One-pocket etiquitte question...

shoutout33

Verified Member
From
DC Metro Area
Sorry for back-to-back posts like this fellas, but I felt that this needed to be completely seperate from my first post. Last Friday, I stopped by my local pool hall to catch some one-pocket action and learn a few things. Well, the two guys that were playing had a good game going on and all of the balls were bunched up between (looking from the foot of the table mind you...) the top left corner and side pocket.

Well, as one of the guys made his last ball to win the game (and the money...), he "swept" the cue ball (at least that's the terminology they used anyway...) on the table. The other gentleman who lost got upset saying that it wasn't right, "...that's not gentleman's pool..." and that he should've let the cueball stop. He felt that the cue ball might have scratched. OK first of all, the cue ball was nowhere near a pocket to scratch. Second, the ball was going sooo slow that it barely even reached the side rail in the first place.

Now, most of the guys in there that saw the match said that he shouldn't have touched the cue ball until it finished rolling...period. And in my opinion, especially if you are playing for money, I don't care if the balls are moving at .05 miles per hour, I was taught that you DON'T touch the cue ball when it's moving. Now, on the flip-side, the gentleman got and ear full from one his buddies saying that he was up and he shouldn't have lost. He told him that he let's his emotions get too him and that's what cost him the game.

Now I will admit, I was a little worried because I've never been a action match that had any type of scuffle at all, so this was new to me. Everyone that I've ever seen play for money, big or small, has always parted at least on "we're cool, good game" terms. Now, I should've known that nothing would've happended because these guys know and see each other almost everyday. But you never know. Well, my question to end this small summary is this:

Since dude touched the cue ball before it finished moving, isn't that a foul and the game would not have been over? The guy who lost should've had ball in hand behind the line and the other guy would've owned a ball...right? :confused:

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
I'd say it's poor form to grab a moving cue ball. But, if there was no chance whatsoever of scratching, the claim of foul is bogus and nitty. Sore losers look to create conflicts sometimes. If, on the other hand, there was a distinct possibility the cue ball was really headed for a pocket, then yes, a claim of foul would be reasonable. The offending player would need to spot the ball he made and one more for the penalty. Opponent would have cueball behind headsting. That's the way I see it.

Martin

shoutout33 said:
Sorry for back-to-back posts like this fellas, but I felt that this needed to be completely seperate from my first post. Last Friday, I stopped by my local pool hall to catch some one-pocket action and learn a few things. Well, the two guys that were playing had a good game going on and all of the balls were bunched up between (looking from the foot of the table mind you...) the top left corner and side pocket.

Well, as one of the guys made his last ball to win the game (and the money...), he "swept" the cue ball (at least that's the terminology they used anyway...) on the table. The other gentleman who lost got upset saying that it wasn't right, "...that's not gentleman's pool..." and that he should've let the cueball stop. He felt that the cue ball might have scratched. OK first of all, the cue ball was nowhere near a pocket to scratch. Second, the ball was going sooo slow that it barely even reached the side rail in the first place.

Now, most of the guys in there that saw the match said that he shouldn't have touched the cue ball until it finished rolling...period. And in my opinion, especially if you are playing for money, I don't care if the balls are moving at .05 miles per hour, I was taught that you DON'T touch the cue ball when it's moving. Now, on the flip-side, the gentleman got and ear full from one his buddies saying that he was up and he shouldn't have lost. He told him that he let's his emotions get too him and that's what cost him the game.

Now I will admit, I was a little worried because I've never been a action match that had any type of scuffle at all, so this was new to me. Everyone that I've ever seen play for money, big or small, has always parted at least on "we're cool, good game" terms. Now, I should've known that nothing would've happended because these guys know and see each other almost everyday. But you never know. Well, my question to end this small summary is this:

Since dude touched the cue ball before it finished moving, isn't that a foul and the game would not have been over? The guy who lost should've had ball in hand behind the line and the other guy would've owned a ball...right? :confused:

vagabond

Verified Member
From
Interstate 40/or Interstate 10
shoutout33 said:

Hi,
It is nothing to do with the issue of etiquate in pool but it is the issue with Rules/Laws.
HE BROKE THE LAW and IT IS A FOUL.
Vagabond

Troy

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
If a foul was called, the cue ball is played where it stops (NOT behind the headstring unless there was a scratch) and a ball is spotted.

The sweaters really have NO SAY in the matter.

Troy
vagabond said:
Hi,
It is nothing to do with the issue of etiquate in pool but it is the issue with Rules/Laws.
HE BROKE THE LAW and IT IS A FOUL.
Vagabond

OldHasBeen

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
$ Match vs. Tournament Play.

$ Match vs. Tournament Play.

(IMO) In a tournament, you play by the strict rules.

Playing for $ is altogether different.

If there was NO CHANCE for the cue ball to scratch - Game Over.

TY & GL

loveshiscue

Verified Member
From
Miami, Fl
OldHasBeen said:
(IMO) In a tournament, you play by the strict rules.

Playing for $ is altogether different.

If there was NO CHANCE for the cue ball to scratch - Game Over.

TY & GL

agreed. calling foul on a situation like this is just ridiculous and would encourage a fight or at the very least being legitimately being called something like a nit.