocket down there...:)
And all this time I thought her name was Melinda

bernie p

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Not weird at all Trigger...It just shows that you appreciate, that one pocket is a multi-dimensional game. Granted, it may seem (to the uninitiated) to be mostly a defensive struggle,...but when played at its higher level,...it calls on every skill set, one could have in ANY of the pocket billiard games.
Banking, ball running, safety play, out-maneuvering, and pin point cue ball control, are all necessary to learn, in order to become the best player that you can be.
There are some very skilled player's (like Strickland and Archer), who just dislike, and refuse to learn, or promote the game. I would bet. as their rotation skills diminish, they will find it more attractive.

It's still the old "Checkers/Chess comparison, some guys just don't like to strain their brain.

SJD,

Good to see you taking a (well earned) break from berating our beloved Chicago IP brethren :D ......... and sharing your insightful one pocket profundity.

Keep it comin'.

(Maybe we'll see you at this weekends Preacher Ronn tourney).

Bernie.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Frank Almanza said:
And all this time I thought her name was Melinda

Oop's....good catch Frank...I corrected it in my post...maybe you can delete your post for me, before Melinda sees it...:)

- Thanks, Ghost

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Thanks, (I think)

Thanks, (I think)

bernie p said:
SJD,

Good to see you taking a (well earned) break from berating our beloved Chicago IP brethren :D ......... and sharing your insightful one pocket profundity.

Keep it comin'.

(Maybe we'll see you at this weekends Preacher Ronn tourney).

Bernie.

Not looking good, at present...PM sent.

Bernie,...Don't go by your initials (BP) anywhere around the Gulf Coast. They are looking to hang anyone with a british accent anyway:eek:
But you will be safe if you go to Doc's Tournament, Most of those guys never watch the news..;)

PS..Did not mean to make light of the "spill" Doc, Vapros, and anybody else...It is sickening to watch it unfold... I don't know, (or care) who's to blame. Our dependancy on oil, and the greed of ALL the oil companies, probably were the two main catalyst's.

My thoughts, are only of the lives affected by it, and wonder if there is enough money in the world, to compensate all those good, hard working people. It really sucks, big time, especially so soon after Katrina. An unGodly cruel, bad roll.

Last edited:

akatrigger

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Oop's....good catch Frank...I corrected it in my post...maybe you can delete your post for me, before Melinda sees it...:)

- Thanks, Ghost

I saw it, no biggie. I've been called worse. :)

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
SJDinPHX said:
Not weird at all Trigger...It just shows that you appreciate, that one pocket is a multi-dimensional game. Granted, it may seem (to the uninitiated) to be mostly a defensive struggle,...but when played at its higher level,...it calls on every skill set, one would need in any/all other disciplines.

It's still the old "Checkers/Chess" comparison, some guys just don't like to strain their brain.

and if anyone thinks she's not serious about loving the game... here is a excerpt from her blog, in which she is describing her love for the game:)

You can check out her blog at http://pooljourney.blogspot.com/

But, I just love the game so much. Is it showing with my words at all just how much I love the intrinsicalities of the game? So many options, choices, decisions. So many amazing shots can lead to a great safe or a wonderful bank. There are SO many things one must consider at once, on every single shot. Just typing this blog entry is causing my heart rate to go up because I'm so excited just thinking about it. :)

Seven games doesn't seem like much, but it was several hours of pure enjoyment, fun, awe, and happiness. Executing multi-faceted shots is pure joy; playing safe in the stack is wickedly fun; cinching a bank shot is exhilarating when you need only one ball left; .... I could go on and on. :)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
SJDinPHX said:
Bernie,...Don't go by your initials (BP) anywhere around the Gulf Coast. They are looking to hang anyone with a british accent anyway:eek: But you will be safe if you go to Doc's Tournament, Most of those guys never watch the news..;)
Actually many of the locals HAVE to watch the news, since they haven't had enough education to be able to READ the news.;)

The oil leak is not affecting us in Mississippi in terms of damage to the coast. The problem is that it has, and will, have a significant impact on commerce. The most immediate effect is on the seafood industry. Other businesses fall in line after that.

In actual fact we probably won't get any oil on our beaches due to the barrier islands. Everything on the Mississippi Riviera looks just fine. Keep in mind, none of this crap would ever happen if the U.S. government would simply allow the companies to drill ON LAND.

This subject has hijacked the thread enough. SO-- I'd love to have Bernie come down for the Surber Memorial 1P tourny. He could easily win a couple thou'. I'm surprised that no one from the entire state of Arizona has signed up yet! Are y'all becoming a little provincial??;) These 1P handicapped events with nice purses are very few and far between.

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Smoooooth !!!

Smoooooth !!!

Demonrho,

You have to admit, this has been one of the smoothest hi-jackings... ever ! ... Only took 6 or 8 posts, before it wandered off...It went from the Huntington Beach bars,... to the oil spill in the Gulf....'sup wi' dat ? :rolleyes:...(I'm going for a new "hi-jack speed record", on RBL's next post)..:D

I would really like to make it over there for one of those event's, but, alas, it won't be this one.

Last edited:

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
akatrigger said:
...BTW, for those in the L.A. area, Sylver will be going to this tournament again this year.

Cool. And remember folks, the Hollywood Jack Memorial One Pocket Tournament will be held at Hardtimes in beautiful downtown Bellflower, CA, this coming 4th of July weekend.

jay helfert

Verified Member
Shaping up to be a good tournament. Come on down and enjoy all the action! ;)
HARD TIMES!

jay helfert

Verified Member
usblues said:
Thanks for the tip AKA,you dont happen to live in the Long Beach area do you?Curious if a pool hall on Ocean Blvd is still there,about 20-25 tables and a small bar with 16' ceilings and sky-lites......cheers,Bob

Yankee Doodles is still there!

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Around L.B...

Around L.B...

Jay,you sure get around,thats good news,am glad to hear its still there.Hope to return one day and good luck this weekend at Hardtimes,Bob

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
SJDinPHX said:

Thanks SJD. And here is a quote from the Honorable Jay Helfert who will be presiding:

"It will be on July 3-4, beginning at Noon each day. Players meeting and draw is at 11 AM. The entry fee is $75 and we are limiting the field to the first 64 players. You can guarantee your spot by signing up in advance at Hard Times. They are generously adding $2,000 to the purse. I will be running the event for them.

All matches are a Race To Three, Double Elimination. First prize should be about $1,000 or more, depending on the size of the field. This is an annual event for all the best One Pocket players in the Southwest, so come on down if you like this game and want to see some good players in action. Many motels nearby and inexpensive. "

akatrigger

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Thanks, Ghost

Now you are just playing with me... you called me Melissa on the thread over on AZB about the Wisconsin tourney. :p