Why did i quit

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
Hello Tall Jeff! Why did I quit? That's a good question actually. It was a combination of things that made me give it up so early. Having to play guys like you occasionally had a lot to do with it LOL. Just wasn't easy finding a decent game and hustling clubs and bars was very dangerous when taking somebody's paycheck. You should know, LOL. I didn't want to wind up like Paul Newman with broken hands in some back alley, LOL, REALLY! It was kind of a relief when I started working for a living, I didn't have worry about having a chicken leg if I missed my next shot, LOL. Believe me there was too many times in pool rooms every where that I had to win to get that chicken leg, LOL. I guess that's why I stayed skinny, haha, LOL. I've worked on a book the last 2 years and have a rough draft close to completion but seriously I need to get my butt moving on it or i'll be reading it in a nursing home, LOL. I did build a new home in Madison County TX. during this time so I do have a little excuse for not completing it but I should have written it long ago. Someone told me it wouldn't make any money so I never bothered until I didn't need the money. Now it's a time thing! Can I get it published before I croak,LOL.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
You were born in what, 1952, 53? You gotta be around 62 huh?
About 10 years younger than I am. You should give it a try again Keith, Rodney is older than our ages combined and he still plays everyday! And last I heard he still plays very good. Sorry Rod, I've become a knocker in my old age. You don't need the money anyway, just look at all you've saved over the years by not having any leaks, save the beer you drink.
Anyway Keith, it's great to hear from you.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
You were born in what, 1952, 53? You gotta be around 62 huh?
About 10 years younger than I am. You should give it a try again Keith, Rodney is older than our ages combined and he still plays everyday! And last I heard he still plays very good. Sorry Rod, I've become a knocker in my old age. You don't need the money anyway, just look at all you've saved over the years by not having any leaks, save the beer you drink.
Anyway Keith, it's great to hear from you.

Jeff
I'll give you a new screen name "onepocketknocker"

Just kidding, :) I love the compliments, keep'em coming.

Keith, he's correct, you can still play.

Jeff, I know you can play also if your health is good. I hope it is.
Rod.

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
Playing again

Playing again

HELLO RODNEY! I actually had a new cue made just about 2 years by Richard Black of my own design and plan on taking it on my book tour if I get ofF my butt and finish the book. I played a little with it for the first time last month at Legends for about 45 minutes and hit the balls pretty decent. But I have a lot of things on my bucket list to do so returning to competitive play is not high on my list but could be reasonable with some regular practice and a custom pair of glasses,LOL. I read on post somewhere James Cristopher was working at Bogies in Houston, is that correct. I have some business in Spring Friday and may stop in there and see him. Would sure enjoy seeing you and jeff sometime. I visited with Buddy Hall at Legends last month for about 30 minutes and enjoyed seeing him. Played him twice in my short career. Tried to trap him in Johnston City playing even one pocket in 1970 but he didn't bite. Played him some even nine ball in Pasadena in 71 and played as well as I could for about 4 hours, got him 10 games loser at 25 a game but couldn't hold it, missed one ball in 4 hours. That match is in my book! I also would rather have a tooth pulled than play him any more 9 ball just like Tall Jeff, LOL. I never played Tall Jeff even nine ball either and would rather serve time in the penal system rather than play him nineball, LOL. If I had every thing completed on my new place here in Madisonville I might start playing with some regularity but it's not high on my list. Wanted to put me a gold crown in my house but not enough room, should have built the house bigger! By the way Jeff I will be 63 on the 22nd of May. You beat me 4 straight games at 20 a game at LeCue even one pocket and busted me in 71, I don't think I made one ball in that match, You took advantage of an innocent young kid, LOL.

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
So, I'm $80.00 winner! Well old sport, that's the way it's going to stay. I'm past it, cant hit water from a boat! But I'd really like to come watch you play sometime and pick up a copy of your new book. James C. is at Bogies East I think, I'm sure Rod knows. Hope to see you play again.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
So, I'm $80.00 winner! Well old sport, that's the way it's going to stay. I'm past it, cant hit water from a boat! But I'd really like to come watch you play sometime and pick up a copy of your new book. James C. is at Bogies East I think, I'm sure Rod knows. Hope to see you play again.

Bogies West they call it, on Jones rd. between hwy 290 and FM 1960, just past West rd. from hwy 290. James is working days, for something to do. He plays sometimes. He plays a trucker that spots me, I believe the guy spots him also. I'd guess James is 69, seems in good shape.
Rod.