Your move

Skin

Verified Member
This fun problem is from Winning One-Pocket, p.121. Happened in a game betwen Al Miller and Eddie Robin (no info on who shot it). You have pocket A. The cb can't see the one ball. What's your shot/move? Solution on page 2 of the WEI booklet.

Skin

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AIWh3BPQB3CMNy3DNDY3EMFJ3FUXN3GRmL3HOsK3IMHM3JIwL3KGLM3LDRL4MUoN4NReN4OOcN3PYnl4QdOv@3AIWh3BPQB3CMNy3DNDY3EMFJ3FUXN3GRmL3HOsK3IMHM3JIwL3KGLM3LDRL4MUoN4NReN4OOcN3PYnl4QdGu3UIWh4UKrg3VPQB3VOiW3Vbmt2VKbt4VVcG3WMNy4WWrd3XNDY4XKjB3YMFJ1YEWo4YaDe3kYnl3kPYH3kLYr3kJta3kBOt@[/CUETABLE]

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Skin said:
This fun problem is from Winning One-Pocket, p.121. Happened in a game betwen Al Miller and Eddie Robin (no info on who shot it). You have pocket A. The cb can't see the one ball. What's your shot/move? Solution on page 2 of the WEI booklet.

Skin

I'll take a wild stab at it cause I gotta go. How'd I do? Or maybe I'll just look at page 2.

I just looked at page 2. I'm not leaving the house for a week now.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AIWh3BPQB3CMNy3DNDY3EMFJ3FUXN3GRmL3HOsK3IMHM3JIwL3KGLM3LDRL4MUoN4NReN4OOcN3PYnl4QdOv3UIWh4Ucpq3kYnl3kbjY3kKrg@3AIWh3BPQB3CMNy3DNDY3EMFJ3FUXN3GRmL3HOsK3IMHM3JIwL3KGLM3LDRL4MUoN4NReN4OOcN3PYnl4QdGu3UIWh4UKrg3VPQB3VOiW3Vbmt2VKbt4VVcG3WMNy4WWrd3XNDY4XKjB3YMFJ1YEWo4YaDe3kYnl3kPYH3kLYr3kJta3kBOt@[/CUETABLE]

Skin

Verified Member
I thought for sure you'd get that one, Dennis. It's your kind of shot (one that I would never see in a million years, btw). :)

Skin

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Skin said:
I thought for sure you'd get that one, Dennis. It's your kind of shot (one that I would never see in a million years, btw). :)

Skin

Skin,

You did not say that the shooter ran out. I usually look for a way to make a single ball unless otherwise specified.

I do not always remember to put those things in my layouts either. There are a lot of things to remember when making a layout.

1. labeling shooters pocket. (blackeee)

2. giving score.

3. noting a runout or just a safety or a ball pocketed.

4. showing lines for all balls in motion.

5. deleting first page text when using multiple pages, and correctly showing ball movements to end positions.

6. not having extra balls on the table for the score given.

I think we should get paid for this stuff. Of course, that would make it a job.

Dennis

Last edited:

Skin

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Skin,

You did not say that the shooter ran out. I usually look for a way to make a single ball unless otherwise specified.

I do not always remember to put those things in my layouts either. There are a lot of things to remember when making a layout.

1. labeling shooters pocket. (blackeee)

2. giving score.

3. noting a runout or just a safety or a ball pocketed.

4. showing lines for all balls in motion.

5. deleting first page text when using multiple pages, and correctly showing ball movements to end positions.

I think we should get paid for this stuff. Of course, that would make it a job.

Dennis

OK. I just wanted to keep the options open with "move/shot", but the angles are so hard to know on the WEI, it is better to specify.

Skin

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Skin said:
OK. I just wanted to keep the options open with "move/shot", but the angles are so hard to know on the WEI, it is better to specify.

Skin

It's a whale of a shot/move whether a ball was made or not. I sure would like to see the shot that came before this one. I assume the shooter almost scratched playing position.

Hey, there's a new idea. Show the show that came before your layout. Just kidding everyone. Please don't do it.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Even if I saw that shot, I would not have the cojones to hit it. I'm more conservative that that. I would hit the 2 almost in the face, driving it into the 3 and the 4, clearing that entire cluster from his side to mine. And I'd leave the rock frozen to the 1 ball. If I was feeling extra frisky, I might hit the 1 hard enough to give it a chance at my pocket.

I'm assuming that the shot shown is only for purposes of decorating a book about one-pocket. I'd like to know how many posters here would try to execute it as shown, even if they see it or have it called to their attention. Is my shot too timid? One would have to give it a pretty good rap to drive the 5 ball seventeen feet. For me - only with a death wish.

Skin

Verified Member
vapros said:
Even if I saw that shot, I would not have the cojones to hit it. I'm more conservative that that. I would hit the 2 almost in the face, driving it into the 3 and the 4, clearing that entire cluster from his side to mine. And I'd leave the rock frozen to the 1 ball. If I was feeling extra frisky, I might hit the 1 hard enough to give it a chance at my pocket.

I'm assuming that the shot shown is only for purposes of decorating a book about one-pocket. I'd like to know how many posters here would try to execute it as shown, even if they see it or have it called to their attention. Is my shot too timid? One would have to give it a pretty good rap to drive the 5 ball seventeen feet. For me - only with a death wish.

With the score 7-3 against you, I guess you'd have to shoot that if you saw it. It looks like if you hit it hard enough, you could make all 5 balls in your pocket in one stroke. Now, that would be the shot of the century. I doubt I could resist going for that if I saw it. :D

Seriously, though, I would be afraid something wouldn't come out of there right and with the cb mid-table, he'd go out on a straight in. I like your shot better.
Skin

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
vapros said:

Vapros,
Your shot is way more feasable, I like sticking him behind the one also, as opposed to balls flying all over with him needing only one.

Dick <--does like the occasional TV shot though (for $5 tops.)

senor

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Dick <--does like the occasional TV shot though (for $5 tops.)

You forgot to mention these kinds of shots usually keep the suckers, oops, I mean customers happy.

BTW, the shot vapros described is the only shot I saw.

Just to drive home a point, while this shot from WOP could be called decoration, as vapros described it, it does serve a more useful purpose. Shots like the ones diagrammed, while over-the-top, do allow us to think more imaginatively, think outside the box, and hopefully use the same concept that the shot shows us in different situations.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
senor said:
You forgot to mention these kinds of shots usually keep the suckers, oops, I mean customers happy.

BTW, the shot vapros described is the only shot I saw.

Just to drive home a point, while this shot from WOP could be called decoration, as vapros described it, it does serve a more useful purpose. Shots like the ones diagrammed, while over-the-top, do allow us to think more imaginatively, think outside the box, and hopefully use the same concept that the shot shows us in different situations.

Very well said Senor...words for 1P players to live by.

All the top 1P talents look for shots even good solid players might overlook...let alone attempt.

That is why they are at the top. Ronnie Allen, Scott Frost, and of course Efren, are examples of always "thinking outside the box".

Dick <---never had those guys talent...but always had more "Imagination" than John Lennon. (thank God it got me out of trouble more often than into it.)

Last edited:

jay helfert

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Skin said:

Skin

I'll take a wild stab at it cause I gotta go. How'd I do? Or maybe I'll just look at page 2.

I just looked at page 2. I'm not leaving the house for a week now.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AIWh3BPQB3CMNy3DNDY3EMFJ3FUXN3GRmL3HOsK3IMHM3JIwL3KGLM3LDRL4MUoN4NReN4OOcN3PYnl4QdOv3UIWh4Ucpq3kYnl3kbjY3kKrg@3AIWh3BPQB3CMNy3DNDY3EMFJ3FUXN3GRmL3HOsK3IMHM3JIwL3KGLM3LDRL4MUoN4NReN4OOcN3PYnl4QdGu3UIWh4UKrg3VPQB3VOiW3Vbmt2VKbt4VVcG3WMNy4WWrd3XNDY4XKjB3YMFJ1YEWo4YaDe3kYnl3kPYH3kLYr3kJta3kBOt@[/CUETABLE]

I bet Eddie Robin shot that one. Al Miller was too smart. High risk to just get one ball.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Skin said:
This fun problem is from Winning One-Pocket, p.121. Happened in a game betwen Al Miller and Eddie Robin (no info on who shot it).
Skin, that layout must have been from the WOP first edition. It's not on p. 121 of the second edition, although it may be on another page.

Doc

Skin

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
Skin, that layout must have been from the WOP first edition. It's not on p. 121 of the second edition, although it may be on another page.

Doc

Doc, I must have a second printing of the 1/e because it has the Errata Sheet for the first printing in it.

Skin

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Skin said:
Doc, I must have a second printing of the 1/e because it has the Errata Sheet for the first printing in it.
Perhaps so. But it's also likely that the errata sheet was incorporated as a filler for the 1st edition. Look on the first few pages. It should say which edition it is.

If it's a second edition, there will be a "Preface to Second Edition" portion on page vii.

Doc

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
Skin said:

Skin

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AIWh3BPQB3CMNy3DNDY3EMFJ3FUXN3GRmL3HOsK3IMHM3JIwL3KGLM3LDRL4MUoN4NReN4OOcN3PYnl4QdOv@3AIWh3BPQB3CMNy3DNDY3EMFJ3FUXN3GRmL3HOsK3IMHM3JIwL3KGLM3LDRL4MUoN4NReN4OOcN3PYnl4QdGu3UIWh4UKrg3VPQB3VOiW3Vbmt2VKbt4VVcG3WMNy4WWrd3XNDY4XKjB3YMFJ1YEWo4YaDe3kYnl3kPYH3kLYr3kJta3kBOt@[/CUETABLE]

Something like this? I shot at the wrong hole. But it looks like a good shot at the wrong hole! Oldtimers disease. Looks like you shoot the combo to me.[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com I/P/?@3AHAj3BOqt3CLor3DMVR3ELXA3PaEl3VOqt3VNTg3VMmW3VNDa3VNcd3VadV3WLor4Wbyk3WKyO3WMNQ3kaEl3kRDw1kJEi1kaoV1kbFQ@[/CUETABLE]

Last edited:

Skin

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
Perhaps so. But it's also likely that the errata sheet was incorporated as a filler for the 1st edition. Look on the first few pages. It should say which edition it is.

If it's a second edition, there will be a "Preface to Second Edition" portion on page vii.

Doc

It's 1/e (1993). The errata sheet is bound into the binding. Don't know if they caught the errors in the proofs before going to press and just decided to bind in the errata sheet instead of making the corrections in the text or if they caught them after a first press run and decided to make another run with the sheet in there. It doesn't really matter, I suppose. The 2/e is supposed to be better anyway.

Skin