Aw, Poor Chicago.

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
Dear Gentle Readers,

The subject has probably been flogged to death, but I’ve been thinking of regional differences re: one-pocket.

What nudged me onto this particular tangent was a pal from Chicago who had the temerity to suggest that his city’s pizza was not only in the same league with New York’s, but was, in fact, superior.

I’m not usually in favor of mandating overly long stays in structured settings for most people … but dementia of this nature obviously endangers the public welfare.

Deep dish?

Excuse me? Why not just suck on the Fat Hose?

California?

Granted, you introduced avocado. Thank you and shut up. (Sorry to be so rude, Chicago set me off.)

I imagine they have pizza in other states. And, that those dominions are earnest in their enthusiasms. Fine.

NYC, all boroughs, and including New Haven and parts of Jersey, outshines even Naples. In fact, especially Naples.

Want to do pizza right? Install an ancient oven that steadily churns out 1800 degrees. An oven that becomes so hot while it blisters the bottom of the crust that you have to turn it off for the month of August in order to clean it.

Think clams, then talk to me about pizza.

Where was I?

One-pocket / regional variations thereof.

I’m vaguely aware of the wedge game. Philadelphia, was it? Nick Varner? The old up-table strategy? (I actually enjoy trying to decipher the up-table game if it’s between two good players. Lesser dudes? Let Grady prevail.)

Where did the high-powered offense first emerge? I know Power One Pocket is out there and up there, but it wasn’t the genesis, was it?

Are there one-pocket havens that emphasize banks? In the South perhaps?

Did big-money matches first congregate here, there or anywhere? Perhaps money is simply everywhere.

Are there East Coast / West Coast styles of one-pocket? (Probably Chicago would raise its hand. Detroit maybe?)

Putting aside tournaments such as Johnson City, which I imagine attracted players from all over the map, what were the regional strengths and styles that shaped our game?

I would guess that Efren’s emergence added an international flavor. Kicking philosophy if nothing else. Playing amazing cue ball control. Yes? No?

Relishing apizza is my life,

Sunny

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Dear Gentle Readers,

The subject has probably been flogged to death, but I’ve been thinking of regional differences re: one-pocket.

What nudged me onto this particular tangent was a pal from Chicago who had the temerity to suggest that his city’s pizza was not only in the same league with New York’s, but was, in fact, superior.

I’m not usually in favor of mandating overly long stays in structured settings for most people … but dementia of this nature obviously endangers the public welfare.

Deep dish?

Excuse me? Why not just suck on the Fat Hose?

California?

Granted, you introduced avocado. Thank you and shut up. (Sorry to be so rude, Chicago set me off.)

I imagine they have pizza in other states. And, that those dominions are earnest in their enthusiasms. Fine.

NYC, all boroughs, and including New Haven and parts of Jersey, outshines even Naples. In fact, especially Naples.

Want to do pizza right? Install an ancient oven that steadily churns out 1800 degrees. An oven that becomes so hot while it blisters the bottom of the crust that you have to turn it off for the month of August in order to clean it.

Think clams, then talk to me about pizza.

Where was I?

One-pocket / regional variations thereof.

I’m vaguely aware of the wedge game. Philadelphia, was it? Nick Varner? The old up-table strategy? (I actually enjoy trying to decipher the up-table game if it’s between two good players. Lesser dudes? Let Grady prevail.)

Where did the high-powered offense first emerge? I know Power One Pocket is out there and up there, but it wasn’t the genesis, was it?

Are there one-pocket havens that emphasize banks? In the South perhaps?

Did big-money matches first congregate here, there or anywhere? Perhaps money is simply everywhere.

Are there East Coast / West Coast styles of one-pocket? (Probably Chicago would raise its hand. Detroit maybe?)

Putting aside tournaments such as Johnson City, which I imagine attracted players from all over the map, what were the regional strengths and styles that shaped our game?

I would guess that Efren’s emergence added an international flavor. Kicking philosophy if nothing else. Playing amazing cue ball control. Yes? No?

Relishing apizza is my life,

Sunny

As far as, "Chicago" style pizza, deep dish is far from the norm! It's just a different pizza, that's all! The "Original" pizza of Chicago is "Thin Crust," always has been!

About, "Power One Pocket,"
nothing new there! that style of one pocket has ben played since the 60's! The BEST players of that era and style were, Ronnie Allen, Eddie Taylor and Bugs! I would probably throw in, Harold Worst too, but He wasn't with us long enough.

P.S. You wouldn't dare bring up the subject of, "Chicago v NYC" pizza if Freddy was still with us!
:):):)

Last edited:

3RAILKICK

Verified Member
Fats says he was the original 8 and out practioner

Fats says he was the original 8 and out practioner

with his superior banking and kicking skills, well before the 60's. At least that is what I just read.

Fat's said it so, it must be.:D:D:D

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Pizza

Pizza

Chicago thin crust pizza with sausage is the best. The Beard took me to one of his favorites, Beggars Pizza, not too far from Red Shoes pool room.

I might go back just for the food, and they do play a little one pocket there.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... What nudged me onto this particular tangent was a pal from Chicago who had the temerity to suggest that his city’s pizza was not only in the same league with New York’s, but was, in fact, superior. ...

... Where did the high-powered offense first emerge? I know Power One Pocket is out there and up there, but it wasn’t the genesis, was it?

Sunny
There is evidently a reason that Chicago is called "the second city". Perhaps pizza is the reason?;) I'll refrain from judging since I've never eaten pizza in Chicago (at least that I recall). Although it's tough to imagine that any locale could outdo NYC for pizza. It's ubiquitous and delicious.

Ronnie Allen would have to be the one responsible for spreading the aggressive offense game in the U.S. He took his style to every corner of the country at a time when more players were looking at its potential as a gambling game. And he played everyone (except Artie).

~Doc

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Aw, Poor Chicago.

Deleted out of respect. Just not my cup of tea. No need for my rudeness. My apologies.

Last edited:

keoneyo

Verified Member
I have a place in NY and am there often. The snooty nose upper middle class love JOHNS PIZZA. Yeah if you like being treated like crap. They think they are serving you gold from King Tuts Caverns.
Cant compare to Unos or Du'es. I love NY but Deep Dish could give them 2 balls and the break.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
NY, NY. They always claim they have the best food, not just pizza. Well, they must not have been to New Orleans. As far as just pizza goes NY and Chicago play even. In one pocket, Chicago is giving 9/7, 10/7

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
All they got in the Midwest is Wisconsin cheese & great tomatoes....Sooooooooooooooooooo if ya can make a great crust, the ingredients are at your fingertips.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Theres a place in Lexington Kentucky that has the best pizza anywhere. Right next to the U of K. Go Cats.:lol
It is worth the drive from Louisville to Lexington, having made the trip many times.
Best Coast one pocket is a Ronnie Allen phenomena. :cool:
One and duck, Chicago.:frus
Banks, Kentucky and further south.
Eight ball, Lite Beer commercials.
And thats the truth.:eek:

I find that those of you that think implying drug use and your need to denigrate others is a manifestation of your own lack of intellectual prowess.
Look in the "stickies" under respect.

TomRoden

Verified Member
Best Pizza I've Ever Eaten

Best Pizza I've Ever Eaten

Caserta's on Federal Hill, Providence, R.I.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Theres a place in Lexington Kentucky that has the best pizza anywhere. Right next to the U of K. Go Cats.:lol
It is worth the drive from Louisville to Lexington, having made the trip many times.
Best Coast one pocket is a Ronnie Allen phenomena. :cool:
One and duck, Chicago.:frus
Banks, Kentucky and further south.
Eight ball, Lite Beer commercials.
And thats the truth.:eek:

I find that those of you that think implying drug use and your need to denigrate others is a manifestation of your own lack of intellectual prowess.
Look in the "stickies" under respect.

What's the name of the place in Lexington? Headed up there in a week.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I have been to Chicago three times in the past year. The food is ****ing tops, no question. I am a gardener and a foodie, and I follow the food scene pretty closely. Chicago is by far my favorite big city for food, over and above San Francisco and NYC. The downtown is gorgeous, so much to see and do. Dunno bout that greasy pizza, though...

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I have been to Chicago three times in the past year. The food is ****ing tops, no question. I am a gardener and a foodie, and I follow the food scene pretty closely. Chicago is by far my favorite big city for food, over and above San Francisco and NYC. The downtown is gorgeous, so much to see and do. Dunno bout that greasy pizza, though...

You just haven't been steered to the right spots for pizza, that's all! Like in every city, there's "Tom' & "George'' spots for any type of food and drink! ;)

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

There are great places in San Francisco but the really good food is in Santa Cruz because of all the Monterey Bay tourism.. Joe Bolonga's, joebolognas.com Lexington, Ky.