ROBERT NEWKIRK ...... CHAMPION 2nd ANUAL 1P TOURNEY

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Robert is the "ironman" and in addition he is the new age Lazarus. Many of his matches were come from behind wins. He came back from the dead more times than Boris Karloff or Bela Lugosi.

One other thing I would like to point out about this guy. This is something we can all learn from Robert. He has the unique ability to screw up a shot, butcher it with head scratching perplexity, and follow it up with an equally fine shot. His self belief is not shaken. He can laugh it off and immediately move on to the next shot. He has put that last shot out of his mind and is solely focused on the present task. I've never seen anyone do that better than Robert Newkirk.

Congratulations Robert Newkirk. And I congratulate Jim T. for his fine second place showing too. He played a lot of pool this week and he had to play continuously, match after match that final day. He must have been exhausted toward the end.

I look forward to seeing you both and all the other members at OP.org's next event.

BTW, Well done to Steve, Matt, Liz, Zack, John, Bill, and all the rest of you who contributed so much of themselves to make this event such a success.
And Hats off to the staff of Chris's Billiards. Buddy is aces, Dave too, and you too Spiro. Thanks to you all. :):):)

Tom

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Way to go Robert, well deserved win. You are tough as nails through the whole set never giving up. I learned a lot from you.

Dave

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Robert is the kind of guy I lose thousands too. Quiet, unassuming, easy going, and looks like a hustler of sheets and bedclothes at Macy's. Watching him play while screwing up the stream, I was impressed with his wins. Congratulations Robert. You da man.:cool:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Absolutely!

Great shooting Robert! Not only a heck of a one pocket player but also a heck of a nice guy! I hope to see you, Warren and the rest of the Texas crew at the next event...

chicagomike

Verified Member
Well done Robert...you played great! I love watching you and JTompilot battle it out. I think if there was a Louie Roberts award you would also be a top contender for that!!!

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
It was a pleasure watching you work Robert. We can all take a lesson from your table demeanor and excellent play. Well i guess some of us did...lol You never give up and have fun. Congratulations on the win!

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Congrats Robert. Watching you play, never giving up, laughing at adversity, and always striving forward was inspirational and very enjoyable.

Talking to you was was equally so. You are a gentleman and an example to all degenerate:lol pool hustllers.

Good luck to you.

Darrell:)

youngstown

Verified Member
ROBERT NEWKIRK ...... CHAMPION 2nd ANUAL 1P TOURNEY

Congrats! (Every time I saw him he was smiling like the Joker.)

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
I learned one thing about Robert he loves to play ,win or lose ,always laughing no quit in him ,the longer the better he plays.Well deserved, Jtompilot deserves a round of applause, he played great also. California next year Hendy's home grounds and Frank DaBarber.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Congratulations Bob, What has been said about you in regard to your ability to be resilient is true, you have a way about yourself to not allow a mistake in judgement or execution bother you and that's to be envied. I watched pretty much of the final match against Jim, and both you and Jim played well coming up with some pretty sporty moves, I was very impressed with your willingness to play safe when there were other offensive options that were available, must of learned that from (cough cough) someone who knew the game. Anyways enjoy your win and maybe in a few weeks if my back feels better we can lock horns, that would be great.

You take care now, you here.:D

Dr. Bill

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Robert and Jim played like champs. Jim made two shots on me that completely left we scratching my head. Under a lot of pressure facing a bunch of balls on my side he made a hero bank from distance and a kick safety that was just killer.

Robert I met for the first time and is the type of man that I would like to call my Uncle. It's official I have a man crush. You sir are now my only family member from Texas.

Well done to both. Special thx to all those who made it happen and those I met for the first time that made me feel at home. The forum is full of great guys. That was my first ever One Pocket tourney and I hope to learn more over the year and come down to take the crown (a man can dream).

baby huey

Verified Member
I have played Robert a few times and there is no quit in him. I think his personality, being such a fun loving guy, helps him when he plays so as not to get discouraged and down on himself. Pilot is cut from the same cloth. He just loves to play and enjoy himself.

Congrats to both

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I would like to congratulate Robert for his well deserved win. Robert and I gambled for 19 hours in the two days before the tournament started. That man has Heart and no quit in him. Robert is a great champion

Jim

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Here is a short synopsis of the championship match. Robert Newkirk decisively won the first two games. As a seasoned "sweater" I thought, it was quickly going to be over in four games. Yet, to my complete surprise, Jim Tomassoni won the next three games. I call it skillful determination. The 6th game and championship seemed it would go to Jim but Robert bounced back from a 6 to 2 deficit to win that game (in hindsight, Jim who had a 6 to 2 lead and ball-in-hand behind the head string should have opted to shoot the very makeable eight ball rather than to tactically cinch a ball in the jaws of Robert's pocket). Ultimately, Robert, who had the break, won the deciding game and the championship, although Jim battled every step of the way and made it a great match. So congratulations to Robert Newkirk and Jim Tomassoni who both exemplified that the game of one pocket has its many twists and turns but no one is out of a match until the last ball is made.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Here is a short synopsis of the championship match. Robert Newkirk decisively won the first two games. As a seasoned "sweater" I thought, it was quickly going to be over in four games. Yet, to my complete surprise, Jim Tomassoni won the next three games. I call it skillful determination. The 6th game and championship seemed it would go to Jim but Robert bounced back from a 6 to 2 deficit to win that game (in hindsight, Jim who had a 6 to 2 lead and ball-in-hand behind the head string should have opted to shoot the very makeable eight ball rather than to tactically cinch a ball in the jaws of Robert's pocket). Ultimately, Robert, who had the break, won the deciding game and the championship, although Jim battled every step of the way and made it a great match. So congratulations to Robert Newkirk and Jim Tomassoni who both exemplified that the game of one pocket has its many twists and turns but no one is out of a match until the last ball is made.
tap tap
nice post