Cornbread vs. Bugs 1991 Legends of One Pocket

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
This is from game 6. Red is up 3-2, going to 5, and 2-1 in balls this game. He has the lower right-hand pocket, as you view the screen. What would you do?

P.S. I've seen him shoot this shot countless times.

Red's Shot 3.Jpeg

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
No doubt he hit the ball on the long rail, going rail first and sending the CB two rails back to the area it is in now. The ball he hit (2 ball?) rolls slowly to the middle of the short rail. Nothing else is moved.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Two rail that solid ball straight ahead to the 14 ball and draw the cue a ball to protect the 14 ball or for another turn in case the 14 falls? Or maybe cross banking that solid and taking the 14 ball out at the same time?
In either case I believe whatever he did it was with that solid.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
vapros said:
No doubt he hit the ball on the long rail, going rail first and sending the CB two rails back to the area it is in now. The ball he hit (2 ball?) rolls slowly to the middle of the short rail. Nothing else is moved.

Vapros, I like that shot. I probably wouldn't have thought of it from there.
I often shoot it when closer to the pocket. The rails are usually a balls width, so it's fairly easy to find your target for the kick shot.;)
Rod.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Frank Almanza said:
Two rail that solid ball straight ahead to the 14 ball and draw the cue a ball to protect the 14 ball or for another turn in case the 14 falls? Or maybe cross banking that solid and taking the 14 ball out at the same time?
im sure dennis would not be trying to steer us into circus shots the way he phrased his question:eek: so
i agree with you frank
or there is a small window to do a variation of ghosts kick
2 rail the q into the 14 moving/making it towards/in reds pocket and taking out the solid with the q as it comes up table after the kick.
this shot the way its laid here leaves too little control over what will happen with the q and solid ball so i for sure wouldnt shoot it.
vapros your shot is a good one but from dennis's tone of the post i think red did something more aggressive.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
androd said:
Vapros, I like that shot. I probably wouldn't have thought of it from there.
I often shoot it when closer to the pocket. The rails are usually a balls width, so it's fairly easy to find your target for the kick shot.;)
Rod.
Yeah, now that I read the suggestion, that shot does look pretty simple to execute and reasonably safe. It doesn't advance your condition much -- although it does remove the "ball up" from the "ball up and ball down" situation Bugs now has in place around his pocket. Red also could bank the stripe ball on the bottom rail into the solid on the side rail and leave the cue ball below the stack. That should remove them both, but it could leave Bugs some kind of long straight back on one of those balls, depending on how they land.

Leaving the cue ball below the stack might invite an "uptable" game, and Red might figure Bugs is the favorite at that. Red might like his chances maneuvering around the stack vs Bugs better than in an uptable game.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Frank Almanza said:
I like your first choice, Frank. Although if the 14 were a little further away from the pocket, I'd want to bank the 14 into the solid to clear them both out. But in this case cutting the bank enough to miss the kiss might simply two-rail the 14 out of there.

Maybe a better variation would be to shoot the solid one-rail into the 14 and hope to take them both outta there. CB control would be essential for that one!

Doc

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
from your diagram with the arrows
how red would be sure the solid as it came up table wouldnt kiss the q is why red is red.:) couldnt find the emoticom for
OH MY GOD DID YOU SEE THAT!!!!:eek:
Larry,

That's the only shot of Red's that I would call a "signature shot". I've seen him shoot it many times and I never quite understood how he could see it so well. I've never even shot it once, that I recall.

Dennis

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Sorry, but with all due respect to Red, who of course was a champion player, and who I also knew...

...I'm not one of these people who give any pros or champions 'miracle worker status'.....Larry, you worship-exempted Red from any possible kiss in that layout...wrong - as Red's executed shot is depicted, there's a very possible kiss - for anybody....and that shot is no great shot, it's just a basic attempted two ball take-out shot - and not a predictable one either...look at Dennis' pic showing the result - Red didn't know where the balls were going to end up - if the 2ball had ended up a couple of inches to the right, Bugs would have had a free straight back bank with natural shape on the 14 next, and it could have cost Red the game....so how was Red's shot a "great shot"?...sorry, but it wasn't.

- Ghost

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:
Sorry, but with all due respect to Red, who of course was a champion player, and who I also knew...

...I'm not one of these people who give any pros or champions 'miracle worker status'.....Larry, you worship-exempted Red from any possible kiss in that layout...wrong - as Red's executed shot is depicted, there's a very possible kiss - for anybody....and that shot is no great shot, it's just a basic attempted two ball take-out shot - and not a predictable one either...look at Dennis' pic showing the result - Red didn't know where the balls were going to end up - if the 2ball had ended up a couple of inches to the right, Bugs would have had a free straight back bank with natural shape on the 14 next, and it could have cost Red the game....so how was Red's shot a "great shot"?...sorry, but it wasn't.

- Ghost
Ghosty, Ghosty, Ghosty,

Since nobody replied to your critique of this shot, I will:

1. Larry never said it was a great shot, Dudley did. Dudley was correct.

2. Larry specifically mentioned the kiss in post #9 and how Red could know that he'd miss it.

3. In post #10 I tell that this is the only "signature shot" that I can recall from Red. I have seen him shoot this many times and he always hit it well. He had an eye for it and a feel for it that was uncanny.

4. Red didn't know where the balls would end up but if we never shot a shot without knowing where the balls would all end up, we'd never play a game.

5. Red knew where they wouldn't end up:by Bugs's pocket:) .

6. Red & Bugs were both past their prime in this match and Bugs wasn't exactly shooting the lights out.

7. Did you notice that Red left the cueball on the rail? That's the most important part of this shot, probably more important, to a degree, than where the two balls were going to end up.

This is not the "right" shot for many players, including me, but Red liked it and almost always struck it well making it a good shot for him. The bottom line with this shot is this: Red is saying to you "I'll put you here, if you can beat me from there then it's on me, take your best shot".

Dennis, Dennis, Dennis

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Cowboy Dennis said:
Ghosty, Ghosty, Ghosty,

2. Larry specifically mentioned the kiss in post #9 and how Red could know that he'd miss it.

3. In post #10 I tell that this is the only "signature shot" that I can recall from Red. I have seen him shoot this many times and he always hit it well. He had an eye for it and a feel for it that was uncanny.

4. Red didn't know where the balls would end up but if we never shot a shot without knowing where the balls would all end up, we'd never play a game.

6. Red & Bugs were both past their prime in this match and Bugs wasn't exactly shooting the lights out.

7. Did you notice that Red left the cueball on the rail? That's the most important part of this shot, probably more important, to a degree, than where the two balls were going to end up.

This is not the "right" shot for many players, including me, but Red liked it and almost always struck it well making it a good shot for him. The bottom line with this shot is this: Red is saying to you "I'll put you here, if you can beat me from there then it's on me, take your best shot".

Dennis, Dennis, Dennis

D, D, D, I love ya (in a strictly hetero way of course :))...but I most definitely stand by my very well considered, correct words in my previous post, 100%...

...and as for your above listed (and wrongly stated) #'s 1. & 2....go back and read my post - I never said that Larry said it was a great shot :rolleyes: I only addressed his believing that Red could without fail never get a kiss on that shot, like 'Moses parting the Red sea'...:rolleyes:.

- G, G, G

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
lll said:
from your diagram with the arrows
how red would be sure the solid as it came up table wouldnt kiss the q is why red is red.:) couldnt find the emoticom for
OH MY GOD DID YOU SEE THAT!!!!:eek:
i do see reference to god but no mention of the red sea.
being confident that there would be no kiss AND being confident to leave the q on the rail c'mon ghost give kudos where they belong. red hit one helluva shot.
the fact that dennis says red hit this shot repeatedly with similar results in similar situations (ie signature shot) means it was one that he saw natural for him. not for anyone else.
no different than taylor or bugs shooting a bank in a situation we wouldnt try because for them it was a high percentage shot.
some people walk and talk a language i find hard to understand.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Well, If you shoot this shot and stop your CB, a kiss is almost written in stone. Forcing your ball forward as Red did is a great idea and no doubt the result of experience. ;)
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Ghosty, Ghosty, Ghosty,

Dennis, Dennis, Dennis
I agree with everything that you said in your post.

Also, take a good look at the possibilities of getting a kiss , if this shot is hit well. I really think that it's difficult to get a kiss with this shot if hit well. This is a brilliant shot, and it's exactly the way Rodney said it was. No doubt, the result of experience.:D

Billy I.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
wincardona said:
I agree with everything that you said in your post.

Also, take a good look at the possibilities of getting a kiss , if this shot is hit well. I really think that it's difficult to get a kiss with this shot if hit well. This is a brilliant shot, and it's exactly the way Rodney said it was. No doubt, the result of experience.:D

Billy I.

No surprise here - the oldtimers club is sticking together (and not very cogently, I might add)...;)

Well then, in response...

I say, the kiss is looming...

And I say, it's not remotely, a brilliant shot...for one thing, anybody knows that one all-important aspect of a "brilliant shot" is that it doesn't result in leaving your opponent a shot...

And having said all that, I say, let's prove it...I'd be more than happy to bet on this shot at the DCC - you can shoot it, and if you don't get a kiss, and don't leave me a shot - you win...if you get a kiss, or you leave me a shot, I win...howsabout $20 a shot? - do I have action?....:)

- Ghost

PS, Trust me, I'm the president of the A.M.A. - I oversee, instruct, and evaluate 'doctors'...:)

Skin

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
3. I have seen him shoot this many times and he always hit it well. He had an eye for it and a feel for it that was uncanny.

I think this is the essentail element of the shot and what makes it so good. Speaking strictly as a "feel" shooter, he must have been able to intrepret the angles and guage the speed very accurately to tell when the shot was on or the kiss was on. I suspect there were times when he passed up the shot, also, because of this.

Skin