Smith vs jones updates

Crow

Danny won he's playing josh roberts for 10k now I believe.
It was 16 games Danny to 8 games jj

phil dade

Verified Member
From
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
I believe it was worth the $19.95 event pass fee. While the match was not close, there were many well played games and interesting shots. The pockets were extremely tight and both players impressed me. At any time, I was expecting JJ to catch a gear. Either guy can strike and end a game, making it happen with little to work with.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Danny was clearly the better player yesterday, his ball pocketing skills were several notches above Jeremy's. Jeremy never was able to get it together , I believe the tightness of the table was just too intimidating to him, however, Smith was very comfortable with the table and it certainly showed, to me that was the difference. Danny showed a lot of creativity by playing exotic banks that required good cue ball control by using distance as the main ingredient in his recipe for success. Smith will be very difficult to beat on that table, Imo it will take a player like Pagulayan, or Orcullio. These two guys have great ball striking ability along with the understanding of how to play "lock down" one pocket. Who ever plays Danny is going to need those two attributes because of the type of player Danny is. Danny is a very confident player with a great understanding of how to play one pocket on a very tight table. However, the chink in his armor is, at times he gets a little reckless and he challenges his opponent by leaving distance too often, which may not work against the worlds best ball strikers. Frost also would be a player that could give Danny problems but I think the better suited player would be the one that strikes the balls the best, which would be Pagulayan or Orcullio. Jmo.

Dr. Bill

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Good analysis, Bill. I didn't see the match, but your description gave good insights into the players.

BTW, you've been to Buffalos. I'm wondering which table they used? Front room, or back? This must have been Buff's first streaming event.

~Doc

keoneyo

Verified Member
Danny was clearly the better player yesterday, his ball pocketing skills were several notches above Jeremy's. Jeremy never was able to get it together , I believe the tightness of the table was just too intimidating to him, however, Smith was very comfortable with the table and it certainly showed, to me that was the difference. Danny showed a lot of creativity by playing exotic banks that required good cue ball control by using distance as the main ingredient in his recipe for success. Smith will be very difficult to beat on that table, Imo it will take a player like Pagulayan, or Orcullio. These two guys have great ball striking ability along with the understanding of how to play "lock down" one pocket. Who ever plays Danny is going to need those two attributes because of the type of player Danny is. Danny is a very confident player with a great understanding of how to play one pocket on a very tight table. However, the chink in his armor is, at times he gets a little reckless and he challenges his opponent by leaving distance too often, which may not work against the worlds best ball strikers. Frost also would be a player that could give Danny problems but I think the better suited player would be the one that strikes the balls the best, which would be Pagulayan or Orcullio. Jmo.

Dr. Bill

Great analysis Dr. Bill. I find it amazing that it was only a little more than a year ago Dennis was coming in to the local establishments to play some of our best one pocket players cheap $100 sets to "learn" the game. Actually lost a set to one of our best, One Pocket Rich.
Dennis kept challenging himself. And you could see his serious dedication to advancing his knowledge of the game.
In the mean time he would get on Skype on his laptop between sets to talk to his wife and baby. I dont know if he has the opportunity to play the game in the Phillipines but his dedication to his profession and family was to me very impressive.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Great analysis Dr. Bill. I find it amazing that it was only a little more than a year ago Dennis was coming in to the local establishments to play some of our best one pocket players cheap $100 sets to "learn" the game. Actually lost a set to one of our best, One Pocket Rich.
Dennis kept challenging himself. And you could see his serious dedication to advancing his knowledge of the game.
In the mean time he would get on Skype on his laptop between sets to talk to his wife and baby. I dont know if he has the opportunity to play the game in the Phillipines but his dedication to his profession and family was to me very impressive.

Dennis has been 'learning' One Pocket for several years now. Three years ago he asked me to teach him for $10 a game but was then called to a tournament match. We never got down after that but I was sure he was hustling me. The next year we sweated a match together between Feijen and Ochoa. He is and was very intent on learning.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Smith vs jones updates

Great summary of course Dr Bill. I enjoyed watching this match. It seemed Danny got looser as the match went on and boy does he like to shoot at his hole. I imagine a match with he and Frost would be one of the fastest matches of the year for sure :)

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Buffalo switched out the red table tops for blue labels. A couple of them are around four inches. Heavy smoke smelling room where most of the action is.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Good analysis, Bill. I didn't see the match, but your description gave good insights into the players.

BTW, you've been to Buffalos. I'm wondering which table they used? Front room, or back? This must have been Buff's first streaming event.

~Doc

Art, I have never been to Buffalos and don't really know how the room is laid out. (front room back room?) I talked to Frost today and he told me that Buffalos put different tops on the tables (two tables) 4-1/8" pockets. I guess they want to keep the action going down there, can't blame them.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Dr. Bill

In no way am I trying to devalue Frost's game by saying that Pagulayan and Orcullio would be better suited to beat Danny than Scott, but playing on pockets that small I would rather be the better ball striker, as opposed to trying to win with aggression, which is more conducive to the way Scott plays. Frost would be a favorite against Danny on any table, however, that wasn't my point. There are tables that put Frost over both Pagulayan and Orcullio, but imo it's not tables with extremely tight pockets.

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
In no way am I trying to devalue Frost's game by saying that Pagulayan and Orcullio would be better suited to beat Danny than Scott, but playing on pockets that small I would rather be the better ball striker, as opposed to trying to win with aggression, which is more conducive to the way Scott plays. Frost would be a favorite against Danny on any table, however, that wasn't my point. There are tables that put Frost over both Pagulayan and Orcullio, but imo it's not tables with extremely tight pockets.

Dr. Bill

Who do you make the favorite if Justin Hall and Danny Smith play on a tight table? just curious of your take on that particular match up.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Who do you make the favorite if Justin Hall and Danny Smith play on a tight table? just curious of your take on that particular match up.
Justin Hall at this time has taken a significant leap in terms of credibility, He has won some significant titles in the last several years, including the following.

Southern Classic One Pocket - 2012
Southern Classic Banks - 2012
SC Master of the Table - 2012
DCC Banks Ring Game - 2013
Big Tme Classic One Pocket - 2013

He has also been selected for the Mosconi Cup as one of the players, which is a pretty big deal for any American player. Justin has to be feeling pretty good about his game and he has earned the status of one of America's top players in the games of bank pool and one pocket. In bank pool he may just be the best in the world.

Justin Hall would be the favorite on just about any table over Danny playing one pocket, however, on a table with 4" pockets he's going to have problems he doesn't have on a table with larger pockets.

Danny Smith played out of Toledo Ohio in a pool room that had 3.7" pockets..Tell Justin to cross Toledo out from his book on places to stop, especially if Danny's up there.

Dr. Bill

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
For those of you who have never seen this match, it's the:

Midwest 9 Ball One Pocket Finals Joey Gray vs Danny Smith (Nov 2nd 2013)

It's an excellent match, with both young guns firing in long shots like they're hangers, and both of them banking extremely well...here ya go ----->

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiyIrt-FRoY

- Ghost

PS, When, as in this thread, discussing the best young One Pocket players - D.Smith, J.Roberts, J.Hall...I believe Joey Gray definitely belongs in that conversation.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
For those of you who have never seen this match, it's the:

Midwest 9 Ball One Pocket Finals Joey Gray vs Danny Smith (Nov 2nd 2013)

It's an excellent match, with both young guns firing in long shots like they're hangers, and both of them banking extremely well...here ya go ----->

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiyIrt-FRoY

- Ghost

PS, When, as in this thread, discussing the best young One Pocket players - D.Smith, J.Roberts, J.Hall...I believe Joey Gray definitely belongs in that conversation.
Joey gray plays a solid game of one pocket, and I believe he's right there with Josh and possibly Danny, however, Justin Hall is imo is close to a ball (9/8) better than both Joey, and possibly Danny. I believe Danny is playing slightly over Joey, too much fire power.

Justin Hall playing on 4-1/2" pockets or larger is very hard to hold because of his banking skills. I would compare his game with Bug's game, except he shoots a little straighter than Bugs did. Bugs ran balls better, he had a beautiful touch in close, and a powerful stroke, coupled with his banking prowess made him one of the best. I would of loved to have watched that match..Bugs vs. Justin. Now that's a match that would be extremely entertaining. Both players are super aggressive and neither likes rolling at their banks.:D

Dr. Bill

Last edited: