Pronounce Dennis' Last Name - Win Big Prizes!

Pronounce Dennis' Last Name - Win Big Prizes!

• Or-koi-yo

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Or-kol-ee-o

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Or-kol-o

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Some other wrong way

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Orcollo.

I say or-koi-yo (the traditional Spanish pronunciation). So far I'm winning bigly.

pj <- lied about the big prizes
chgo

El Chapo

Verified Member
Somewhere I heard the second O is pronounced like a oo or a U. Orcoo yo
Could be wrong of course.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
It's like La Jolla, California... The J becomes an H and the LL's become YY's and you add an AH to the end...
Like La Hoyyah... Go figure that out...:lol

Orcollo... The OR is just R, the Col becomes Koo, like a dove, and the Lo is changed to Yo, as in Yo Adrian... Like Dennis R-KOO-YO... Best guess... :)

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I've always heard it pronounced that way, so I voted "some other way".

OTOH, I hesitate to vote against Patrick...:D

~Doc
Helfert posted it earlier on AZ and has steadfastly maintained over the years Or-Cool-Yo is correct. As Dennis and him are close i'm just saying he would probably know...lol

Cornerman

Verified Member
From
Carlsbad, CA
Orcollo.

I say or-koi-yo (the traditional Spanish pronunciation). So far I'm winning bigly.

chgo

The problem is two-fold:

1) His name is spelled incorrectly in the US due to a passport malfunction. It's actually Orcullo

2) In the Philippines, the double L is pronounced the Castillian way (Madrid Spanish). I.e., "ly."

So, it's:

or COOL yo

And that's what Dennis told Jay, and it's consistent with Filipino pronunciation.

Freddie

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Orcollo.

chgo

Have you noticed that it's often spelled Orcullo? I don't know which is correct, or more correct, but with that spelling it would be, IMO, Or-kuee-O, so I would accept either, but none other.

You're a very smart fellow.

(Sometimes I lie about stuff too. :D )

edit: reading some of the other posts: I don't think the Castillian -- or Philipino -- way would contain an "L" sound at all (but I was wrong once in 1964 and haven't gotten over it YET! ) :p

Last edited:

Cornerman

Verified Member
From
Carlsbad, CA

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The problem is two-fold:

1) His name is spelled incorrectly in the US due to a passport malfunction. It's actually Orcullo

2) In the Philippines, the double L is pronounced the Castillian way (Madrid Spanish). I.e., "ly."

So, it's:

or COOL yo

And that's what Dennis told Jay, and it's consistent with Filipino pronunciation.

Freddie
or cool yo
ding ding ding
we have a winner...:D
thanks freddy

sausage

Suspended
Orcollo.

chgo

YES, it drives me nuts to hear people call him Or-Coo-le-o . his name should be pronounced as you stated. it's also very frustrating to hear Efren pronounced "Efrum". and then there is Alex Pagulayan... how do they get "lion" out of this? and while we're on the subject "Mad" Max Eberly is a total misnomer. he's not even a little bit mad. just because his name rhymes with "mad" is not good enough. he should be renamed: "Mild Max" Eberly. now that's a cool name....